Your top five metal bands

Gypsy Ram

Soil were excellent when they supported  Skindred, surprised by what you said about Dragonforce though. I've never really heard much good about there live shows?

Saw DF at Download in 06 and they were very good.

Saw Soil at Exeter at the Lemon Grove, was great, a proper intimate gig with a stage barely a foot off the ground.

Some of the best gigs I have been to have been whilst living in Cornwall and at the smaller venues with a variety of bands:

• Falmouth Princess Pavilion - Queen Adreena, Raging Speedhorn, Engerica, My Awesome Compilation
  • Hall for Cornwall - Wheatus, Halo, Funeral for a Friend, 36 Crazyfists, Bullet for my Valentine, Hell is for Heroes, My Chemical Romance (yup, they played there in 04 support FFAF)
  • Exeter Uni & Lemon Grove - Soil, Godhead, American Head Charge, Trivium, Richard Ashcroft

Took the train to Manchester to go to the Academy to see Mudhoney and Millencolin back then too.

Small venues are great. Such a shame that Rock City is **** for wheelchair users.

I do much prefer their new stuff to be honest, it's very melodic. The Pride and Trilogy: Dawn. I think Dave's solo career has taken a dive though, it was good at the start, now he's just recycling melodies and writing the same songs over and over.

Have you heard the other side project, Centiment? That's much 'metalier'. 3 members of InMe and 2 other members.

Yeah I have heard some of their stuff from that project, not as good as the heavier stuff from Overgrown Eden (its one of my all time favourite albums) Im not a fan of the melodic singing over the heavier music.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEVER have I felt such an outsider, and so alienated on this beloved forum.

Earth, Wind and Fire anyone?

Should see my Spotify playlist for the car, when it is on random it switches from the likes of Slipknot to The Verve to Lisa Stansfield, Ace of Base, The Bangles and Frankie Goes to Hollywood king.gif.pagespeed.ce.p3_G0OCVmK.gif

Not really a fan of metal (as in the traditional idea if what constitutes metal in most people's minds) as such, but a wide variety of rock,  punk, pop-rock, powerpop, acoustic, folk, a tiny bit of EBM and all sorts in between.

It's very rare I can be arsed to listen to established, 'big' bands like most of those in this thread, I'm usually more interested in what's coming next.

I'll try to make a list  another time though, just off to a gig- reliving being 13 by seeing The Get Up Kids at Rescue Rooms.

Oh and yeah, Dave McPherson, saw him at Victoria Inn the other week (along with another favourite from my youth Jonah Matranga) and have bought his new album 'living life without the F' which is very good, very personal.

Soil were excellent when they supported  Skindred, surprised by what you said about Dragonforce though. I've never really heard much good about there live shows?

I tend to agree with that. Although 'Through the Fire and Flames' is an unbelievably good track on 'Inhuman Rampage', I have never heard them do it justice live. Perhaps it's just too complex to transfer successfully to the stage.

Not really a fan of metal (as in the traditional idea if what constitutes metal in most people's minds) as such, but a wide variety of rock,  punk, pop-rock, powerpop, acoustic, folk, a tiny bit of EBM and all sorts in between.

It's very rare I can be arsed to listen to established, 'big' bands like most of those in this thread, I'm usually more interested in what's coming next.

I'll try to make a list  another time though, just off to a gig- reliving being 13 by seeing The Get Up Kids at Rescue Rooms.

Oh and yeah, Dave McPherson, saw him at Victoria Inn the other week (along with another favourite from my youth Jonah Matranga) and have bought his new album 'living life without the F' which is very good, very personal.

I was there at the Vic gig. Jonah outshone him completely. Hadn't even heard Jonah Matranga before then but he was brilliant. Dave was drunk and crap. Ironically the stuff he moans about on his latest album... Something Bad for sure....

i agree but its a metal thread.  Love the get up kids, fugazi and minor threat as well.

I love most kinds of music but I was unimpressed when I saw Black Sabbath live and realised that music had started going in a direction I felt disinclined to go.

i had of course been spoiled by having previously seen Hendrix, Who, Pink Floyd, Cream etc.

Admittedly there are those who say tha Cream were steering towards Heavy metal before they went their separate ways but I don't agree.

All this said, and given that the sixties had most, if not quite all of the best music, (dire Straits also great!) those of you too young to have been there have to have something of your own and at least Heavy metal groups have some talented instrumentalists. Unlike Punk and Rap which have nothing going for them IMO.

Also not many of you young 'uns got to see the Rams in their glory years...

That's another story!

You probably disagree but then, I got my OAP for the first time today.

Keep enjoying whatever you keep enjoying say I!:cool:

I love most kinds of music but I was unimpressed when I saw Black Sabbath live and realised that music had started going in a direction I felt disinclined to go.

i had of course been spoiled by having previously seen Hendrix, Who, Pink Floyd, Cream etc.

Admittedly there are those who say tha Cream were steering towards Heavy metal before they went their separate ways but

I don't agree

I agree.  As a kid I loved Sabbath.  But saw them at the weinie roast and they were an embarrassment. This was back in 2001 in calli mind.

Here you go, Gypsy Ram - this one's for you....

Of course, I remember the original lineup (featuring the amazing vocals of Ken Hensley) singing it in Derby in about 1971. They played the Clouds club 2 or 3 times, and King's Hall as well.

Bon Jovi

Van Halen

Europe

Foreigner

Scorpions

There you go, just to show, I'm a man of many tastes ;)

All have their merits.

In fact, Europe played Download a couple of years ago and were absolutely superb that day.

Archived