The Johnson / Butterfield Rate-O-Meter

drgoodspeak

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Butterfield was solid yesterday, took a few too many pop shots for my liking but i'd chalk that up to wanting to get his first goal under his belt. All in all I think that he played with energy and kept things ticking over in the middle of the park.

Johnson is just pure quality, and adds just the bite we need to the midfield.

Both were solid, if unspectacular last night. Positives for me were that Johnson does add the real steel to midfield that was promised. Butterfield was a lot more mobile than I thought he would be too. Both took it in turns to chase defenders and aid Martin, something Hendricks has yet to do this season

Johnson was great all round in my opinion.

Butterfield was good. Off the ball he was brilliant, managed to find himself in good pockets of spaces when we were on the front foot, and when Burnley had the ball he was almost certainly pushing up and closing down the Burnley centre backs with Martin. On the ball, though, he had a few too many long range efforts and lost the ball a few times. 

Out of 10 I'd say Johnson was a 9, Butterfield a 7.

It really is bizarre how we can have different perceptions of players performances in the same game.

I thought Johnson was our best player in the first half, with premiership quality being shown. Tough in the tackle and some superb passing. I thought that Norwich fella said he couldn't pass? Did go missing in the second half though. Rated against value paid, I can see it.

Butterfield I thought was tidy, but unspectacular. Rated against £4.75m, I didn't see it last night. As for the shooting, at least he had a go. Too often people seem hesitant to have a go, so no complaints from me.

As stated in another post, I just don't rate Hendrick and must have missed his sparkling contribution last night!

you tell yourself that! Their attacks mainly got through to our defence. Everything else was an interception not a break up of an attack. He hardly touched the ball, and nothing went through him at all. Yes he played a few long diagonals, but 'worldies' is a massive exaggeration. If anything he was average at best. Russell, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Forysth, Butterfield, Martin and possibly even Hendrick played better, Carson didn't need to. So possibly 10th in line for Man of the Match.

One thing should chance in Johnson's game. Way too often he lifts his passes when he could makes those on the ground. Slows our game, makes it to put pressure on receiver etc. Frustrating to watch. Otherwise he is great, like his hair and all.

Butters is great IMO, very clever player. Hopefully he'll find his shooting boots soon.

I don't think we played to their strengths last night. Our tactics seemed to be more direct, to hit the wings and then get the ball into the box, so it seemed the only way they were to have an impact were chances on falling at the edge of the box.

In different games they'll be more influential as we'll be playing through Thorne, Johnson and Butters!

Talking of the wings and flanks. Fozzy was ignored too often. To the point that I thought he and Shacks had had a falling out. And What was Burnleys tactic all about putting 2 men to watch Christie .. Did they see him as a weakness or a threat one wonders ? Also while I am musing, a word on Jamie Hanson. He doesn't have GT's all round ability and guile but is eager to beat a man go forward and run off the ball. I think as I have said before that he has real potential. And hats off the Keogh for an excellent performance with real drive and purpose. 

Archived