Will the Academy reap the rewards.

Curtains

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really looking forward to a first class academy... Surely everybody wants that @curtains ,you want a good academy don't you? Money needs to be spent if you want a high class academy, as @uptherams states, you can unearth a gem and it would pay for it ten fold! 

1 hour ago, ValeRam said:

Forest have a policy of quantity not quality and their approach should be a cause for concern, not to us but to the football establishment

Of my son's village U17 team last year in the nottingham league, four went on to carry on their education (football and otherwise)  with the Forest academy. Of those, perhaps one merited it. I would be truly astounded if he ever made it. The others were not bad but very average players who you would happily put in your local pub team when they were big enough.

So the approach should, as i say, be quality not quantity.

You are right , Ramsb, it is a competition between clubs. If I were a parent of a promising youngster, I would be baseing my choice on such things as past record, current facilities and overall philosophy about promoting youth from within. There is no point in such kids joining teams in most if not all of the Premier : they will not get a look in. Hence why the Rams approach of focussing in this area could very well pay dividends.

One of my son's friends is doing his F.E. with Forest's academy, as part of their Futsal squad, having seen him play I'd be amazed if he ever turned pro, but he needed decent grades to get in so maybe it's more an academic opportunity than a football one.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

One of my son's friends is doing his F.E. with Forest's academy, as part of thier Futsal squad, having seen him play I'd be amazed if he ever turned pro, but he needed decent grades to get in so maybe it's more an academic opportunity than a football one.

Isn't that the way that billy tried to run things at our academy in a way to get his own son in there?

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Isn't that the way that billy tried to run things at our academy in a way to get his own son in there?

I couldn't tell you, I've erased all memories of BD's time at Derby!

I'm sure someone on here will know.

8 hours ago, curtains said:

Seems very costly .

Hope it works 

27 staff now and new buildings etc etc. 

It does seem costly, I guess. Money wasted, though? Yeah hope it works too. What will happen if it doesn't? Can't see it being negative in any way. 

Will the academy reap the rewards?

Who knows, there will always be an element of luck in bringing players through, we've all played with kids at school and wondered how on earth they didn't get signed.

Something I like about Mel's input so far, financially speaking, is it seems split fairly evenly between player purchase and infrastructure investment.

Spending £10 million on players doesn't guarantee anything though, but the same amount spent on facilities can make a massive difference to the club for years to come.

This chairman is the dogs ********! Better even! He's on point. As are Rush and Walsall and Clement. On the academy I would have liked to hear a player by player summary of which ones are where but they'd never do that in a forum like that ... Somewhere in there there was an offhanded mention of Max Lowe being on the cusp ... Can't wait to see him play at the ipro! Then we've got will Hughes Hendrick Hanson zanzala rawson santos Bennett ... And the ones we don't even know yet who will blossom in the months ahead.

Outside the derby bred youth we have the imports : the amazing George Thorne is still a baby ! And Christie Ince Johnson JR Martin are all pretty young too. The future is beyond bright here ... I like the challenge for the academy to mimic the first team in all it does and for PC to not be so result orientated that he's afraid to blood in our youth as he's doing with Hanson. To slot the likes of zanzala or max Lowe in the odd games isn't going to upset the apple cart. 

really loved the PC stats too - showing how creative we are in passing yet we have the most stalwart defense etc etc ... Quick to win the ball back This isn't smoke and mirror stuff of the past its all very considered and very impressive. 7th heaven to be watching us evolve.  We need to create more chances for sure but that's down to Bryson and Hughes being out and I'm sure pc is making it a training ground focus, we've seen improvement there already.

I watched the full recording of the Fans' Evening on Ramsplayer tonight. Stunning performance from the Panel. I previously thought that Mel was very good, he is in fact, truly exceptional.The plans for the Academy are awesome.Mel is building something unique.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

This chairman is the dogs ********! Better even! He's on point. As are Rush and Walsall and Clement. On the academy I would have liked to hear a player by player summary of which ones are where but they'd never do that in a forum like that ... Somewhere in there there was an offhanded mention of Max Lowe being on the cusp ... Can't wait to see him play at the ipro! Then we've got will Hughes Hendrick Hanson zanzala rawson santos Bennett ... And the ones we don't even know yet who will blossom in the months ahead.

Outside the derby bred youth we have the imports : the amazing George Thorne is still a baby ! And Christie Ince Johnson JR Martin are all pretty young too. The future is beyond bright here ... I like the challenge for the academy to mimic the first team in all it does and for PC to not be so result orientated that he's afraid to blood in our youth as he's doing with Hanson. To slot the likes of zanzala or max Lowe in the odd games isn't going to upset the apple cart. 

really loved the PC stats too - showing how creative we are in passing yet we have the most stalwart defense etc etc ... Quick to win the ball back This isn't smoke and mirror stuff of the past its all very considered and very impressive. 7th heaven to be watching us evolve.  We need to create more chances for sure but that's down to Bryson and Hughes being out and I'm sure pc is making it a training ground focus, we've seen improvement there already.

Walsall are on 29 points at present

16 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I watched the full recording of the Fans' Evening on Ramsplayer tonight. Stunning performance from the Panel. I previously thought that Mel was very good, he is in fact, truly exceptional.The plans for the Academy are awesome.Mel is building something unique.

Most exciting era for Derby in a very long time. Nicely put, Rampage. 

12 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Mel is striving for excellence. To attract excellent staff you need to offer an excellent package. We are building now for the premier league. Moor Farm upon completion they were saying will be in the top six in EUROPE regarding facilities. We want to attract the best we need to show we are the real deal. This is a stunning time for DCFC.

Top 6 to 10 in Europe was the quote, and it depends how much trust you place in a comment allegedly made by an FA coaching mandarin. I'm guessing Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Man U, Chelsea in the top 5, then us in with AC Milan, Man City, Juventus, Ajax type clubs in the top 10. 

Meh. Come on Mel, getcha finger out. :)

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Will the academy reap the rewards?

Who knows, there will always be an element of luck in bringing players through, we've all played with kids at school and wondered how on earth they didn't get signed.

Something I like about Mel's input so far, financially speaking, is it seems split fairly evenly between player purchase and infrastructure investment.

Spending £10 million on players doesn't guarantee anything though, but the same amount spent on facilities can make a massive difference to the club for years to come.

I think this is the best indication (if there was any doubt) that Mel is in it for the long haul.

The academy as it was 12 months ago attracted players both young and old but only to a degree because it was on par with the other 17 that are within competition. Fast forward to now and the academy is making those younger players who are die hard Forest, Stoke, Wolves fans etc who would want to play for their team, think twice because the facilities are now much better than who they support. With things only getting better and better, they will attract virtually every quality player from u7 right through to the first team because we have the facilities to do that.

They have development centres set up all across the midlands now which in time will bring those special players through the door. Involvement with every school will also do this.

Build it and they will come and Derby are doing just that.

On 29 October 2015 10:57:06, ramsbottom said:

Only time will tell.  If we end up rolling out a Hendrick, Hanson or Hughes every 2/3 years it pays for itself.  You only have to look at Southampton to see how concentrating on youth can reap dividends...

Or Crewe :o

ajax have a tremendous academy. 

They produce tons of players.

right now they have bazoer, riedewald, tete, veltman and klaasen all breaking through.

strange thing is though that their reserve side is usually pretty shiite.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

ajax have a tremendous academy. 

They produce tons of players.

right now they have bazoer, riedewald, tete, veltman and klaasen all breaking through.

strange thing is though that their reserve side is usually pretty shiite.

Probably because they sell half their first team most years!

Archived