DCFC Ambassadors

Animal is a Ram

Derby County have announced that three influential former Rams players have taken up ambassadorial roles at the club.

Roy McFarland, Roger Davies and Michael Johnson all enjoyed successful spells with the Rams and remain popular figures amongst supporters.

Derby County boasts a proud and illustrious history and Chairman Mel Morris has stated his intention to connect with the local community.

Appointing club ambassadors is viewed as a key part of that process - using their standing and reputation in the local area to engage and help the Derbyshire community. 

President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “I am delighted that Roy, Roger and Michael have taken up ambassadorial positions here at Derby County.

“I have had the pleasure of getting to know the three individuals in recent years and they all share a burning desire to see Derby County be successful both on and off the pitch.

“They are all popular players, who have served the club fantastically in the past, and I am sure that they will contribute greatly in their new positions moving forward.”

McFarland will work with the board on corporate matters while Davies, who will be based at the club on a full-time basis, will be involved in community projects - and Johnson will feature heavily in Derby’s inclusion and anti-discrimination work. 

McFarland was a big hit during 15 years and two spells at the Baseball Ground over the course of the 1960s, 70s and 80s and is considered one of Derby County’s all-time greats for his outstanding displays in central defence, as well as captaining the side. Capped by England on 28 occasions during his career, McFarland was the first-ever winner of Derby County’s Player of the Year Award, the Jack Stamps Trophy. He also went on to manage the club in the 1990s.

Davies joined Derby from non-league Worcester City in 1971 and the striker went on to become a regular name on the scoresheet for the club. He featured heavily in the 1974/75 First Division title-winning season and scored all five goals in a 5-0 win over Luton Town on Easter Saturday, which proved to be a significant result in the season’s final outcome. He also recorded an impressive hat-trick against Tottenham Hotspur in a 5-3 FA Cup victory in 1973. He returned, briefly, for second spell in the late 1970s.

Defender Johnson joined Derby from Birmingham City in August 2003 and established himself as a key player. He quickly became a popular figure with supporters and featured regularly in the 2006/07 season as the Rams achieved promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs. He also wore the captain’s armband on several occasions, displaying excellent leadership qualities.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Wasn't Michael Johnson kicked out of a similar FA anti-discrimination role because of his views on homosexuality?

Johnson came from a strongly religious background and was spouting what he'd been taught, but I believe he has since repudiated and apologized for his past comments (I could be wrong). Society has moved very quickly to change long-held views on homosexuality (and it's great that it has) but not everyone moves at the same speed and I think it's good not to judge people too harshly if they're prepared to change (and I'm not saying for a minute that TRHR was judging Johnson at all - just commenting on the issue).

However, one thing I would judge Johnson on is that I always thought he was a red dog to his core and I find it very strange to see him appointed in this capacity because of that!

1 minute ago, sage said:

I bow to your experience Sir. 

Whilst making sure you stay in front of me, obviously. 

I hope you will invite me to your "coming out" party - it can surely be no more than a couple of years away. I have a bottle of Babycham on ice in readiness X

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I hope you will invite me to your "coming out" party - it can surely be no more than a couple of years away. I have a bottle of Babycham on ice in readiness X

For some reason, at 1st glance I read that as Boyciesham!

Need my eyes testing maybe?

Cheap, 

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

For some reason, at 1st glance I read that as Boyciesham!

Need my eyes testing maybe?

I think you probably thought something with little fizz, from the past, quite cheap and something you might not want to experience more than once a year.  Good old Boyciesham.

Archived