Why can't we break down a back 4 at home

cloughandtaylor

It's tough when teams come and sit it out with 2 banks of 4, but there are things we can do better to give us a better chance. 

We need to get attacking players closer to Martin to help the link up play, give him options to stop things breaking down as easily. 

We also need a midfielder getting beyond Martin to drag out of position/occupy the oppositions CB's. We could potentially play Bent to help with this, however he midfield would suffer so it can only be done against certain teams where we might be on top in CM even if we switch to 2 in the middle. 

The key is getting decent quality passes into Martin and getting players in good positions around/beyond him. If we don't do that we look one dimensional. 

Job done now where's my £20K a week??????

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not easy breaking down a team that sits deep in numbers. You can only really go around them or shoot from distance.

That was where we came up short. Up until that final bit we were spot on. Sometimes the crossing could have been better, sometimes we could have got more bodies in the box and the shots from range were poor. 

But that's it. Just that final ball. Burnley defended so well. 

It's hard. As we know the first goal is vital to us. And it DID happen last year. But you look back on last year as 23 home games. We've only played 4 and 2 were against supposed promotion favourites and notoriously organised teams. Vs Leeds there's plenty of chances. Wasted finishing. vs Charlton we had enough easy chances. You're not going to get 20 chances to go 1-0 up against a parked bus unless the opposition is poorly disciplined. 

It comes down to finishing and final ball. People are saying don't worry because they believe over the course of the season Ince, Martin, Russell, Bent and Co will do what they've done so many times in the past. 

This isn't a new problem. It's a problem Barcelona still face even with all their talent. They will continue to lose games like this. It happens. It's a nicer problem than worrying about holding onto a lead or why you get bossed in midfield each week. 

This is how you break down two solid banks of four:

You've got to hold and give
But do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast
But you must get to the line

They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them
Get round the back

McClarens first 9 league games, 9 different scorers.

McClarens first 9 games of last season 7 different scorers.

Clements first 9 games of this season 3 different scorers.

Daveo got it spot on!  Tempo, slicker passing, runners from midfield, bodies in the box, attacking crosses.

It's all a bit different this season..........but I ain't panicking yet!:thumbsup:

I might be mistaken, but having read through people's answers to the thread question, it does seem to me that people have either written Butterfield off already, forgot that he's here or don't - unlike me - believe he's exactly the man we need to both unlock doors with his passing, and knock them down with his shooting. I saw glimpses of it at Preston, a couple of snap shots and one brilliant run and cross/shot as well as a wonderful ball into Martin. At Reading I saw him denied a certain goal by a brilliant defensive block in the box, saw him chase down a defender who tried ushering the ball out for a goal kick only for JB to steal it off him, and noticed it was his inch perfect ball into Martin who in turn found Ince for the quality goal that night. And on Monday night, he again looked the likeliest to find that key to goal, but his radar was off. 

I might well be wrong. Maybe he's not all that. But I'm allowed to be optimistic. 

Please feel free to bring this back to the top when he's an unused sub and sent out on loan to League One in January. :D 

Ince back in the side is a big plus tomorrow. He's your runner. But we do need more players in and around Martin because if not, he'll look poor like he did on Monday. I do though feel we'll win tomorrow and win well. 

I wonder how many of the bring back Bryson brigade, or the B B B B:D, are some of the same that said "why didn't he f*** off to Burnley " ,last season ?

where I work, if the acronym has repetitive letters, they alter it, so PPPO becomes P3O, so in this scenario, BBBB becomes B4... :o 

Archived