Learning Curve

Gladram

This really isn't difficult. At Madrid and everywhere else, he was just a coach.  At Derby, he is having to do a whole load more - tactics, team selection, motivation etc.  That is the stuff he appears to be struggling with.  Just because he can coach at a high level, it doesn't magically give him the ability to do everything else require of a manager.

Except that it does appear to be very difficult.

Do you know what he really did at his former clubs?. How do you know he wasn't involved in wider aspects of the game?.

How do you know it's not the players who are struggling to adapt and do what is asked of them?. Things looked better versus Villarreal and Burton. How do you know he's struggling to motivate the players?. Have you asked them?

I agree with the last statement but you can't form a conclusion based on guesses, speculation and estimates as to what his experience actually is plus the evidence from just 2 poor games.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that it does appear to be very difficult.

Do you know what he really did at his former clubs?. How do you know he wasn't involved in wider aspects of the game?.

How do you know it's not the players who are struggling to adapt and do what is asked of them?. Things looked better versus Villarreal and Burton. How do you know he's struggling to motivate the players?. Have you asked them?

I agree with the last statement but you can't form a conclusion based on guesses, speculation and estimates as to what his experience actually is plus the evidence from just 2 poor games.

All of the problems were very very apparent against Burton and Villareal as well (and Utrecht via the video stream).  We just got away with it because it was pre-season and teams weren't going hell-for-leather against us.  Those problems are now getting exposed in competitive games.  The thing that's worrying to me is that the problems are so obvious - even the Sky commentators were picking up on the lack of width and the problems it was causing us - so why isn't Clement trying to fix it?  And as for the players struggling to adapt, that's the root of the problem.  He's trying to get almost every single player in the squad doing something they're not comfortable with - it's no surprise we look like we do.

I have no idea for sure what he was doing at Madrid etc, but it's safe to say he wasn't completely in charge of coaching and picking the team and designing the tactics, otherwise what was Ancelotti doing?

In my humble opinion we need to address the midfield, defence seems as if it will be ok soon, I don't feel Hendrick showed much last night, Dawkins was ok, Baird should be RB, not midfield... but Hughes is a massive loss as we know and I feel we need a loan asap to link us up 

So you are saying he was not a coach at Real Madrid. Just like he wasn't a coach at Chelsea, or PSG or Fulham, or Blackburn, or Republic of Ireland U21.

I realise this is getting pedantic but it's hard to have an intelligent argument with somebody who is just wrong on basic facts.

I will say it again, it is a gamble, as he has never held this position previously.

Being involved with any form of coahing at PSG and RM is poles apart from being no.1 at Derby.

Working with Ancelotti he will have picked up masses of skills, being able to transfer them to a championship side is the difficult part.

Clements has had training with the players for 2 mouths and we're only 2 games in, but the alarming thing is I don't see any improvement on the last 10 games of the season, at least in those games we were creating chances and scoring goals. Yes I know we were conceding at the back for fun as well. But looking at the preseason games together with the last two, have we improved? Well sort of, we are not leaking goals in anymore, but we are also not attacting like we used to, we are not even creating chances, the performances have been poor and certainly not what I was expecting.

Clement came out and said that we have to play different formations, unfortunately the current one is not working, do we have a plan B?

Why when a team that had two of the best widemen in the division do we play narrow?

I will say it again, it is a gamble, as he has never held this position previously.

Nobody will argue with that. Of course it was a gamble.

I'm just surprised and disappointed that seemingly a number of fans are wanting to throw their cards onto the table so quickly.

If instant improvement in results is all we wanted, why didn't we go & hire Stuart Pearce?. He's got legendary honeymoon period results but quickly tails off. The club is wanting progression and you can't judge on that after so few games.

If things haven't improved after a dozen league games, I'll be criticizing but it's crazy talk to say we've made the wrong choice now.

I think the problem may be that the key director effectively decided that we needed multiple formations, and that 433 was too open etc etc.

so PC has been asked to solve the problems that they reckon schteve couldn't solve.

at the end of the season we were too open, so one formation option seemed to be designed to make us more compact.

However sometimes when you try to solve a problem you just swap one problem for another

the diamond shows Ancelotti's influence but the narrow formation v bolton was an alarming tactical shift as the numerous weaknesses in the system are all too obvious.

I think the transfer activity has created a selection problem. Ince isn't a central midfielder. baird is a full back.

Has Dawkins got the mentality to dominate the midfield? Where do weimann, bryson and hendrick fit in? 

Atm for me its......

...........................CARSON

BAIRD........KEOGG.......SHACKELL......??

........................THORNE

INCE..............DAWKINS......RUSSELL

............WEIMANN.......MARTIN

And stop worrying about giving everyone a game. Settle on an  11 and let the others suffer.

Sub 

hendrick for Dawkins if he's not on it.

thats about it.

Calm down everyone,it's been 1 game,and 1 cup game,it will change,our squad is very strong in this league,I have every confidence,we will all be smiling come the start of May,so stop moaning and get behind the team,on Saturday at Bolton,there was so many bloody moaners,for God sake the season has just started.

I think the problem may be that the key director effectively decided that we needed multiple formations, and that 433 was too open etc etc.

so PC has been asked to solve the problems that they reckon schteve couldn't solve.

at the end of the season we were too open, so one formation option seemed to be designed to make us more compact.

However sometimes when you try to solve a problem you just swap one problem for another

the diamond shows Ancelotti's influence but the narrow formation v bolton was an alarming tactical shift as the numerous weaknesses in the system are all too obvious.

I think the transfer activity has created a selection problem. Ince isn't a central midfielder. baird is a full back.

Has Dawkins got the mentality to dominate the midfield? Where do weimann, bryson and hendrick fit in? 

Atm for me its......

...........................CARSON

BAIRD........KEOGG.......SHACKELL......??

........................THORNE

INCE..............DAWKINS......RUSSELL

............WEIMANN.......MARTIN

And stop worrying about giving everyone a game. Settle on an  11 and let the others suffer.

Sub 

hendrick for Dawkins if he's not on it.

thats about it.

How can you complain about us being too open then suggest a team with ONE central midfielder?! I give up...

Archived