Interesting article about our size of squad ...

nfb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really don't have a surplus of talent. Who didn't we take to Preston that deserved to be in the squad? We've got the balance right, it's just that where most teams have 5/6 players they consider undroppable or "better" than the rest, we have over eleven.

Article had some good points, but seemed a little driven by envy.

We really don't have a surplus of talent. Who didn't we take to Preston that deserved to be in the squad? We've got the balance right, it's just that where most teams have 5/6 players they consider undroppable or "better" than the rest, we have over eleven.

Article had some good points, but seemed a little driven by envy.

thought the same, looked at his profile but didn't give any obvious clues to allegiance.

A decent summary but really just a piece of fluff from someone reading the forum. I'm sure all those points have been made on here and I've touted loan moves for Dawkins, Ssewankambo and Calero, but I've not seen that suggested beyond this site.

With Baird being the latest to fall on Saturday, we see the value of a large squad. With Reading getting an extra day's rest before we play them tomorrow we will hopefully see the value of a large squad. When we played Brum for our second game in 3 days, after they'd had the week off, it was our opposition who tired in the second half.

It is a huge challenge for man management in a first role as number one, but we've seen with the switch from Carson to Grant and Forsyth to Warnock etc, that Clement is a manager who likes to rotate to keep all his players sharp and fresh. Let's hope it works out come May. Expect changes tomorrow.

"Already out of the League Cup, Clement will only have league games to try and keep his sizeable squad happy."

The club must have slipped the bad news that we were giving the FA Cup a miss this season between signing Butterfield and Johnson, because that's the first I've heard of it.

28 players who will ALL be expecting first team games every week? Maybe have a word with a Derby fan before you write an article next time lad (lass?)

Players who 'expect' first team football every week include:

Hughes (injured), Christie (Rotation), Bucko (injured), Dawkins (probably rotation), Roos (future), Mitchell (future), Hanson (recently broken through), Calero (future), Sswankambo (future)...

So realistically we have 19 who might have expectations of starting... With a matchday squad of 18... and a coach who has shown that 'rotation' is the name of the game so far...

Its amazing really, we are a club thats had to put up with some real dire times when it comes to playing staff (kevin poole. dean holdsworth anyone?). A club that has spent several seasons getting a sound footing financially with a strict wage structure and little in the way of signings.

Last season yes we bought GT but before that it was usually lower league players topped up by loans. So yes this season we have spent a lot, so what, thats only because the club was on a sound financial footing and Mel decided now was the right time to invest.

What i'd like to see is a journalist worth his salt doing an article on how well managed the club has been in recent years and has remained a championship club where others have failed (sheff utd/coventry/wigan etc) when relegated. stablisied gradually become more competitive, have little debt and now reaping the rewards and pushing on....

But i doubt many of these journalists can see beyond whats been spent this year so doubt it will happen.

The main players that I can see getting frustrated over time are Pearce and Bent. 

Both have the enormous task of challenging three of the most consistent players in the division in Martin, Shackell, and Keogh. 

Matt Le Tissier has already said that Bent should be looking for another club, which is just plain ridiculous. 

But the biggest test for Clement will come when he has a fully fit midfield.

But despite all of our player recruitment, where's the replacement for Martin? 

The main players that I can see getting frustrated over time are Pearce and Bent. 

Both have the enormous task of challenging three of the most consistent players in the division in Martin, Shackell, and Keogh. 

Matt Le Tissier has already said that Bent should be looking for another club, which is just plain ridiculous

But the biggest test for Clement will come when he has a fully fit midfield.

But despite all of our player recruitment, where's the replacement for Martin? 

Less ridiculous than signing him and Weimann on £20k a week each to fight for a place on the bench. 

Archived