Thoughts on SS

What was atmosphere like back in the old days at BBG. Not in the mid 70s when we were winning the league, but before and after when we were more at the same level as today?

Was it a cauldron of noise with 100s of unique and new witty songs? Or was it still loads of moaners and a home crowd that only really got behind the team when we were winning?

I presume the atmosphere was a lot more edgy as it could kick off at any moment, but did that translate to supporting the players on the pitch? 

Different times in every way, football was just a lot more of a social event than it is now days, to start with you couldn't park near the ground as easily as you can now at the I pro so you had to walk to the BBG and on the route there would be at least five lively little pubs that would come alive on match days, most of these closed down years ago, so having a few drinks with your mates and meeting them en route meant that you arrived at the BBG in a more jovial spirit.

In the times that you refer to there was never a stable period of time like we have now, we were either being relegated down through the divisions and almost going out of existence or we were rising through the leagues and finishing in top six, each season you had no idea what you were in store for.

This added to the match day buzz significantly, you then add this cocktail to the Popside experience and it couldn't fail to create an atmosphere, you stood as one of a few thousand men, I say men because it was rare to see children and even rarer to see women in the Popside ( well not in the numbers we see today), it was all standing with a few steel posts dotted around to lean on that was great until we scored and the weight off all of those behind you would cause you to be wrapped around the said support or if you didn't have the support in front of you you would end up about thirty feet away from where you had been prior to the goal going in, you then had dirty baskets who couldn't be bothered to que up for twenty minutes to have a pee so just did it down somebody else's leg or in their pocket, if you wanted a pie you had to set off to the back of the stand shortly after kick off to secure one. 

There was also a lot more laughter and fun involved than there is today, you were part of a big family on match days at the BBG, the Derby County brotherhood, as for the songs many of them are still around today, we must have just been more creative in those days, such classics as "you walk into the Popside " " oh bobby bobby" "philip gee philip gee scoring goals for Derby" " Derby Derby Derby Derby" "c stand give us a song" " ee I ee I ee I o up the football league we go" "10 men went to mo a brummy" "we will follow you Derby" etc etc none of this cringeworthy " if you don't bounce" rubbish,

back then it was just better ! As I said different times !

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How anybody can say the atmosphere in the south stand is **** if they sit in the west, East, North or at home is beyond me.

No matter what you think, it is the best stand in the stadium for atmosphere. Simple as that.

I don't think it is really up for debate about which stand has the best atmosphere, but really it is not that great in the South Stand.

Crystal Palace

I always used to enjoy White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge for atmosphere.

Anfield over-rated in my opinion.

Maine Road used to be good and I think that has probably carried across to The Etihad or whatever it is called.

From our division I struggle to name any grounds that stand out in the memory for a great atmosphere, although the City Ground is obviously always good whenever we have been there. Went to some good night matches at Molineux and St Andrews but other than that...

You mean the 100 or so ultra's crammed in the corner?

That's the ones, they make some noise even at 0-0 you can hear them going and sounds like a lot more are singing. Took them a while to get to that tho, didn't happen over night, it's getting those like minded fans together. Biggest mistake Derby made was making tickets the cheapest, shot themselves in the foot big time there. 

The aim now should be to get one block together, not up in the corner, bang in the middle where hopefully it spreads. How you get those fans together I have no idea, maybe get Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole down one weekend for auditions

I don't think it is really up for debate about which stand has the best atmosphere, but really it is not that great in the South Stand.

Compared with...

I don't think the SS is quite the "wall of noise" that was spouted when we first moved in but it's a lot better than most at this level.

Compared with...

I don't think the SS is quite the "wall of noise" that was spouted when we first moved in but it's a lot better than most at this level.

I'm probably not comparing like with like, I only do 4 or 5 away matches a season these days.

Comparing it to how it used to be when I followed DCFC everywhere (I think I've done 80 something grounds), the atmosphere is really quite poor.

For me creating an atmosphere used to be about getting behind your team as soon as you got in the ground and keeping that going regardless of what the score on the pitch was. It also included spontaneous banter to shout down whatever the opposition were singing about.

These days it seems to be regurgitating generic songs, most of which are not even funny and basically a lot find quite tiresome.

Examples:-

Stan Collymore...really? Who cares? He has not even been playing football for about 10 years.

You're support is ****...really? Why would you sing that to fans who have made the journey to watch their team?

90s and early 00s I guess

They used to do the 'one man went to mow' song and it went on for bloody ages!

It's DREADFUL these days... Last time I went was in the season of doom... I was sat over the other side from our fans (corporate invite) and even after they scored the 6th you could barely hear their fans singing...

It's DREADFUL these days... Last time I went was in the season of doom... I was sat over the other side from our fans (corporate invite) and even after they scored the 6th you could barely hear their fans singing...

To be fair to them that was a bit like a training session rather than a match

Would help if people stopped singing embarrassing b0llocks like the collymore song. 

Atmosphere is best when a simple song is repeated at high volumes. Everyone knows the words etc

a couple of times we did 'we are derby super derby we are Derby super Rams' for sustained periods where everytime it started to die down it would get a second wind and it would carry on. That's the sort of non stop volume we need to get the ground feeling like a fortress

I've only been to about half of the games played at Pride Park where we've had the South Stand and been in there on maybe 10 occasions...

It was class for Forest 5-0 and Brighton in the play-offs (if you can't create atmosphere in those games though, then I guess you never will). A few other games it has been very good as well, but for the run of the mill games it is just as quiet as the South East corner was, but with more standing (the latter is definitely a plus though). Doesn't help when bar 4 or 5 clubs the away end is only half full at best.

That said, as far as Championship clubs go, other than maybe Leeds and Wolves I've never come out of an away game thinking "wow they were loud", and generally from fans of other clubs I've spoken to, I think we are regarded as being one of the better home supports in the league. 

I would love 45 minutes of We are Derby, or the older songs like Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly, Tired and Weary, a simple Derby ...Derby... Derby, Hark now Hear, C Stand give us a song etc to get more of an airing but it seems like we only ever want to chant Since I was Young (even that's lost a lot of its impact since it first started), If you don't f**king bounce, and Collymore's a w**ker. 

For more noise, it needs the kids who are too cool to sing on the left hand side of the upper tier and the cheap ticket grabbers in the lower tier to get on board though, as most of the time this is where the songs start to break down, as well as keeping the simpler songs going for longer.

The flags, tickertape and all that stuff look very good though and 1884 can be proud of that as really that is the only thing they have a large element of control over.

Of course some better performances at home will probably help this more than anything else.

If ticket prices were on a par with Germany we would have better atmospheres at every ground....

Why? What does atmosphere have to do with ticket prices? What about the cup matches over the last few years where prices have been £10 and we have not even half filled the ground?

Why? What does atmosphere have to do with ticket prices? What about the cup matches over the last few years where prices have been £10 and we have not even half filled the ground?

1) Ground will be full for league games, full ground often leads to a better atmosphere.

2) More likely to attract a fan interested/motivated to create atmosphere. (More likely to find the idiots who spoil it for others in and out the stadium)

Do you seriously believe there I no correlation between atmosphere and ticket price when you consider the type of fan that can afford to attend matches?

Also, you reference cup games as example - simple fact is half of season ticket holders don't care about cup games against inferior opposition. If the club automatically (through an opt in scheme) issued their seat to them and took money by direct debit, they would see a further 3000 on the gate IMO.

1) Ground will be full for league games, full ground often leads to a better atmosphere.

2) More likely to attract a fan interested/motivated to create atmosphere. (More likely to find the idiots who spoil it for others in and out the stadium)

Do you seriously believe there I no correlation between atmosphere and ticket price when you consider the type of fan that can afford to attend matches?

Also, you reference cup games as example - simple fact is half of season ticket holders don't care about cup games against inferior opposition. If the club automatically (through an opt in scheme) issued their seat to them and took money by direct debit, they would see a further 3000 on the gate IMO.

The ground won't be full for most league games, especially most night matches, and it's always hard to get an atmosphere going against those proxy clubs who bring 200 fans.

i think they've got the pricing wrong for the Wolves game though, it was a good chance to have a sell out on tv.

Archived