RIP Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor

rezner

Motorhead drummer Dead at 61. 

I know there's a few rock fans on here, so thought I'd post this sad news.

RIP Phil

Sad news from the world of rock; former Motörhead drummer Phil Taylor has passed away at the age of 61. According to former bandmate "Fast" Eddie Clarke, who posted the news on his Facebook page today, "Philthy Phil" had been unwell for some time.

In a tribute, Clarke said: "My dear friend and brother passed away last night. He had been ill for sometime [sic] but that does not make it any easier when the time finally comes. I have known Phil since he was 21 and he was one hell of a character. Fortunately we made some fantastic music together and I have many many fond memories of our time together. Rest in Peace, Phil!"

Taylor joined Motörhead in 1975 during the recording of their first album 'On Parole', when he was brought in to replace original drummer Lucas Fox. Phil overdubbed all of Fox's tracks except for 'Lost Johnny', as he was being held in custody following an arrest for alleged drunk-and-disorderly conduct when that session was due to take place!

Lemmy apparently hired Taylor, "because he had a car and could give us a lift back down to the studio, the drummer we had wasn't working out very well and Phil kept saying that he could play".

Taylor had a profound impact on the band, introduced them to "Fast" Eddie Clarke, as they went on to worldwide success. He left the band in1984, rejoining from 1987 to 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

A truly great drummer, one of the very best that ever lived. 

Lars Ulrich of Metallica credits Phil Taylor as the best drummer ever and his inspiration when taking up drumming. That in itself tells me how good this man was RIP dude, the heavens will be "Rocking Out Tonight"

I didn't want to put a downer on things but, Lars aint the greatest drummer and if he thinks Taylor was the best , well that proves it.

Sorry but there are far better drummers out there. I thought Taylor was great ,a top rock drummer, but the best, no.

Lets talk Peart, Portnoy, Rich, Jordison and Bonham to name a few that are better.:cool:

Don't mean to offend at all, sorry. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, rezner said:

I didn't want to put a downer on things but, Lars aint the greatest drummer and if he thinks Taylor was the best , well that proves it.

Sorry but there are far better drummers out there. I thought Taylor was great ,a top rock drummer, but the best, no.

Lets talk Peart, Portnoy, Rich, Jordison and Bonham to name a few that are better.:cool:

I know what you mean - and Lars Ulrich has easily the worst drumming ability to fame ratio in the whole of the music industry!

But drumming is subjective - I can admire prog and jazz drummers like the ones you mention, but I don't enjoy listening to their complex drumming. A drummer who keeps it simple and powerful and plays with his heart not his head will always get me, so I know where Lars is coming from

Taylor's drumming in Motorhead was primal, and totally at one with the music - that's what makes a drummer special

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I know what you mean - and Lars Ulrich has easily the worst drumming ability to fame ratio in the whole of the music industry!

But drumming is subjective - I can admire prog and jazz drummers like the ones you mention, but I don't enjoy listening to their complex drumming. A drummer who keeps it simple and powerful and plays with his heart not his head will always get me, so I know where Lars is coming from

Taylor's drumming in Motorhead was primal, and totally at one with the music - that's what makes a drummer special

Worra bhat Dave Clark from Dave Clark five:unsure:, I'll get my coat.

14 hours ago, rezner said:

Don't mean to offend at all, sorry. :thumbsup:

Opinions dude we all have em, Lars for me is an absolute legend 

Archived