Things I will NEVER be......(good at)

Mostyn6

Something that will undoubtedly make a few chuckle, but I've got to suffer the humiliation and admit I will never be good at DIY. I make Frank Spencer look like Handy Andy.

So first off, I bought a new (to me) car, but the standard stereo was abysmal. It didn't play a song for more than 20 seconds without skipping a beat, and the radio could only stay on Radio 1 for the duration of my commute. SO I invested in a pretty decent one, This needed a DAB antenna, so I struggled to get the A-frame pillar off, due to BMW using some star shaped torque screw thingeys. A trip to Halfords to buy the right tool helped get it off eventually, aerial fitted, then this morning, attempting to refit the screws, struggled for leverage and cracked the windscreen! £205 plus VAT to replace, and I still didn't get the screw tightened!

Secondly, In a bid to stave of Christmas depression, I've decided to decorate Mostyn Towers. I have spent over £200 on paints, brushes, rollers, dust sheets, trays, tape etc.  I have to say, this has arguably been one of the most stressful things I've ever done. The roller broke mid-stroke, hit the ceiling and then landed on the only exposed inch of beige carpet in my living room. I have bright red blobs everywhere! I have done the walls and around the windows, the ceilings only need the red blobs painting over. Then I have to gloss all the skirting and sills, which will undoubtedly ruin the carpet! Then it's getting everything back into the room!!!!

I daren't start the bedroom. 

I think people who paint and decorate for a living deserve a new level of respect I'd never considered! 

------------------

What are you **** at?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I'm lousy at any changes in life at all. Any changes for my daily routines, very disturbing.

Yes, I'm weird.

Me too. I really don't like change that much. I know what I like and I stick to it. Pretty sure I had tuna, mayo and sweetcorn sandwiches in my lunchbox every single day through five years of secondary school.

It get's to a case where I don't really want to change stuff I need to, just because I can't be bothered. Things like toothbrushes - when they're worn out obviously you get a new one, but I still like the toothbrush I had for a couple months. My phone was broken in the summer, could get a brand new one for free on warranty, was still reluctant though because that's my phone. Guess I'm a bit weird too

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Something that will undoubtedly make a few chuckle, but I've got to suffer the humiliation and admit I will never be good at DIY. I make Frank Spencer look like Handy Andy.

So first off, I bought a new (to me) car, but the standard stereo was abysmal. It didn't play a song for more than 20 seconds without skipping a beat, and the radio could only stay on Radio 1 for the duration of my commute. SO I invested in a pretty decent one, This needed a DAB antenna, so I struggled to get the A-frame pillar off, due to BMW using some star shaped torque screw thingeys. A trip to Halfords to buy the right tool helped get it off eventually, aerial fitted, then this morning, attempting to refit the screws, struggled for leverage and cracked the windscreen! £205 plus VAT to replace, and I still didn't get the screw tightened!

Secondly, In a bid to stave of Christmas depression, I've decided to decorate Mostyn Towers. I have spent over £200 on paints, brushes, rollers, dust sheets, trays, tape etc.  I have to say, this has arguably been one of the most stressful things I've ever done. The roller broke mid-stroke, hit the ceiling and then landed on the only exposed inch of beige carpet in my living room. I have bright red blobs everywhere! I have done the walls and around the windows, the ceilings only need the red blobs painting over. Then I have to gloss all the skirting and sills, which will undoubtedly ruin the carpet! Then it's getting everything back into the room!!!!

I think people who paint and decorate for a living deserve a new level of respect I'd never considered! 

------------------

What are you **** at?

I'm the same as you, but worse. Difference is, I realise this, so never do things like that. :) 

4 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

new technology that comes along including software, I am getting too old to try new tricks, I still use dreamweaver from 2004 god damn it and when the latest windows is released I could just about cry.

Best leave that new fangled ZX81 to the experts then :)

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Best leave that new fangled ZX81 to the experts then :)

oooh they were great, I miss the old computers, I remember coding games in the day without no way of saving, so you had to leave the computer on for 2 weeks without switching it off so you didn't lose the game :D

7 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

oooh they were great, I miss the old computers, I remember coding games in the day without no way of saving, so you had to leave the computer on for 2 weeks without switching it off so you didn't lose the game :D

10 Print "Hello"

20 Go to 10

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

10 Print "Hello"

20 Go to 10

you've just gave me a flashback to something on the ZX Spectrum where you could make it scroll something. I think I used to write something like "Richard smells of poo" and make it scroll to upset my little brother! hahaha

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

you've just gave me a flashback to something on the ZX Spectrum where you could make it scroll something. I think I used to write something like "Richard smells of poo" and make it scroll to upset my little brother! hahaha

Exactly that :)....kids today dont know anything, they spend hours on Halo 5 or whatever....not knowing the hours of fun they could have by watching 'Richard smells of poo' scrolling for hours on end.

Im crap at DIY...Think it should be called LSEDI (Let someone else do it). Would always love to have been good at football too, sadly was not to be.

20 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

remember the noise of the old tape recorder made when loading and after a good 400 years loading it had a 50/50 chance of it actually working.

Yes, when it loaded it felt like you had acheived something, nowadays you feel impatience at waiting 10 seconds or so for a game to load.

38 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

remember the noise of the old tape recorder made when loading and after a good 400 years loading it had a 50/50 chance of it actually working.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yes, when it loaded it felt like you had acheived something, nowadays you feel impatience at waiting 10 seconds or so for a game to load.

I know we are digressing, but this nostalgia is amusing me. I had a TDK 90 minute cassette which I tape-to-tape loads of games on to. Must've had 15 classics on each side! Bombjack, 1942, Commando, Bruce Lee, Ghosts and Goblins, Rambo... loads.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

------------------

What are you **** at?

I'm hopeless at DIY. 

DIY stands for Don't Involve Yourself.

If I attemp anything I usually end up paying someone to put it right.

And I feel a bit of a tit when they see my attempt. 

As others, I'm crap at serious DIY, though I can decorate fine and can do basic electrics like changing switches/sockets etc.

A few months ago, I wanted to change a single socket for a double one and on this occasion had big problems due to some unexpected extra wiring and other issues. I spent nearly a whole Saturday on it and after several trips to B&Q, finally relented and phoned our electrician, who came round about half an hour later and charged me £20 to sort it. I vowed there & then to just ring him in future. Just not worth losing half the weekend & stress for the sake of 20 quid.

I'm also not very good at anything competitive (at least outside of work). I hate all the alpha-male posturing bullshit that comes with playing competitive sports etc. I couldn't give a toss if I win or not. If I play sport, it's because I want to let off a bit of steam and enjoy it & hopefully have a laugh along the way. If other people start to take it too seriously, that's a big turn-off for me.

Archived