Will Hughes injury-Blessing in disguise??

Rams1884

Hmmm not sure. On his day Hughes has skills that no-one else in our squad possesses. I'd be disappointed not to see him straight back in the team when fit again.

Unfortunately that means no starting place for two of Hendrick, Butterfield, Johnson and Bryson.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure. Thorne and Johnson were both allowed to leave by clubs who were likely expecting to be competing at the wrong end of the table and I have never been totally convinced with Hughes.

Of the three, i would say that Thorne is the likeliest, but I'm not sure what evidence anyone bases their opinion that they'll be able to do a job at a higher level.

You what?!,:o

Or, to quote Lennon. " That is, I think I disagree!"

You what?!,:o

Or, to quote Lennon. " That is, I think I disagree!"

I expect that most would disagree on here Steve, as folks on here seem to think that Hughes is some wonderkid. He's not pulled up any trees for over two seasons. It wasn't long ago when folks were calling for him to be dropped. He has the potential but he hasn't moved to that next level...yet.

Johnson is doing better after a slow start to his DCFC career but Norwich were more than happy to let him go when they saw the colour of our money. If they saw him as a first teamer in their Premiership campaign, they would have said no.

And Thorne, well, he has the technique but until he has a number of games without injury, the jury is still out.

Disagree by all means but I'd prefer it if you could add just a reason or two.

I expect that most would disagree on here Steve, as folks on here seem to think that Hughes is some wonderkid. He's not pulled up any trees for over two seasons. It wasn't long ago when folks were calling for him to be dropped. He has the potential but he hasn't moved to that next level...yet.

Johnson is doing better after a slow start to his DCFC career but Norwich were more than happy to let him go when they saw the colour of our money. If they saw him as a first teamer in their Premiership campaign, they would have said no.

And Thorne, well, he has the technique but until he has a number of games without injury, the jury is still out.

Disagree by all means but I'd prefer it if you could add just a reason or two.

Will's workmate is phenomenal.

He always seems to read the game and be in the right place to receive the ball and his inch perfect distribution is often a match turner.

Speaking of which, how did you like that goal from George? The celebration by Brad shows that he is a team player who is fitting well into PC's strategy. He looks rather like Zlatan, my most admired player in recent years, maybe he too will score a few wonder goals!

Whilst on the subject of great players Will's strengths remind me of a certain Colin Todd!

I totally agree with you about the worrying aspect of GT and WH's propensity for picking up long-term injuries. This was the "Achilles heel of Roy MacFarland." of whom Lord Brian said that without injuries he would have become the greates player to wear an England shirt.

Apologies for the nostalgia, but seeing players of that calibre was like attending master classes in recognising football skills IMHO!:thumbsup:

I'm not so sure. Thorne and Johnson were both allowed to leave by clubs who were likely expecting to be competing at the wrong end of the table and I have never been totally convinced with Hughes.

Of the three, i would say that Thorne is the likeliest, but I'm not sure what evidence anyone bases their opinion that they'll be able to do a job at a higher level.

WBA didn't want to sell Thorne, they saw him as part of the future. He wanted to leave so he could play football.

Johnson has played over 100 games in the premiership, and I am surprised we have managed to sign him ahead of Premiership teams, maybe Norwich didn't want to sell to a rival?

Hughes has the ability to continually find space, receive and pass the ball, something that some midfielders in the Prem seem unable to do, he has the potential to play in the Prem. You say he hasn't pulled up any trees, what do you judge him on for this?

I'm pretty confident we were after Johnson even when Will was fit. Or at least one midfielder anyway. Butters was more of a replacement for Hughes eventhough they aren't similar. Well, no one is similar to Will, closest maybe Iniesta who is basicly Will without eagerness and ability to tackle ;)

Will is a very good player but with Jeff Hendrick in great form and Bradley and George doing so well and Butterfield and Hanson as well we haven't missed young Will too much. 

Bryson and Hughes will be like new signings when fully fit again. 

We have a riches of talent in the middle of the park now and it bodes well. 

Still a mystery to me how we got Johnson. I suspect that we expected to pay£4 million for him but they did not want to sell so we just kept bidding until they agreed. Johnson looks a real bargain at £6 million. It is £1.5 million per year. Really neither here nor there in the scheme of things. Anyone who wants to get him from us will have to offer £8-10 million to even raise Mel's eyebrow. £130 million is indeed a shed load of money. What have Burnley done with their winnings? Are we still paying the stadium off? Is there any more room for extra parking behind the stadium on the land that we own?

Will is a very good player but with Jeff Hendrick in great form and Bradley and George doing so well and Butterfield and Hanson as well we haven't missed young Will too much. 

Bryson and Hughes will be like new signings when fully fit again. 

We have a riches of talent in the middle of the park now and it bodes well. 

Whilst I agree that our midfield is coping just fine, no side in this league would not miss a player like William Hughes. Results wise we're OK without him, but then again we were without Thorne for the majority of the season too. Performance wise though we seem to look better with Hughes. Not saying that we've played poorly, just that I would have him in the side any day

Whilst I agree that our midfield is coping just fine, no side in this league would not miss a player like William Hughes. Results wise we're OK without him, but then again we were without Thorne for the majority of the season too. Performance wise though we seem to look better with Hughes. Not saying that we've played poorly, just that I would have him in the side any day

We have to put this season into perspective. 

We can't knock the fact that with two home games to come we are 1 point off 2nd spot .

We look far more solid than last season .

Will Hughes is an asset but  this Rams team is taking all the plaudits. 

WBA didn't want to sell Thorne, they saw him as part of the future. He wanted to leave so he could play football.

Johnson has played over 100 games in the premiership, and I am surprised we have managed to sign him ahead of Premiership teams, maybe Norwich didn't want to sell to a rival?

Hughes has the ability to continually find space, receive and pass the ball, something that some midfielders in the Prem seem unable to do, he has the potential to play in the Prem. You say he hasn't pulled up any trees, what do you judge him on for this?

I judge him on his form. he has been anonymous for many of the games and has had little contribution in many others. 

I don't see him as being a top premiership player, or even a good one. A bang average one maybe but for me, he hasn't progressed since 3 seasons ago. 

There was a lot of reported interest in the player a few seasons back but even that has completely died down. In this day and age, any player that might be able to help a Premiership side out is immediately snapped up. The managers in the top flight clearly have the same reservations as I do. 

He's a good (not great) player at Championship level and if he continues to improve, then he'll make a decent Premiership player but at the minute, he wouldn't outshine any of our current midfield. 

I doubt we'll see Hughes this season. That's a seriously bad injury he suffered and the rehab isn't as clear cut as you think. I expect him to be looking at pre season next summer as his return. I might well be wrong, but you're usually looking at 9 months for an ACL. No guarantee he'll even be the player he was. Although at least it's happened whilst young, where healing tends to be sooner and more successful. 

We're not missing him though. And we shouldn't be considering the arsenal of talent in that midfield. 

I judge him on his form. he has been anonymous for many of the games and has had little contribution in many others. 

I don't see him as being a top premiership player, or even a good one. A bang average one maybe but for me, he hasn't progressed since 3 seasons ago. 

There was a lot of reported interest in the player a few seasons back but even that has completely died down. In this day and age, any player that might be able to help a Premiership side out is immediately snapped up. The managers in the top flight clearly have the same reservations as I do. 

He's a good (not great) player at Championship level and if he continues to improve, then he'll make a decent Premiership player but at the minute, he wouldn't outshine any of our current midfield. 

I believe you underestimate what Hughes does for the team. His ability to retain possession high up the pitch is remarkable and often buys time for people to get forward or organised at the back without the ball coming straight back.

If you play a direct style then maybe Will is not going to stand out, but play a possession game and there is no one better in the Championship and very few in the Premier League.

@uttoxram75 put the reply I would have done. The only thing I would like to add is that you say the top managers haven't shown interest so they have reservations, maybe they know it would be a pointless exercise asking about Hughes, are Villa or Sunderland or Everton going to be wanting to chase Hughes when the moment they do long admirers Liverpool will start bidding, City and Utd then would want to get involved, Chelsea also like to stock pile youngsters, as do Spurs. Then there is Hughes, who himself has said, numerous times, that he doesn't want to mive yet as he is still learning here and is still improving here. He knows it is better to be a main player of a Championship team than a bit part player at a big team or watch the ball go over his head in a team playing survival football.

I would like to point out as well at 20 years old he has played nearly 140 games for us. But you think he hasn't progressed since he was 17?

@uttoxram75 put the reply I would have done. The only thing I would like to add is that you say the top managers haven't shown interest so they have reservations, maybe they know it would be a pointless exercise asking about Hughes, are Villa or Sunderland or Everton going to be wanting to chase Hughes when the moment they do long admirers Liverpool will start bidding, City and Utd then would want to get involved, Chelsea also like to stock pile youngsters, as do Spurs. Then there is Hughes, who himself has said, numerous times, that he doesn't want to mive yet as he is still learning here and is still improving here. He knows it is better to be a main player of a Championship team than a bit part player at a big team or watch the ball go over his head in a team playing survival football.

I would like to point out as well at 20 years old he has played nearly 140 games for us. But you think he hasn't progressed since he was 17?

No, I think he hasn't progressed particularly since he was eighteen.

I don't believe that any of the top clubs would get involved now. If Newcastle for example were to bid 15M for the player, I think Derby would accept and the top sides would pay little attention. 

A few years ago maybe, but now, no. 

I really do rate Hughes and I think he could go on to do great things but I am not one of these that thinks he is brilliant at the minute. I just don't see it. 

Our midfield as I see it..

If everything happens as it is supposed to happen Hughes will go on to have a long career in the premiershite, he is a superb player and better than 90% of the dross in the midfield in that league....whether he is good enough to make that step up into the top 10% in the country we will have to wait and see i guess.

I am still surprised we got Johnson, great signing. Will be a great squad player at a higher level.

Jury still out on Butterfield, I haven't seen enough of him yet.

Bryson, if we ever get a bid of anything for him then let him go.

Jeff is flying, hopefully this continues.

Thorne, so far so good, not sure he has the pace, strength or knees to make it if we go up though.

Overall....what a midfield Clement has to pick from....and that is without including Ince, JR, Andre etc....My Gran could get this team promoted.

No, I think he hasn't progressed particularly since he was eighteen.

I don't believe that any of the top clubs would get involved now. If Newcastle for example were to bid 15M for the player, I think Derby would accept and the top sides would pay little attention. 

A few years ago maybe, but now, no. 

I really do rate Hughes and I think he could go on to do great things but I am not one of these that thinks he is brilliant at the minute. I just don't see it. 

Of course he isn't brilliant at the minute, he can't do anything from the treatment room :p

All joking aside, we will have to agree to disagree, last season he was very good, he struggled when the team went to pot, as did everyone, but in pre-season he had took another step up, a little time under Clement, and the under 21 tournament, had made him step up his game. He was brilliant against Villareal and Utrecht especially and ran both games.

Archived