iPro patience

Alph

Just like last season, there's been a hell of a lot of mentions about the frustration of the home crowd. 

Ince, Martin, Clement, Johnson, Thorne just off the top of my head recently have either pleaded for more patience or mentioned feeling the frustration. 

I know people will say they should just get on with their jobs etc etc. But maybe we should be more patient. It's not going to hurt is it? 

I thought tonight was really bad. The groaning started within 20 mins as if smashing Bristol is standard. I bet Boro and Hull wish they'd have had to wait such a short time to score their 2nd goals against these. 

Clement and McClaren both have talked about how players feel that tension. Feel the frustration. Both said that it's during frustrating moments in the game that it's then hearing support can give you that bit of a boost

Does anybody agree that perhaps instead of saying 'you're footballers, do your jobs', we could perhaps not try and frustrate our own players and make them feel like they constantly are struggling against us?

You don't need to win every match in the first half. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say this all the time but I think we're probably the worst fans in the Championship. 

We became spoilt in the 2013/14 season and now feel a sense of entitlement that we should be in the PL. To be fair even the media jumped on the wagon, I seem to remember even the BBC had a article comparing us with Barcelona. 

Now if we don't replicate our very best performances from that season (which we never really have) people get frustrated. I'm not sure exactly why, but we seem to have a lot of fans that think that passing backwards is negative and that if we're not running directly at players we are being "lazy" or "pedestrian". 

I think a lot of fans forget that in the other half of the pitch is another team of professional footballers. People that get paid to play football, that train all week just as you and I go to work. 

Then there is the fact that we have a better view from in the stands. Anyone who has ever kicked a ball knows how much harder it is to spot a run and that you don't know how much time you have the ball if you receive the ball to feet facing towards your own goal. 

But in all honesty I'm not sure why we are so much worse than other teams, but it's clear we are. When we were on Sky earlier in the season the pundits said we got on the players backs too quickly.

i dread to think how people will react if we go up and are in a relegation battle. Especially as last years promoted teams are doing okay (especially Watford). I think if we make it to the premier league it will be tougher than it needs to be due to the fans. 

There's a bloke who sits near me who just screams "Forrrrwaaarrdd!" whenever we have the ball. As irritating as that is, the worst part is that he brings his kids and they've started doing exactly the same.

Raising the next generation to think that real football is like playing FIFA on your Xbox.

I don't comment on the actual football element on here because I have never played a game of football nor have I ever kicked a ball other than a wafty beach ball. But I've watched an awful lot of matches over many years. 

Trouble is that too many fans have very little understanding of being in a game but actually think they're experts. And more than that, they're convinced that they are right and everyone else is an idiot. Think I've just hit on the very reason for our toxic atmosphere. 

It's better to have passion and expectation, all this talk of us being the worst in the championship is silly.

As a group of loyal fans going week in week out to follow our team through the lean times we are entitled to raise our level of expectation in the better times and that should feed back to the players on the pitch to encourage them to raise their game, what's the alternative to sit there in silence ? It's football not cricket !

We are respected by other teams as loyal fans and have earned that respect over many years so it's ok to have a moan every now and again, it's because we care !

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don't comment on the actual football element on here because I have never played a game of football nor have I ever kicked a ball other than a wafty beach ball. But I've watched an awful lot of matches over many years. 

Trouble is that too many fans have very little understanding of being in a game but actually think they're experts. And more than that, they're convinced that they are right and everyone else is an idiot. Think I've just hit on the very reason for our toxic atmosphere. 

Yep, you nailed it. IMO the reason is www where you can learn basic tactics etc just sitting at your home. Earlier you had to be on the pitch, training everyday to gain even some of the knowledge which is just one click away nowadays.

I think some people just expect the opposition to lie down and let us smash them, which is never going to happen. Bristol have beaten Boro, drawn to Hull and gave Brighton a competitive good game, yet somehow some of our fans seem to expect us to be 3-0 up inside 20 mins! This isn't just against Bristol either, happens most games against 'weaker' opposition.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Just like last season, there's been a hell of a lot of mentions about the frustration of the home crowd. 

Ince, Martin, Clement, Johnson, Thorne just off the top of my head recently have either pleaded for more patience or mentioned feeling the frustration. 

I know people will say they should just get on with their jobs etc etc. But maybe we should be more patient. It's not going to hurt is it? 

I thought tonight was really bad. The groaning started within 20 mins as if smashing Bristol is standard. I bet Boro and Hull wish they'd have had to wait such a short time to score their 2nd goals against these. 

Clement and McClaren both have talked about how players feel that tension. Feel the frustration. Both said that it's during frustrating moments in the game that it's then hearing support can give you that bit of a boost

Does anybody agree that perhaps instead of saying 'you're footballers, do your jobs', we could perhaps not try and frustrate our own players and make them feel like they constantly are struggling against us?

You don't need to win every match in the first half. 

I think you need to be more patient with these fans.

20 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

And the beauty of it is when we go forward and lose the ball everyone moans and sighs! 

What do you expect?. Applause?

When we are at home we need an urgency. None of ours goals last night were scored from a flooded box, where the visiting team have had chance to pull back in numbers. The patient build up from the back has to take place, but the incisive through balls or the attacking runs are where we pick up goals. 

3 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

What do you expect?. Applause?

I expect us to not berate the players for doing what everyone is moaning about them not doing. 

Choose, there is possession football or attacking/counter attacking football. Which do you want? It's almost impossible to have more possession than the other team if you're looking to attack at every opportunity. 

19 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

It's better to have passion and expectation, all this talk of us being the worst in the championship is silly.

As a group of loyal fans going week in week out to follow our team through the lean times we are entitled to raise our level of expectation in the better times and that should feed back to the players on the pitch to encourage them to raise their game, what's the alternative to sit there in silence ? It's football not cricket !

We are respected by other teams as loyal fans and have earned that respect over many years so it's ok to have a moan every now and again, it's because we care !

There's nothing wrong with encouragement but that's not what we do. 

Of course we expect to be beating Bristol at home. We expect to be competing at the top. We did and we are. Think it was 20 minutes in last night when Johnson ignored Russell and used Keogh and the outbursts from around the ground... We don't have to beat Bristol inside 20 minutes. In fact the team that's top of the league didn't beat them at all. Johnson doesn't need thousands of people berating him because he selected the wrong pass. It actually irritates the players. They've said so.

Like has been said, it's very easy to play football from the seats around the pitch. It's a much quicker and tense affair down on the pitch. And safely sat in our seats we are ruthless on mistakes. 

Obviously there's going to be groans of frustration. That's spontaneous. But it's not spontaneous having a 15 second outburst about Derby's style when it's proven to collect a hell of a lot of points over the last 100+ matches.  

I guess more to the point though it's not about whether it's our right or anything like that.

It's about managers, players and coaches coming out and saying it does not help. That we are "on our backs" according to the likes of Ince and Johnson. Martin, Clement, McClaren have all spoken about how it doesn't help. 

Imagine it. You're down there trying to win a match, desperate to win a match and you've got 30,000 sensitive souls that berate a split second decision you had to make. That are moaning about the job you're desperate to complete. That would get all offended if you criticised them. 

You can say "awww poor ickle footballers" sort of thing. But if people feel like that then why go at all? Do they want to help or hinder? If our players are asking for patience then maybe we could help them with that? Not give them 20 mins to beat another professional Championship team who have done their own scouting, tactics, research. 

Why not just do what the two previous managers have asked for. When we're a bit stuck... up the atmosphere. Get the adrenaline pumping and try to fire the team up instead of make them feel frustrated and like they are crap at what they do. 

I'm sure Derby will continue winning either way. Just if they are asking for patience... give them 90 minutes to win a game. It only took an hour to win yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

I expect us to not berate the players for doing what everyone is moaning about them not doing. 

Choose, there is possession football or attacking/counter attacking football. Which do you want? It's almost impossible to have more possession than the other team if you're looking to attack at every opportunity. 

I think it's a very odd fan who doesn't sigh and feel a moment of disappointment when the ball is lost when attacking

I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact most of our fans have been schooled in the blood & thunder, English way of playing.  Far too many years watching Stevie G on MOTD covering every blade of glass and launching Hollywood balls as quickly as possible to the front men.  PC doesn't want us to play that way, we're a bit more continental, the first rule is keep the ball and be patient.  Schteve couldn't find a happy balance between the frenetic pace we played at when he first came in and how we play now, he tried but couldn't.  Whereas PC can...

No it's not quite as exciting, as before but different managers will bring different ideas.  Much rather this than the survival ball we had under Nigel...

I don't think we're that different to other clubs.

For reasons beyond my control I've been in the home terracing at Brentford and watched Arsenal play a couple of times as well recently, and thought the beratings they gave their players were much stronger than any moanings at Derby, and the home sides won all the games!

I think last night was a special case to be honest. Paul Clement hasn't changed the system, and hasn't really changed personnel (that wasn't forced) since we got that first win of the season. While most of us on here have a lot of faith in PC, there are still many fans wary of the fact this is his first head coach role.

The negativity yesterday after the team selection was announced was staggering, and I believe that had something to do with the dead hush and the early moaning (I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen in other games, but last night was easily the worst game of the season from that perspective, at least the worst first half). That result will have done wonders for PC's reputation among many of the more skeptical (or cynical) fans. 

I don't think there was much moaning to be honest, expressions of frustration at misplaced passes or lack of movement is natural.

However, the silence and lack of support was extremely concerning. It's like we are saying earn our support. Surely our record this season means they get it unequivocally?

The chairman, manager and players have all said how much a noisy and supportive atmosphere can help the team be successful, why do we struggle to reproduce it on a consistent basis?

Just now, The 1884 Group said:

I don't think there was much moaning to be honest, expressions of frustration at misplaced passes or lack of movement is natural.

However, the silence and lack of support was extremely concerning. It's like we are saying earn our support. Surely our record this season means they get it unequivocally?

The chairman, manager and players have all said how much a noisy and supportive atmosphere can help the team be successful, why do we struggle to reproduce it on a consistent basis?

@Srg implied in the matchday thread, singing (as much as we like to think its not) is largely reactionary and they didn't bring any fans. Plus, a lot of fans went into that game thinking it was going to be a walkover, almost had a lower league cup game feel to it.

No-one really tried to initiate any singing, just don't think anyone was in the mood. It happens. If it happens in the next home game, then be concerned. And I will join you. 

Archived