Gaming

SaintRam

Played Fallout 3 and finished it. Thought it was ok but not a game I'd ever go back to. Similarly, played Skyrim, but didn't finish it. They're good games, if you're into that level of detail, but I found the minutiae overwhelming to the point of detracting from the stories they were telling. For open world/RPG I much prefer Rockstar or Bioware's efforts. Red Dead, GTA, Dragon Age and Mass Effect - O-sum.

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Played Fallout 3 and finished it. Thought it was ok but not a game I'd ever go back to. Similarly, played Skyrim, but didn't finish it. They're good games, if you're into that level of detail, but I found the minutiae overwhelming to the point of detracting from the stories they were telling. For open world/RPG I much prefer Rockstar or Bioware's efforts. Red Dead, GTA, Dragon Age and Mass Effect - O-sum.

Played all and enjoyed them all hugely, adore them, personally I wouldn't put them in the same category because you're still very much playing their characters in those games as oppose to your own. But as you say it all comes down to what you enjoy and that is different for anyone. Personally the only games I put ahead of Fallout and Elder Scrolls for my specific tastes are old d&d games; Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate etc. 

25 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Awesome launch trailer, cannot wait till Tuesday. Anyone else preordered or going to purchase when released?

Yeah - I'll be playing it.

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

Is it a particular bit or just the general difficulty of the gameplay? 

Such a great game and story. 

Tell me you're enjoying the story?!!

I'm just cr@p at it. :)  

I don't know if I'm far enough into the game, to get involved with the story. I haven't played it for a few weeks. I'm with the girl, and a woman, who basically just follow me around. Usually just standing there bored, while numpty here tries to figure out which way I'm supposed to go. 

Think the bit I'm stuck in...... Just picked up a metal bar (…?), turn left, and then kill something. Seems you need to hit him three times! Then immediately get caught and killed by, whatever the things are called! 

Gets very monotonous, playing the same ten seconds again and again. Also, the dark, dreary environment doesn't exactly make me want to put it back on. So many games seem to be like this. 

Guess I'm just not a gamer! 

On betas and whatnot I am a 'Founder' for Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade - currently in early access on Steam - and the NDA'd server for us to test stuff went up yesterday so I'm looking forward to that. 

17 hours ago, SaintRam said:

To answer your question @Daveo, for people who are big into sandbox roleplaying games Fallout and Elder Scrolls are pretty much cream of the crop, and the depth of the lore means that the enjoyment of it can filter into other mediums. The only thing I enjoy more for the roleplaying than those series' of games is tabletop D&D :p 

Lots of very valid reasons why people don't like them though, and I do think the hype of it is a little OTT - but that happens with lots of games across multiple genres. I've been caught out buying a game that just wasn't for me because of the hype, usually FPS games. 

I loved Fallout 3, probably would have loved New Vegas as well had it decided not to corrupt all my save files which resulted in the disc being binned.

Skyrim I also enjoyed for the most part but never fully completed it.

Fallout 4 I just find dull and boring, not to mention riddled with bugs. Only yesterday I lost a good 15 minutes worth of a battle as it auto saved whilst I was stuck crouched on a chair half into the wall and couldn't get off.

Also the part where you go through Kellogs memory I had to do all over again as it wouldn't trigger the final part in the last room.

Gun refusing to ads is a daily annoyance as well.

I'm 6 main quests through right now, 40 side quests completed, no idea how far that puts me in. Oh and my camp went to 76% happiness and now dropped to 54% for no reason what so ever, tried to please them the ungrateful tossers

Fair enough, then @Daveo. I'll be honest I finished Fallout 4 and haven't gone back to it - I played NV and F3 like 4 times in a row lol. Will go back in a year or so when there are tons of interesting mods. 

I also remember standing in the last room on the memory sequence for an age but it eventually triggered. Luckily I was being distracted lol 

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

On betas and whatnot I am a 'Founder' for Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade - currently in early access on Steam - and the NDA'd server for us to test stuff went up yesterday so I'm looking forward to that. 

I'm so glad that WH40k games didn't go down the swanny with the demise of THQ. Dawn of War was a fantastic series which did the rich lore some justice. I used to play the table top game, still have some of my better painted Chaos Marine models.

Eternal Crusade is a Bandai/Namco game isn't it? Didn't realise they had the rights for 40k, thought they only did past, Mark of Chaos was okay.

Hoping there's a Total War: Warhammer 40k too. I see they're doing the past version, which is looking good. Rome 2 was excellent.

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm so glad that WH40k games didn't go down the swanny with the demise of THQ. Dawn of War was a fantastic series which did the rich lore some justice. I used to play the table top game, still have some of my better painted Chaos Marine models.

Eternal Crusade is a Bandai/Namco game isn't it? Didn't realise they had the rights for 40k, thought they only did past, Mark of Chaos was okay.

Hoping there's a Total War: Warhammer 40k too. I see they're doing the past version, which is looking good. Rome 2 was excellent.

the Last Stand mode on DoW...2? was amazing. Spent far more hours in that than I should have.

And yeah it's being published by Bandai Namco - developed by Behaviour, who are an interesting group, been following them closely ever since I sunk money into it and they seem to be huge fans of 40k, and care a lot about it. I play Killing Floor 2 with the community manager pretty regularly lol

A Total War: 40k would really need to be intergalactic and I'm not sure of the potential for them doing that, the Warhammer one looks good though, I used to have a pretty big fantasy collection.

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

the Last Stand mode on DoW...2? was amazing. Spent far more hours in that than I should have.

And yeah it's being published by Bandai Namco - developed by Behaviour, who are an interesting group, been following them closely ever since I sunk money into it and they seem to be huge fans of 40k, and care a lot about it. I play Killing Floor 2 with the community manager pretty regularly lol

A Total War: 40k would really need to be intergalactic and I'm not sure of the potential for them doing that, the Warhammer one looks good though, I used to have a pretty big fantasy collection.

Be prepared to spend a few more, they're releasing another character - the Necron Overlord - in celebration of the 5 year anniversary of DoW2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-necron-overlord-is-coming-to-dawn-of-war-2-retribution/

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Be prepared to spend a few more, they're releasing another character - the Necron Overlord - in celebration of the 5 year anniversary of DoW2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-necron-overlord-is-coming-to-dawn-of-war-2-retribution/

As enticing as that sounds I don't hang out with the guys I used to play it with any more lol so I probably won't get into it

On 2 March 2016 at 17:16, AmericanRam said:

Awesome launch trailer, cannot wait till Tuesday. Anyone else preordered or going to purchase when released?

37 quid for the gold edition on the Xbox if you order from the Argentina store.  Takes about 30 mins to set up, but worth it for saving a few pennies...

Fallout 4 finished, went for the Minutemen ending, probably should have saved at the Nuclear mission to go through each ending but I have some paint I could watch dry.

Jumped on to the Rocket League hype train now, not been online yet....kinda fun but not sure I could sit and play for long periods, get dizzy easily and it's a real thumb killer!

14 hours ago, Daveo said:

Fallout 4 finished, went for the Minutemen ending, probably should have saved at the Nuclear mission to go through each ending but I have some paint I could watch dry.

Jumped on to the Rocket League hype train now, not been online yet....kinda fun but not sure I could sit and play for long periods, get dizzy easily and it's a real thumb killer!

I haven't noticed the thumb killing, although I have remapped the controls a bit. 

You could mess with your camera settings to help the dizzyness, increase the FOV and slow the speed the camera rotates etc. 

Do you play mostly in normal cam or ball cam?

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I haven't noticed the thumb killing, although I have remapped the controls a bit. 

You could mess with your camera settings to help the dizzyness, increase the FOV and slow the speed the camera rotates etc. 

Do you play mostly in normal cam or ball cam?

I switch between the 2 cameras quite a bit, maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

Its a fun game, probably better playing with people you know and being able to communicate, went online today and got pretty frustrated, smashed in my first game :lol: 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I switch between the 2 cameras quite a bit, maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

Its a fun game, probably better playing with people you know and being able to communicate, went online today and got pretty frustrated, smashed in my first game :lol: 

image.jpeg

Yeah that'll happen.

Generally the standard is to be in ball cam almost all the time, come out of it when driving away from the ball to get boost or to reposition (so you don't crash into teammates) and some players come out of it when hitting shots on the ground for better accuracy. You won't be able to learn how to aerial very successfully without being in ball cam. 

The difficulty with ball cam for players learning is the direction of your flips are based on the direction your car is facing, not the direction your camera is looking. That really screws with people until they get used to it.