Signed: Jacob Butterfield

Heisenberg

Baird is right back every game.... leaves us with just thorne and hanson defensive mid.... jedinak in to play alongside thorne would free up the front four to cause havoc

Again, not the kind of player that would fit what we need at all. We don't need a brute who can't pass. He's a good player, but not the kind we could really justify bringing in, particularly not the wages and cost associated with him. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about hendrick hughes and bryson?

Hughes obvious, bryson aint a holding midfielder and never will be, hendrick u can argue in the formation 4-2-3-1 can only play holding so we would have thorne jedinak hanson and hendrick.... thats right amount needed imo as last season we had 3 and all were out and wheels came off.... this season 2 of the 3 are already out

Again, not the kind of player that would fit what we need at all. We don't need a brute who can't pass. He's a good player, but not the kind we could really justify bringing in, particularly not the wages and cost associated with him. 

Think u may have misinterpreted me or i didnt elaborate enough.... im not saying we only need this type of player and not an attacker ie pritchard teixiera.... i mean as well as, imho we need a dmc and an attacker.... not 1 or the other. Jedinak and a pritchard/teixiera would do nicely

4-2-3-1 ?

If we sign another midfielder, at least one of those 3 is going to be surplus to requirements, when you add Ince and Russell to that list, it's frightening how much quality we'll have not playing.

At the start of the season that was my preferred formation. But my view was that the 2 be classified as CM's and not DM's. The way teams have already set themselves up against us, I think that we are being allowed to do so. In my view it's both good and bad for the opposition. They think that head to head they don't stand a chance against us. So they will sit back and try to defend in numbers and look to counter attack and score from set pieces. Grind out 1-0 wins and so on. Teams are going to be dominated by us possession wise if they do this. We just need to be more direct. With the forwards we already have, they do not want us to be direct at all. It's all on us. Teams are going to allow us to play how we want. 

Whatever happens, we need 5 CM's in my view. We currently have Thorne, Bryson, Hendrick, Hanson and Hughes. Baird is in there to make up numbers. All of these 5 (and 6) have different styles and operate in different parts of the middle of the pitch. Which is good. But right now we have one of them out long term. So we need another to make 5. My concern is what happens when Hughes is back. But given the way our CM's and DM's get injured so often, it probably shouldn't be a concern in this league. 2/3 of teams in this league begin the season with the mentality that they can go all the way to the play off final and therefor are gearing themselves up for at least 49 league games. 

Think u may have misinterpreted me or i didnt elaborate enough.... im not saying we only need this type of player and not an attacker ie pritchard teixiera.... i mean as well as, imho we need a dmc and an attacker.... not 1 or the other. Jedinak and a pritchard/teixiera would do nicely

He'd be leaving Palace because he's not getting gametime, how would coming to us and not being first choice help him? I wouldn't want him in our midfield, as he'd be a liability with our style of play. Australia under Postecoglou already have enough issues making sure they can make use of him, despite him not being the best passer. 

I don't know, maybe as backup for Thorne if we feel like just bruising a side he'd be useful, but I can't imagine him being sold on going from the captain of a Premier League side, to backup in the Championship. 

He'd be leaving Palace because he's not getting gametime, how would coming to us and not being first choice help him? I wouldn't want him in our midfield, as he'd be a liability with our style of play. Australia under Postecoglou already have enough issues making sure they can make use of him, despite him not being the best passer. 

I don't know, maybe as backup for Thorne if we feel like just bruising a side he'd be useful, but I can't imagine him being sold on going from the captain of a Premier League side, to backup in the Championship. 

I would have him alongside thorne..... with hanson and hendrick back ups.... then russell weimann ince bryson plus another addition (teixiera, pritchard, antonio) to compete for the 3 slots behind martin. Dawkins is surplus to requirements imo.

I would have him alongside thorne..... with hanson and hendrick back ups.... then russell weimann ince bryson plus another addition (teixiera, pritchard, antonio) to compete for the 3 slots behind martin. Dawkins is surplus to requirements imo.

Do you like the long ball game? He's not a great passer, he wouldn't fit that well in the side. 

Is this guy worth breaking our transfer record for? Is he up there with the likes of Ince in terms of quality? Or is it just the situation we find ourselves in (i.e. desperate for a midfield)?

EDIT: Ince was more than £4.5m. Ignore me.

Dave May ‏@davehmay  2m2 minutes ago

Rumours of a £4.5M bid from #DCFC for Jacob Butterfield accepted by #HTAFC. Simon Dawkins potentially arriving on season long loan.

If correct, then excellent.  Also i think it is right that he is not the record signing, leaving that distinction to Tom Ince. JB will be under enough pressure stepping up from Huddersfield to a bigger more ambitious club without having to worry about the "record signing" tag. COYR. 

If correct, then excellent.  Also i think it is right that he is not the record signing, leaving that distinction to Tom Ince. JB will be under enough pressure stepping up from Huddersfield to a bigger more ambitious club without having to worry about the "record signing" tag. COYR. 

Ah, okay, you kind of answered my last post. Agree with the sentiments around Ince having the peacock distinction of "record signing".

Archived