Thorne doubt for Preston game, Bryson fit to return

Day

I love those average position things. I think you can learn a lot from them. 

Stats etc are quite telling when combined but mean bugger all when seperated

Possession on its own tells you nothing unless you know the score for the majority of the match and the territory. v Charlton I thought we were spot on. Should have won that

Football statistics have a bright future, we've just got to keep developing. The next stage is to start working out productivity. So instead of working out crossing accuracy for example, we can start asking "how often does this player's cross lead to a header on target?". Things like that. And second balls too. I've always thought stats are never good enough at telling you about that. You can find stats that will tell you a defender is good at putting his foot in, but is he actually coming out with the ball or just knocking the ball away from the player and then one of his teammates or him picks up the ball? Or is it the case that he's sticking his foot in a lot but then the opposition pick the second ball up, so all he's done is slow them a bit? That would be a useful stat to know if your players are lacking in focus. You can see that stuff for yourself of course but statistics are there to assist, not the be all and end all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with averaging is that it doesn't show the whole picture. If a fullbacks average position is on the halfway line, he's either been bombing up down all game, or has spent a long time on the halfway line!

That's why I didn't find Martin's heatmaps for those games instead, exactly my thinking! :D 

I don't know why I bothered at all in fact, why don't people just go to whoscored for themselves?

whoscored.com Dead easy.

Yes they are a major part of the problem at the moment, people go on about us having 65 - 70% possession but most of the time it is between Keogh and Shackell deep in our own half.

For me there is too big a gap between Thorne and Martin. We need to be getting Thorne on the ball further up the field but as you say this would require the CBs carrying the ball out rather than waiting for Thorne to come back and take it from off their feet!

I think the problem is the people between Thorne and Martin haven't been doing their jobs which is why we've just spent £10m

Was kind of the point I was making, we have Thorne taking the ball off the centre backs, Martin high up the pitch and not much happening inbetween!

Yes, with the other CM not making themselves available the opposition DCM just has to stand in front of Martina dn we are screwed. 

To be fair to Keogh he will run the ball into midfield, but when he does Thorne has to tuck in to CB or DCM at least. Thorne's best hope of occasionally pushing into midfield is if on of the other CM can hold a DCM position. 

Yes imo worry about thorne, especially without hughes too. We have plenty of attacking midfield options now but those two are vital for us too.

Russell.         Weimann

johnson.           Martin.            Christie

forsyth.              Ince.              Baird

Shackell.         Keogh

Carson

Russell.         Weimann

Shackell.         Keogh

Carson

Eh?

Russell.         Weimann

Shackell.         Keogh

Carson

Random formations app, drunk or completely lost the plot?

If you stick too many attacking players in the same team you risk losing the ball on a regular basis.

Their success is based on taking risks with the ball to get past defenders.

We would therefore need back-up for the back 5 in the form of a Thorne/Hanson figure.

We need attacking options on the bench and the likes of Weimann, Russell and Bent will provide this.

I would go with Hanson, Hendrick, Butterfield and Johnson with Martin and Ince up top.

It's going to be Baird at DM. I don't like it but he's obviously the preferred backup to Thorne.

Upside is we might well see Christie in at right back, given his good performances for ROI.

Just not sure about the midfield two. Will Clement go for his two new signings? I think Butterfield is the more likely, as he is seen as a Hughes-lite, someone to show for the ball and pass it. 

Carson

Christie         Keogh        Shackell         Forsyth

Baird(c)

Butterfield               Johnson

Russell/Ince                      Martin                   Russell/Ince

In this game plan Russell will replace Johnson on the 64th minute. Obviously.

Perhaps Weimann to replace Bent (if he hasn't scored) bit later.

I see russell and Johnson as competitors for attacking left midfield. 

Archived