Sportscene tonight on Radio Derby with Mel

Day

26 minutes ago, curtains said:

But will Max Lowe be the answer for us to stay in the Premier League. 

I think you're being a little pedantic by focusing on the fact Mel named Max Lowe. Surely you can see the gist of what he's getting at - bringing in quality players from the academy through to the first team like Southampton did when they went up was instrumental in their success and sustainability. I somehow don't think Mel was pinning all of Derby's future success on one single academy prospect.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

But the point is the quality of the academy players in my eyes are not of the Will Hughes standards. 

Its just my opinion but Mel needs to keep his eyes open  

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a long term goal. The next Will Hughes could be a 13 year old right now, stop thinking Lowe, Rawson, Bennett will keep us in the Prem.

9 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

And to add to that, it's not what he suggested, he said that the Academy could be the way to give Derby a sustainable future. 

Could be a way but where are these players like Bale and Kane etc. 

The standard of the Premier League allows no time for introducing might make it players  .

Look at Aston Villa. 

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I think you're being a little pedantic by focusing on the fact Mel named Max Lowe. Surely you can see the gist of what he's getting at - bringing in quality players from the academy through to the first team like Southampton did when they went up was instrumental in their success and sustainability. I somehow don't think Mel was pinning all of Derby's future success on one single academy prospect.

Ok then which ones can you see knocking our first team players out the team now for the Championship or the even tougher Premier League. 

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

What you've got to take into consideration is that no one will want to stay in the prem more than Mel. He's investing big in the academy for the future, he believes the way forward is to keep unearthing a Hendrick or Hughes, leaving a pathway from the academy to the first team to attract the best young talent out there.

Like I said, lets enjoy the journey for now and worry about world domination in a year or two.

Just don't believe it or not want Mel to waste all his money on the academy. 

Good luck though Mel Morris you are fantastic for Derby County. 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok then which ones can you see knocking our first team players out the team now for the Championship or the even tougher Premier League. 

I think you're missing the point. As a few have already tried to explain to you it's more about the academy in general producing talented players in the next 5 years making the first team, rather than us getting promoted this season and swapping out our first team for the U21's, which I think is what conclusion you've drawn. 

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I think you're missing the point. As a few have already tried to explain to you it's more about the academy in general producing talented players in the next 5 years making the first team, rather than us getting promoted this season and swapping out our first team for the U21's, which I think is what conclusion you've drawn. 

Are we using too many syllables do you think?

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

DCFC fans  - hey mentioned!!!!! he just reads!!! The wit.....

I'm sure I heard something like 'Shining Wit' - must have been talking about McSilks

35 minutes ago, curtains said:

Your 100 percent right but he did infer the likes of Max Lowe  who is a good prospect IMO bye the way  would be the type of players to come from the academy to keep us up in the Premier League. 

I just don't agree with that assumption and I would suggest we would need to have more ideas than that. 

You don't seriously think that after spending £20 million in the Championship he's just going to chuck youth players into the first team once we reach the Prem do you? You're going on as if Mel's said we aren't going to spend any money once we achieve promotion because we have a few promising academy players, which isn't the case at all.

6 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

You don't seriously think that after spending £20 million in the Championship he's just going to chuck youth players into the first team once we reach the Prem do you? You're going on as if Mel's said we aren't going to spend any money once we achieve promotion because we have a few promising academy players, which isn't the case at all.

Yes I think that's his aim. 

Archived