Derby County v Brighton

Day

7 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It hit both hands Hand ball!

Though it'd be a one in a million he could catch the ball and that wouldn't necessarily make it handball. What difference does it make it hit both hands? And which handball are you on about? Are you on about the Weimann hitting it against Dunk one?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I actually completely disagree with that. Putting your arms out doesn't actually make you a bigger target. It just moves your arms to a different position. But the player still present the same area of flesh that can block the ball. It's a bit like the Archimedes principle. If a player moves their arms to make themselves a star shape then the space by their sides have been vacated. The only way to make yourself a bigger target is to all of a sudden gain weight, chop your arms off or do something ridiculous like put their hands behind their back (a ******* travesty of the modern game). How would you propose that Dunk, whilst in position in which he has spread his legs to block the ball, could do this with his arms behind his back? He'd likely injure himself. So should he not dive in? Should he not compete in the competitive sport he has chosen as a profession?

The onus is on the player who strikes the ball to hit it past the defender. Handball has to be deliberate. That's the rule. I can stand there with my arms out if I want. You have to hit it past me. 

Nevertheless, Dunk didn't do any of the things you said he did. His arms were tucked in.

I've just realised chopping your arms off would make you a smaller target but you get my meaning.

Some good, reasonable posts here - some pointless vitriol - and some who need to interpret other comment with greater care! I leave you to decide which is which....

Who knows how the rest of the season will pan out - but good luck for the rest of the season. May you end up one place below us and may those who require it get some anger management therapy! Good luck!

I thought we had way more chances pressure and possession.  Brighton did very well tho and nearly stole the game with a classic away performance. Not sure how they would play at home. Maybe the same?

35 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

You weren't rampant and you aren't particularly talented. Hughton is known as a percentage manager hence his ejection from Norwich. You conned an crap referee in the first half.You have several players who are proven not to be able to play a full season ( Greer, Zamora, Bruno and the other geriatric Spaniard). March is clearly injured as he was taken off. Wilson is carrying an injury as his running was impaired.  you had a very poor season last season and have a limited squad so why are my comments deluded? You won't last 46 games with the current squad. Hughton is a failed percentage manager who has got lucky- and you have no money.

He was saying you were talented and rampant! Take a moment to read the post again!

Here's my blue tinted perspective.

I thought Derby were the best side we've played this season and I thought you were the better side from start to finish and if we'd taken all 3 points it would have been pretty harsh on you.

That said, it took two set pieces to unlock us and I thought Gordon Greer and Lewis Dunk were superb for us at the back. Our back 4 today have all been at the club for years and I think we're benefiting from that. Dunk's diving block with his head was insanely brave and his tackle after Ince's shocking back pass absolutely superb. We turned down a £5m bid from Fulham in the summer for Dunk and I think he's one of best centre backs in the league to be honest.

I thought it was brave of us to play 4-4-2, yes we play it most weeks but giving up a man in midfield, to a midfield as strong as yours, away from home showed a lot of belief in Kayal & Stephens. I thought those two did a tremendous job for us. They cover so much ground and that lets us have two wide men and two strikers on the pitch which gives us that little bit of extra punch going forward compared to the 4-3-3 variants most sides play these days.

No complaints with the penalty, as soon as Greer slid in I winced thinking 'Oh no'. Weird game to reflect on. Disappointed not to win having been so close to a result, disappointed with the performance but at the same time, great effort by our lads, should all be very proud of themselves and I think we showed signs of why we're a good side.

We defend well and in numbers, we've got two excellent centre mids who allow the wide men and forwards the opportunity to express themselves, we can knock it about, we can break with pace, I think we've got a lot of answers in our team to a lot of questions and ultimately that's why we've gone unbeaten for such a long time.

Weaving slightly off topic from the game itself with a couple of final thoughts. Seen a lot of comments on here and twitter wit you guys discussing who is your best midfield combination and who should be playing out wide. It's a nice problem for you to have because as you well know, most of your back up players would be starters for the majority of your competitors. However I do wonder if one of our strengths in comparison is our lack of options. Don't get me wrong, an injury to Kayal or Stephens and we're in bother, but whilst they are fit, there is no debate as to who is playing there and how they are going to play. Final thought was your fans. Easily the loudest home support we come up against in this division. Very impressive.

1 hour ago, cunningplan said:

So in your view Derby County playing away (and winning) against a talented and rampant opposition would not resort to some professional time wasting tactics that would see the game out? That's delusional!

i'm not talking about doing it in the 80th minute onwards or even 38minutes ish!, i'm talking about doing it 14minutes in at 0-0!

Archived