Thoughts on SS

How much do we get for being on TV?? Wonder what the ticket price would be if Mel Escobar used that TV cash to subsidise televised match tickets??

The elephant in the room however, is that around 22000 ST holders have bought tickets in advance so couldn't benefit from such an act of generosity.

Me however.........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we're losing or drawing it's shocking I wouldn't like to be the players. Not a song heard just moaning etc.

Biggest concern for me is the quality of songs.. Singing 'Barmy Army' for ages bores the **** out of me. You can hear the relief when we actually sing another song like 'Super Derby Super Rams'.

How much do we get for being on TV?? Wonder what the ticket price would be if Mel Escobar used that TV cash to subsidise televised match tickets??

The elephant in the room however, is that around 22000 ST holders have bought tickets in advance so couldn't benefit from such an act of generosity.

Me however.........

I think we've just had our TV prezzy. The club have frozen season ticket prices for next season.

1) Ground will be full for league games, full ground often leads to a better atmosphere.

2) More likely to attract a fan interested/motivated to create atmosphere. (More likely to find the idiots who spoil it for others in and out the stadium)

Do you seriously believe there I no correlation between atmosphere and ticket price when you consider the type of fan that can afford to attend matches?

Also, you reference cup games as example - simple fact is half of season ticket holders don't care about cup games against inferior opposition. If the club automatically (through an opt in scheme) issued their seat to them and took money by direct debit, they would see a further 3000 on the gate IMO.

1 - Where do you get your facts for this? As already pointed out, when prices are dropped for cup matches we still do not even come close to filling the ground, and what information do you have to back up 'season ticket holders don't care about cup games'?

2 - Once again do not think you have anything at all to back up your statement, surely the ones that want to create an atmosphere are the ones that do anything to make sure they have enough money to get a ticket for DCFC games.

There is probably a slight correlation between atmosphere and ticket prices. I would argue there is just as much of a correlation between the introduction of social media and the decline in atmosphere in football grounds.

What has worked well without a doubt in the SS is getting the other stands to start a song. The volume when we do that is great, so here is my question.

Why do the "other stands" not join in very much when the SS start a song off?

I accept everyone saying the songs are unoriginal but I haven't heard any suggestions for new ones that have been implemented. I don't believe there are a "hardcore" group of people who start the songs, we don't have an ultras section.

Someone suggested organising a meet up some time in a pub for fans to try out new songs, but there are also other people who think that idea is cringeworthy.

Basically, I agree, we need to be consistently louder, but I'd like more focus on how to do that, rather than complaints with no ideas.

Be part of the solution!! If you feel passionately about it then get involved and help change it.

1 - Where do you get your facts for this? As already pointed out, when prices are dropped for cup matches we still do not even come close to filling the ground, and what information do you have to back up 'season ticket holders don't care about cup games'?

2 - Once again do not think you have anything at all to back up your statement, surely the ones that want to create an atmosphere are the ones that do anything to make sure they have enough money to get a ticket for DCFC games.

There is probably a slight correlation between atmosphere and ticket prices. I would argue there is just as much of a correlation between the introduction of social media and the decline in atmosphere in football grounds.

1) If you look at the games in the past where ticket prices have been substantially reduced - or at the least the West Upper Corner was substantially reduced - it was ALWAYS full with people taking advantage of cheaper tickets.

We don't sell 22,000 tickets to season ticket holders for cup games - We often get 12-15,000 gates so you tell me - why don't season ticket holders go to cup games?

2) Well I think its just common sense. Those who cannot afford to go, are more likely to be the ones who will create atmosphere because they are statistically more likely to be people who shout/chant/swear etc. They're the ones who are more likely to get in trouble. (Prisons are full of white collar people). I'm going extreme here, of course I am but football to an extent has economies of scale involved.

If it was me - every seat would be £20 for adults, £10 for under 18/over 60's. Every seat is a first come, first served basis. I'd get rid of the farcical demand based pricing system, I'd get rid of the farcical category A/B/C system. I'd sell tickets for every game of the season from day one (Like American sports do). This would attract more fans providing the product being serviced is good on the field. Why don't we do it - probably because the current system generates more revenue.

Charge away fans the cheapest tickets in the ground.

Thatll be a start. Might persuade a few more away fans with followings of 500-800 and change it to 1500-2000 just on strength of pricing.

Lots of football snobbery is a problem too... A lot of fans on social media are quite happy to moan about ticket pricing and showing "outrage" at ticket pricing for games. But are quite happy to say a team has "tinpot" fans when a ground is half full and it's a quiet atmosphere.

As our leader on here mentioned.... The 100 or so Palace fans don't half make a racket.... 

Rather have 100 singing than sitting their tweeting or taking photos of "tinpot away support" so they can get a few likes/RTS.

You are never going to recreate old atmospheres from 80/90s. Totally different experience going to a football match. Some in a good way, some might feel in a bad way...

Regarding singing.... Instead of all this "planning" and suggestions. Be spontaneous! 

What has worked well without a doubt in the SS is getting the other stands to start a song. The volume when we do that is great, so here is my question.

I sit around the half way line, and this season I haven't heard the SS sing that often, maybe I getting a bit mutton in my old age but I don't think that's the sole reason.

The problem to me, is not necessarily with the SS, although they have been quieter than in previous years, it's more to do with the mindset and the range of the fans that now attend matches.  The east stand seems to be full of wannabe Phil Nevilles with fans booing when not even 30 minutes in, the north stand is very much family orientated, and therefore the song set needs to be child friendly, and the west stand you have to wonder if they are just cardboard cut outs.

People talk about the good old days and the atmosphere, but it wasn't always that good, when the team were not performing the BBG was often like a morgue, so things haven't changed there. 

Ban the song 'barmy army' - singing that for 5 minutes isn't atmosphere. It's what a kids Sunday league football team who go to the game in their club jackets would sing at a club like Reading.

The first time we're put under any sort of pressure or go 1-0 down in a game the place is absolutely silent.

I accept everyone saying the songs are unoriginal but I haven't heard any suggestions for new ones that have been implemented. I don't believe there are a "hardcore" group of people who start the songs, we don't have an ultras section.

Someone suggested organising a meet up some time in a pub for fans to try out new songs, but there are also other people who think that idea is cringeworthy.

Basically, I agree, we need to be consistently louder, but I'd like more focus on how to do that, rather than complaints with no ideas.

Be part of the solution!! If you feel passionately about it then get involved and help change it.

I sit in the north stand with my 4 granddaughters . They like to join in, especially with chants, but by the time they've worked out what's being sung, the original singers have stopped. It would help if there were more repititions so that they could get into the swing of it. I encourage them to join in with everything, except the pointless collymore one.

I sit in the north stand with my 4 granddaughters . They like to join in, especially with chants, but by the time they've worked out what's being sung, the original singers have stopped. It would help if there were more repititions so that they could get into the swing of it. I encourage them to join in with everything, except the pointless collymore one.

I totally agree with this. I sit there too and by the time we've joined in SS has stopped. 

Nobody seems to factor in the sound delay from SS to NS and back again either! 

Archived