The Johnson / Butterfield Rate-O-Meter

drgoodspeak

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you tell yourself that! Their attacks mainly got through to our defence. Everything else was an interception not a break up of an attack. He hardly touched the ball, and nothing went through him at all. Yes he played a few long diagonals, but 'worldies' is a massive exaggeration. If anything he was average at best. Russell, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Forysth, Butterfield, Martin and possibly even Hendrick played better, Carson didn't need to. So possibly 10th in line for Man of the Match.

there's one reason there attacks got through to our defence. 60 yard diagonal balls. That's al they did as an attack. If Johnson was 60 foot tall he may have intercepted more!,

at least butters had the balls to have a shot at goal unlike so many others. 

Thought every player played well and there were so many positive signs things are better and understanding of each will improve every game

From what I saw they did try playing through the middle in the first half but it wasn't working as Thorne, butters and especially Johnson was stopping that method of attack. Quite rightly he was, as was all our midfield quite quiet defensively as they were all long ball attacks in the second half

thought PC should have dropped a midfielder for Bent in last 20 mins but that's a different debate

I thought Butterfield could have been better off the ball and on the ball. He found a few pockets and did a couple of nice passes but when the onus is on us to break down away teams he needs to be getting on the ball much much more than that. I like the fact he fancies a shot more often than not but it just didn't come off last night, very wasteful. Looks a good player, sure we'll see more from him in games to come.

Johnson did ok IMO, I saw "bite" as a word to describe him further up the page and agree completely. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the left of a front 3. So many balls went to the back post where Weimann was and I think Johnson in this position would benefit us hugely. Could be a huge threat.

I thought Johnson was the better of the two, as the way the game panned out meant Butterfield just basically helped the ball out to the wide players and made himself available to receive. Not much else he could have done. He could have done better with his shots though

Johnson's passing was good, not just the long diagonal. Had nice feet to get himself out of tight spots at times. I think he won all his headers too. It'd be nice to see him further forward and joining up with Martin like Bryson but that's easier to do on counter attacks. 

Basically Burnley shuttled us out wide so it wasn't a game that was going to be won in midfield. It'd have been nice to have Jordon Ibe or similar last night.

I thought both were decent but not spectacular. I'd suggest Butters edged it if we're comparing them. His shooting wasn't on point last night but unlike others I see that as a positive. Not the missing, but the willingness to have a pop. One of those flies in and people on here criticising him would have been calling him the best thing since sliced bread. According to statistics he had the best pass accuracy of all players on the pitch last night (89%) which seems fair as I only recall him giving the ball away the once. But yep, needs to re-find his shooting boots. 

Johnson also looks a good addition to me. Physical, works hard, and although he was missing for large parts of the second half I think he's out of position centrally. Would have had him wide left myself, get closer to Martin especially as we were seemingly obsessed with putting crosses in. 

Overall, three games for both of them, and we've got 7 points from 9 with two clean sheets. Central midfield and defence is the least of our worries. We need much more going forward down the left hand side and we still lack a quick and direct option up front, someone to run defenders. 

Regarding Johnson, I thought he put himself about a lot and put in some good challenges and showed some desire to want to close down and win the ball that the midfield has been lacking at times this season. Maybe I was being slightly generous giving him a 9 as he's our record signing and I purely want him to do well, but I still thought he played well.

What neither seemed to do (and no one is doing at the moment) is to run beyond the forwards. This is Bryson's strength, often ending up the furthest forward player. This seems to me to be a major reason for our lack of goal threat.

Pleased that they both want to shoot. Johnson played very deep on Monday, meaning Thorne played even deeper (despite all our possession his average position was backin our own half). I don't see any point playing Weimann on the wing when he's not a winger so I'd be tempted to push Johnson forward as a powerful attacking left-sided forward, or have a 4-4-2 with him taking the left-hand role.

Archived