Will the Academy reap the rewards.

Curtains

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

What you talking about .

Ive made several replies. 

The academy is vital to DCFC and I hope it works out fruitfully for the club. 

No it's all about discussion. 

So just for discussions sake, were you happier with the academy before Mel invested to improve it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Do some people wake up in the morning and write a list of things to be negative about in life or is it just a wind up for the forum?

Bit of both I think. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Whenever someone mentions something positive you have a comeback with something to dampen the positivity. A poster praises our facilities and says how it made a PL footballer instantly want to join. You immediately reply with the fact Norwich got £6mil (still not sure how it's relevant)

Do you know how transfers work? If we have better facilities we'll naturally have better players wanting to come here & better young players wanting to develop here. Struggle to see how this is anything but positive for the club but I'm sure you'll find a way of turning it negative

One of the questions last night was about Chris Martin and what we do if he got injured. 

Mel said how would you attract a player to replace Chris Martin if he wouldn't get many games .

How does that fit with the academy then. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

One of the questions last night was about Chris Martin and what we do if he got injured. 

Mel said how would you attract a player to replace Chris Martin if he wouldn't get many games .

You can have the best facilities in the world but why would a player join to sit on the bench?

Mel's point is there's no point in getting a Martin understudy unless they're good enough to replace him. And nobody good enough to replace him would want to leave their current club where I expect they're already playing to sit on the bench and wait for an opportunity that may never come.

Thats nothing to do with the academy or facilities it's players wanting to play football.

Just now, Kernow said:

You can have the best facilities in the world but why would a player join to sit on the bench?

Mel's point is there's no point in getting a Martin understudy unless they're good enough to replace him. And nobody good enough to replace him would want to leave their current club where I expect they're already playing to sit on the bench and wait for an opportunity that may never come.

Thats nothing to do with the academy or facilities it's players wanting to play football.

Clement said if Martin gets injured we have other systems to play to get around the problem. 

He also said they have discussions about that scenario. 

Mel blamed the defense for the collapse last season and not Martins injury. 

Just now, curtains said:

Clement said if Martin gets injured we have other systems to play to get around the problem. 

He also said they have discussions about that scenario. 

Mel blamed the defense for the collapse last season and not Martins injury. 

What has that got to do with the academy?

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

What has that got to do with the academy?

The point was how do you attract players of the likes of Chris Martin to sit on the bench. 

My point is the facilities at the academy are not enough on there own to attract every type of player. 

43 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Do some people wake up in the morning and write a list of things to be negative about in life or is it just a wind up for the forum?

It's called 'Opening the Curtains'

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Simple, you bring someone through of that quality, therefore you don't have to convince someone to join on transfer.

The main question here....if any of the current squad get injured, do we have an academy player to step up. If no then therefore we need investment in the academy. If yes then it's a matter of constant improvement, instead of a Hughes every 5/7 years, one every 3 years.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Only time will tell.  If we end up rolling out a Hendrick, Hanson or Hughes every 2/3 years it pays for itself.  You only have to look at Southampton to see how concentrating on youth can reap dividends...

Of course it will. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. You focus on how much the facility costs to operate annually plus the investment in infrastructure over it's life. Speculating here but just a few million annually. What people need to understand is that wages and fees are going up. They will rocket once we are in the PL. It's not so much how much we can save now developing our own talent vs buying someone else. It's what that will look like in the short, medium and long term. Just one successful player every decade can be worth it. Lower wages in their early years. No transfer fee and also if they were ever to be sold a big fee coming to the club. 

Take Hughes as an example. Someone of his equivalent quality would be coming towards the end of their career. So we could splash say £6m on someone who we don't end up selling on. While Hughes is here for the first 4 seasons or so his wages are low in comparison to this £6m signing. You can also end up selling Hughes for £12m. Someone like Hughes could have a net impact on this club to the tune of £20m. 

I'm not concerned about the cost of improving the facilities.  I was alluding to the quality of the players we'll (hopefully) develop.  Southampton have been a conveyor belt of talent for years now so if we get anywhere near their level we'll all be very happy...

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Seems very costly .

Hope it works 

27 staff now and new buildings etc etc. 

Did you ask this at the forum you "attended"....

5 hours ago, curtains said:

The point was how do you attract players of the likes of Chris Martin to sit on the bench. 

My point is the facilities at the academy are not enough on there own to attract every type of player. 

Your original post was about the academy reaping rewards and plenty have given reasons why they think it will, you then used the fact that a replacement for Chris Martin couldn't be found as a reason to say the facilities are not good enough to attract every type of player! I don't recall anybody saying the academy alone is the reason for players joining, but it will definitely help if the rest of the terms of the contract are agreeable.

Would you have been happier if they hadn't bothered improving the facilities?

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Southampton are in a quite unique position due to their location.  If your a young player living on the south coast and you have the pick of Saints, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Plymouth or Brighton, realistically which one will you go for???  

I guess we're investing because with Stoke/Villa/West Brom/Leicester all within an hours drive, we have a lot more competition in our neck of the woods.  I've also noticed that when I hear a mate's, or a mate's mate's lad has been snapped up it's usually by Forest...

Forest have a policy of quantity not quality and their approach should be a cause for concern, not to us but to the football establishment

Of my son's village U17 team last year in the nottingham league, four went on to carry on their education (football and otherwise)  with the Forest academy. Of those, perhaps one merited it. I would be truly astounded if he ever made it. The others were not bad but very average players who you would happily put in your local pub team when they were big enough.

So the approach should, as i say, be quality not quantity.

You are right , Ramsb, it is a competition between clubs. If I were a parent of a promising youngster, I would be baseing my choice on such things as past record, current facilities and overall philosophy about promoting youth from within. There is no point in such kids joining teams in most if not all of the Premier : they will not get a look in. Hence why the Rams approach of focussing in this area could very well pay dividends.

Archived