Why can't we break down a back 4 at home

cloughandtaylor

Most of our home games we struggle to break down down the oppositions back 4, some times two banks of 4!

Why cannot we do what we were doing nearly every game last season?

Lets look at the last game with Burnley, we out played them, we defended well were we had to, we attacked with purpose -  but the final 3rd we are struggling and with the quality we have in midfield and up front we should be doing so much better.

Burnley came for the point and got it, not because they deserved it, but because we failed to break them down, 60% possession, 21 chances, but only 4 attempts on goal [2 keogh headers included], says there is a problem. To be honest we made a team that is supposed to be one of the better sides in the division look very average. If we can learn how to break down the opposition and continue to play the way we did against Burnley until that final 3rd, then we will be going up, because we do look very very good.

Almost every team will come here and look for the point, so far we have had Charlton, Boro, Leeds, and Burnley- we have dropped 9 out of 12, we have to change if we want promotion.

I know some on here will say .......we'll come good...... Yes, fingers crossed and all that but not unless we can break down defences at home?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of our home games we struggle to break down down the oppositions back 4, some times two banks of 4!

Why cannot we do what we were doing nearly every game last season?

Lets look at the last game with Burnley, we out played them, we defended well were we had to, we attacked with purpose -  but the final 3rd we are struggling and with the quality we have in midfield and up front we should be doing so much better.

Burnley came for the point and got it, not because they deserved it, but because we failed to break them down, 60% possession, 21 chances, but only 4 attempts on goal [2 keogh headers included], says there is a problem. To be honest we made a team that is supposed to be one of the better sides in the division look very average. If we can learn how to break down the opposition and continue to play the way we did against Burnley until that final 3rd, then we will be going up, because we do look very very good.

Almost every team will come here and look for the point, so far we have had Charlton, Boro, Leeds, and Burnley- we have dropped 9 out of 12, we have to change if we want promotion.

I know some on here will say .......we'll come good...... Yes, fingers crossed and all that but not unless we can break down defences at home?

So basically we should have won every game.

It's not easy breaking down a team that sits deep in numbers. You can only really go around them or shoot from distance.

That was where we came up short. Up until that final bit we were spot on. Sometimes the crossing could have been better, sometimes we could have got more bodies in the box and the shots from range were poor. 

But that's it. Just that final ball. Burnley defended so well. 

It's hard. As we know the first goal is vital to us. And it DID happen last year. But you look back on last year as 23 home games. We've only played 4 and 2 were against supposed promotion favourites and notoriously organised teams. Vs Leeds there's plenty of chances. Wasted finishing. vs Charlton we had enough easy chances. You're not going to get 20 chances to go 1-0 up against a parked bus unless the opposition is poorly disciplined. 

It comes down to finishing and final ball. People are saying don't worry because they believe over the course of the season Ince, Martin, Russell, Bent and Co will do what they've done so many times in the past. 

This isn't a new problem. It's a problem Barcelona still face even with all their talent. They will continue to lose games like this. It happens. It's a nicer problem than worrying about holding onto a lead or why you get bossed in midfield each week. 

One problem is that teams set up to defend, which they are entitled to do, two seasons ao we were an unknown and took eveyrone a bit by surprise, this helped us getting to 3rd.

The key for us is an early goal (usually), that means teams have to come out and play, get an early goal i am convinced we will tonk someone.

In another thread someone said the midfield isn't running beyond and supporting the forward line. I think there is some truth in this. We are playing 433 and part of this system demands midfield raiding  if that formation is to be successful.

My own feeling is that our mid is a bit static and slow to react. Players are happy to stand and receive the ball but there simply isn't enough energy from players to make themselves "available" Jonny moves well and early on Weiman did. I think Johnson will. As Eddie earlier, you also need a key like Hughsey. 

To break down a banks of four we need to see .. A man going forward in possession and the surrounding players peeling off, buzzing round giving the man with the ball multiple options .. Temp tempo tempo 

Bring back Bryson.

He might not be the most technical footballer at the club but he runs and runs and runs and, runs into the box and shoots. Last season he was ordered not to do that and thus did nothing.

Clement rates Bryson and I'm sure he'll do good things once again when he's back. Plus there's love between Bryso and Martin. flick on love.

In another thread someone said the midfield isn't running beyond and supporting the forward line. I think there is some truth in this. We are playing 433 and part of this system demands midfield raiding  if that formation is to be successful.

My own feeling is that our mid is a bit static and slow to react. Players are happy to stand and receive the ball but there simply isn't enough energy from players to make themselves "available" Jonny moves well and early on Weiman did. I think Johnson will. As Eddie earlier, you also need a key like Hughsey. 

To break down a banks of four we need to see .. A man going forward in possession and the surrounding players peeling off, buzzing round giving the man with the ball multiple options .. Temp tempo tempo 

you are steve maclaren and i claim £5

we need to work out what is put in front of us better, I remember Man Utd at there best, teams would arrive at old Trafford and have two lines of four and they expected this, they mixed the attack up which unsettled the defence, ryan giggs would skin the full back and cross the ball into the box, next attack the defence would play real deep to counteract this, so they would pass the ball in front of the defence and scholes would come in late and fire it from distance, our defence and midfield is doing great at possession but the lack of mixing it up makes life easy for defences.

well that's my theory :D

This is a good question. I was frustrated on Monday cause of the quality of delivery by the full backs and also Russell's set pieces. Forsyth used to deliver whipped balls behind the defence but he was crossing from too deep on Monday. Christie, yes he played well and had great endeavour but he needed to get to the byline more. When you are a defender turning to your own goal it is a tricky situation.

We miss Ince and Hughes. Our best passers in tight spaces and also the guys who will run at defenders from 25 yards out. Bryson too for getting beyond the last man. It will happen but i expect us to move to a diamond or maybe 4-2-3-1 when Bryson is fit. Thorne & Johnson sitting with Bryson infront. Touch decisions for PC

I think Saturday will be totally different as MK will want to play. After conceding 6 their fans will want to see a reaction. to have an away side come and dominate them again would not go down well. I  suspect their team talk will evolve around being brave and having a go. You can't really lose then as a manager. If MK Dons really have a go but still lose then the manager just points to Derby being favourites, spending money, large squad etc etc

Take 6 points from Saturday and Brentford and people will start to look at us as the giant is stirring!! Ian Holloway has already suggested this. Derby are moving through the gears!!

This is a good question. I was frustrated on Monday cause of the quality of delivery by the full backs and also Russell's set pieces. Forsyth used to deliver whipped balls behind the defence but he was crossing from too deep on Monday. Christie, yes he played well and had great endeavour but he needed to get to the byline more. When you are a defender turning to your own goal it is a tricky situation.

We miss Ince and Hughes. Our best passers in tight spaces and also the guys who will run at defenders from 25 yards out. Bryson too for getting beyond the last man. It will happen but i expect us to move to a diamond or maybe 4-2-3-1 when Bryson is fit. Thorne & Johnson sitting with Bryson infront. Touch decisions for PC

I think Saturday will be totally different as MK will want to play. After conceding 6 their fans will want to see a reaction. to have an away side come and dominate them again would not go down well. I  suspect their team talk will evolve around being brave and having a go. You can't really lose then as a manager. If MK Dons really have a go but still lose then the manager just points to Derby being favourites, spending money, large squad etc etc

Take 6 points from Saturday and Brentford and people will start to look at us as the giant is stirring!! Ian Holloway has already suggested this. Derby are moving through the gears!!

m8 you are far too clever for this forum

you are steve maclaren and i claim £5

just phone 0908 442 to claim your reward  ( call cost £5.00 a minute from land lines and last up to 2 hours )in the event of multiple winners you will be required to answer a tie breaker ( terms and conditions apply )

Archived