Learning Curve

Gladram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still unsure whether we have the right coach, afterall he has never been at this level before.

We have had lots of PC talk of using different formations, I still waiting for plan B, as plan A is not working.....

Are we better now than we were the last 10 games of last season? We certainly have a better squad, but are we playing better? Is the running off the ball better? Are we creating more chances? Is the overall performance better?

Yes I now questioning whether we have the right man in charge? He looks good on paper!

But 2 games in - two poor performances, that is the issue!

Come back Mac all is forgiven.......

I'm sure the players and manager were disinterested

They accidently made it to this level of sport. Complete fluke really. 

I mean what's the difference between  winning and losing to them? It's just a career. Who wants a successful career? 

I mean I'm not on live TV and all over newspapers and watched in person by thousands of people every week but here I am, trying to be good at my dead end job with my stupid sense of pride while these athletes just toss it off...

I can't believe that we have fans on here calling for PC's head after TWO GAMES. I thought we were better than that.

Of course the performances so far have been poor but FFS people. 

Good players don't turn into poor players overnight but neither do very good & massively respected coaches. 

Looks like my prediction of expectations being too high and fans getting restless was wrong - by being about 10 games too late.

We are still on for two points per game in the league - where's the worry? ONE league game in, ONE.  I'm sure feet would be on the ground if we'd battered Bolton, rather than saying we've won already won the league. 

What about Watford's slow start? Norwich's? Long old season, folks. 

I can't believe that we have fans on here calling for PC's head after TWO GAMES. I thought we were better than that.

Of course the performances so far have been poor but FFS people. 

Good players don't turn into poor players overnight but neither do very good & massively respected coaches. 

Looks like my prediction of expectations being too high and fans getting restless was wrong - by being about 10 games too late.

Its the performances that is the issue, if we do a job on Charlton the season will kick off, if we have the same repeat of the last two games, then confidenceconfidence will be very low through the team.

As for ' massively respected coach', he was a no.2 this is his first coaching job......

We are still on for two points per game in the league - where's the worry? ONE league game in, ONE.  I'm sure feet would be on the ground if we'd battered Bolton, rather than saying we've won already won the league. 

What about Watford's slow start? Norwich's? Long old season, folks. 

It's about the way you play that you look for. 

Do you see any faults ever.  

Its the performances that is the issue, if we do a job on Charlton the season will kick off, if we have the same repeat of the last two games, then confidenceconfidence will be very low through the team.

As for ' massively respected coach', he was a no.2 this is his first coaching job......

So was he not a coach at Real Madrid then?

He certainly wasn't running the team, day-to-day, like he is here.  I'm sure Ancelotti listened to his opinions, but ultimately, it was Ancelotti picking the team and setting them up tactically.  Here, it's all on Clement, and so far, he looks clueless.

What worries me (and gas worried me since the Villarreal game) is just how open we are in midfield. On numerous occasions their CB was able to run 20/30 yards through the middle of us with the ball. The diamond is leaving huge gaps in the middle and down the sides, I'm not sure how that's possible. The players need to adapt to the system quickly though. 

on a positive note Russell, Thorne, Shackell, Baird all had decent games and we were robbed of s clear cut penalty. We didn't play well but should have drew. 

I won't go in to chopstick arms in net...

It's about the way you play that you look for. 

Do you see any faults ever.  

Of course I do, I saw plenty in Mac for the last 15 games.  I don't, however, start flapping after a combined 90 minutes away in the league against a team of thugs and a meaningless cup game. 

Clement knows the game far, far, far better than any of us.  Give him time.  

Of course I do, I saw plenty in Mac for the last 15 games.  I don't, however, start flapping after a combined 90 minutes away in the league against a team of thugs and a meaningless cup game. 

Totally agree we have to give him time. 

Just a bit disappointed at the moment that's all. 

Not going over the top but I still think we need another Central Striker and DM at the very least to push for top 2 .

Clement and the players have my full backing for what it's worth. 

People keep saying we are getting used to a knew style of play so can they enlighten me on what they think it is?

My opinion is we are defending deeper and dropping back when we lose the ball, attack wise all ive seen over the games thus far (including pre season) is we pass it around the back moving it from side to side then hit a long ball. We look more structured but not much movement.

Its not the results that are concerning me its the way we are playing, the players look like they haven't a clue and don't have much confidence in it. People kept saying we need a plan A and loving trying new systems like its a game of football manager, we don't look like we have a plan A yet.

Nope, he was number 2.

Goffa!

It was always going to be gamble!

He needs a great team game now against Charlton, what wee don't need is another performance like the last two.

Otherwise confidence will be shot, what with brum, boro and Leeds all to came in August, we need to start to play

as a team.

Clement may know the game but his task is to implement his vision through the  players/teams he selects and at this he is unproven and that's what he will be judged on , NOT his knowledge.

We were spoilt with the sort of football SM got us playing in 13/14. Last season we never quite reached those heights, but still had some momentum. The last 15 games really showed how the team was falling apart and SM days were done. With a new coach, new philosophy and new players to bed in, it would be naive to expect our very talented squad to hit the ground running and play like it's 13/14 again. Like the thread title suggests, it's a learning curve for all. Give it 10 games, and I'm sure we'll be seeing some cohesion and improvement.

Patience, everyone. A swallow doesn't make a summer, and all that.

Nope, he was number 2.

So you are saying he was not a coach at Real Madrid. Just like he wasn't a coach at Chelsea, or PSG or Fulham, or Blackburn, or Republic of Ireland U21.

I realise this is getting pedantic but it's hard to have an intelligent argument with somebody who is just wrong on basic facts.

So you are saying he was not a coach at Real Madrid. Just like he wasn't a coach at Chelsea, or PSG or Fulham, or Blackburn, or Republic of Ireland U21.

I realise this is getting pedantic but it's hard to have an intelligent argument with somebody who is just wrong on basic facts.

I have coached and managed kids footy for ten years now, and to be honest since i have been picking the team, I have not always done the coaching, I often get help from experienced professional coaches, they will ask me what do I want them to do, and I will ask for specifics, one example being  " defensive positioning " and the coaches will help the players improve that aspect of their game,  Setting the team up to play EVEN in kids football is way different to running coaching session, I can only imagine at the professional level the difference is cavernous. The dynamic between what happens in training, to being focused and set up properly for a game is not similar in anyway. Not all coaches can manage the matchday complexities.

This really isn't difficult. At Madrid and everywhere else, he was just a coach.  At Derby, he is having to do a whole load more - tactics, team selection, motivation etc.  That is the stuff he appears to be struggling with.  Just because he can coach at a high level, it doesn't magically give him the ability to do everything else require of a manager.

Archived