Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I have been in a similar position recently as was made redundant and I was applying for jobs far junior then the role I was made redundant from.

Inevitable questions were are you going to get bored really quickly, are you just going to leave after you find a better job, will you not miss managing people etc. But after I knew I was going to be asked about this in every interview then I quickly came up with positive tailored responses in advance. 

Forewarned is forearmed, so if you think that you are being rejected on the basis of your PhD and not being the right fit in the business then you have chance to turn that round during the interview when they start probing around that - give them examples of how you're a great team player for example in your social life, how you've worked on projects that have required collaboration with other team members etc etc. 

The positive thing which you probably don't see at this moment is that you are getting interviews. 

Thanks for the advice Tyler, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely try to work on this! I really wish you look as well with your job hunt 🙂 

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Stay strong mate, hopefully something will turn up for you soon , fingers crossed for you

Thanks. I've got a good shot at a post-doc opportunity at Oxford as the lead likes my research but it's still a relatively long shot. If not I've got potentially some teaching lined up at Leeds for at least a semester to cover rent and they owe me 2k back pay as well. That and some savings fingers crossed it'll all be okay.

25 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Interviews aren't always what they seem. The example you gave is a classic one of too clever for what we need or too experienced. The purpose of the statement is (sometimes/often) to see how the interviewee reacts to the situation. Ultimately,  any businesses will always be better off with overqualified staff for a given job rather than the opposite. Think a PL player playing L1, that will work. A L1 player playing Champions League not as much.

A PhD is a stamped and sealed way to demonstrate that someone excels academically. I work for a firm that employs quite a few of these folks. The reason for hiring them are not the diploma itself but the skills, intellect and determination they bring, which are required to get a PhD.  That is what the interviewers want to know about.

Hope it works out for you. All the best.

Thanks. My mum says that I'm in a bit of a grey area as am overqualified for a lot of positions but not experienced enough for a lot of stuff in the private sector which puts me a little in between a rock and a hard place. But hopefully it'll all work out.

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks. I've got a good shot at a post-doc opportunity at Oxford as the lead likes my research but it's still a relatively long shot. If not I've got potentially some teaching lined up at Leeds for at least a semester to cover rent and they owe me 2k back pay as well. That and some savings fingers crossed it'll all be okay.

Hope it works out for you mate