England v Switzerland

froggg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's fair to say either "didn't live up to the hype" with what they've both achieved...

When was the last time you heard someone refer to Rooney as the white Pele? Del Piero was considered up there with proper Ronaldo when he was younger. No he didn't live up to the hype. He was great, but not Ronaldo/Zidane great. Just like Rooneys great, but not C Ronaldo/Messi great.

When was the last time you heard someone refer to Rooney as the white Pele? Del Piero was considered up there with proper Ronaldo when he was younger. No he didn't live up to the hype. He was great, but not Ronaldo/Zidane great. Just like Rooneys great, but not C Ronaldo/Messi great.

I guess so, but the hype around Rooney was always far too much for his ability. His "promise" didn't come from what he did on the pitch at the time, he was just the great white hope.

I rate Greaves higher than Rooney, but I also recognise that Rooney is far and away the best English striker of his generation. I'm willing to bet that by the time he finishes, he will have more than 60 goals..

I guess so, but the hype around Rooney was always far too much for his ability. His "promise" didn't come from what he did on the pitch at the time, he was just the great white hope.

I'd agree with that. Credit to him for forging a fantastic career with all that ridiculous pressure people put on him. Del Piero too, awesome player.

I'm not sure if he's had quite the same level of hype as those two had but Ozils another player who played with a fire in his belly and looked the dogs ******** when he was younger. Still great, and a World Cup winner, but not quite the player I thought he'd be.

edit - yet!

I don't. Just pointing out that these 'facts' aren't facts.

One 'fact' I know is Rooney isn't Scottish has no Scottish Relatives and Bertie wanted him to play for Scotland, but you'd be so glad he can't play for Scotland because you have the mighty Norman Stanley Steven Fletcher, and anyway you are not interested in international football, so do us all a favour and keep your 'facts' to yourself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-scotland-vs-england-4637579

Well done Wayne Rooney.

One 'fact' I know is Rooney isn't Scottish has no Scottish Relatives and Bertie wanted him to play for Scotland, but you'd be so glad he can't play for Scotland because you have the mighty Norman Stanley Steven Fletcher, and anyway you are not interested in international football, so do us all a favour and keep your 'facts' to yourself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-scotland-vs-england-4637579

Well done Wayne Rooney.

Inverurie talking drivel. What a surprise.

Well done England....well done Rooney, fantastic player, and having seen him play in the flesh several times, one of the best players I have had the pleasure to see.  People will say that he hasn't won anything at international level, but neither has a lot of the worlds top players throughout their career.  Messi has 48 in 104 games, which puts rooneys goal scoring record into perspective as an outstanding achievement.

As for comparing him to greaves and co, completely different era, different game, and a pointless debate imo.

Archived