Burton (Something) v Derby County

i-Ram

I think Shotton has been a disappointment. I thought we were getting a big strong Tony Pulis centre half,

If he was a big strong Tony Pulis centre half he would have played under him :p 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Shotton has been awful for us, just average. 

A lot of people gave Albentosa a chance to prove himself as he was played out of position in the left of defence, but people also forget that Shotton was also played out of position for the majority of the season. 

Its possible you might be right i-ram but nevertheless I don't think it's good form to be saying things sound a bit racistey (it either is or it isn't) or go looking for racism when there is no evidence of it. Either provide evidence or say nothing. It's actually a terrible thing to accuse people of racism or suggest racism might be an underlying factor in somebody's thoughts without good evidence. I'm a bit surprised that post came from you if I'm honest.

Scapegoat number 1 is Keogh and he's a white bloke with a ginger beard. 

Having said that, it's you so you could be on a big wind up and I've just fallen for it.

Thanks for the note Stringer. Was p!ssed last night after a good day in Brighton enjoying Gay Pride, only spoilt by a few idiots who took exception to there being a few gays in the City - go figure.  Perhaps witnessing* that prejudice influenced my post, but maybe it was the shed load of beer.  I think the points you make are valid, although I am not sure my email was one of accusation. Anyway, I made my points, and we all move on.

* I like the last sentence. I am concerned though you think me a bit of a WUM :lol:.  I feel I should also confirm to a few on the forum that I am not gay. Accordingly if anyone doesn't like me or my posting style I do hope the dislike is not derived from the thought that I might like it up the chuffer.

I'm just curious about the title of this thread. Do people have something against Burton Albion? Having listened to their exploits on Radio Derby since the mid-70s, I've always had a soft spot and think it's brilliant they're now up to League One (ie into the third division). Hope they continue their upward momentum and soon overtake the gumps who are fast going in the other direction.

Fair observation Carl - although please note it was my posting alone (I didn't gather a number of people around me to determine how I might best belittle Burton, its' townsfolk, and in particular it's football team.). I apologise profusely for any slight, intended or otherwise, to the mighty Albion. Just for the record should I also not be demeaning of Nottingham Forest too? Or the Gumps as you refer them :lol:

Fair observation Carl - although please note it was my posting alone (I didn't gather a number of people around me to determine how I might best belittle Burton, its' townsfolk, and in particular it's football team.). I apologise profusely for any slight, intended or otherwise, to the mighty Albion. Just for the record should I also not be demeaning of Nottingham Forest too? Or the Gumps as you refer them :lol:

Burton are like our kid brother. Forest are like the bonehead down the road who borrowed your best gay pride rainbow flag and now won't give it back.

the criticism of our defence has spared no-one and is not restricted to players of a certain skin tone.

i think a fair summary would be:

christie - started brilliantly but lost form. Probably will never be a natural defender therefore needs to be effective going forward and he seemed to become less and less effective. People hope he will rediscovers his good form. Wisdom is often proposed as a better alternative. Ssewankambo has created a good first impression. Spot anything unusual there if trying to argue that prejudice is involved ?

shotton - has all the physical attributes to be a great defender but he makes daft decisions e.g. The Reading goal where he pirouettes and waves a leg at the ball; on other occasions he goes chasing after a ball he is unlikely to win and leaves a big hole e.g. Watford. if he can hold his position and become more disciplined then he may improve. shackell could help improve his game.

albentosa - took just as much stick as these two. It was a strange signing because we were already well stocked with right side centre backs, and why the rush to get him in? He never had time to settle and adjust. A lack of pace and a lack of concentration at key moments didn't help but he was thrust into a difficult situation.

Keogh - has been hammered for sliding around, sitting down, shouting at others etc etc. despite all that most people think he is one of our better performers at the back. But the haters are relentless.

forsyth and warnock - have hardly been immume from criticism. Do these players have the same skin colour as christie and shotton?

its a daft argument.

the criticism of our defence has spared no-one and is not restricted to players of a certain skin tone.

christie - started brilliantly but lost form. Probably will never be a natural defender therefore needs to be effective going forward and he seemed to become less and less effective. People hope he will rediscovers his good form. Wisdom is often proposed as a better alternative. Ssewankambo has created a good first impression. Spot anything unusual there if trying to argue that prejudice is involved ?

shotton - has all the physical attributes to be a great defender but he makes daft decisions e.g. The Reading goal where he pirouettes and waves a leg at the ball; on other occasions he goes chasing after a ball he is unlikely to win and leaves a big hole e.g. Watford. if he can hold his position and become more disciplined then he may improve. shackell could help improve his game.

albentosa - took just as much stick as these two. It was a strange signing because we were already well stocked with right side centre backs, and why the rush to get him in? He never had time to settle and adjust. A lack of pace and a lack of concentration at key moments didn't help but he was thrust into a difficult situation.

Keogh - has been hammered for sliding around, sitting down, shouting at others etc etc. despite all that most people think he is one of our better performers at the back. But the haters are relentless.

forsyth and warnock - have hardly been immume from criticism. Do these players have the same skin colour as christie and shotton?

its a daft argument.

none of them are english though....

its a daft argument.

none of them are english though.... oops Shotton may be.

Can't wait until Shackel drops a few clangers and then seeing the reasoning by some of why it is okay - or even oblivious - while maintaining the hate for Keogh, Shotton and Christie. 

He made one Saturday not long after Keogh came on and gave the ball straight to Burton... not one groan.

Archived