SV Meppen v Derby County

-JW-

I have deduced that we beat a poor German team 1-0 and we missed a shed load of chances. I also know that Clement is satisfied, and that everyone seemed to be wearing a black armband for Keogh.  But did anybody play really well (or not)?  Is anybody other than Ince sure of starting come the big day? If anyone can provide such an insight for me I would be most appreciative.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have deduced that we beat a poor German team 1-0 and we missed a shed load of chances. I also know that Clement is satisfied, and that everyone seemed to be wearing a black armband for Keogh.  But did anybody play really well (or not)?  Is anybody other than Ince sure of starting come the big day? If anyone can provide such an insight for me I would be most appreciative.

yes, there will definately be more than just ince starting v bolton.

I thought we were poor, i know we created quite a few chances but i thought the energy levels were not there, we looked sluggish and failed to stretch them especially down the flanks. We seemed to play very narrow.

Disappointed with Ince, Weimann, Brsyon and Hendrick really. Thought Thorne was decent, and i thought Martin did ok for the first game he has played. The defence, not a lot to say, they didn't have much to do really and it wasn't really a proper test for them. 

I have some serious concerns as to how we are going to play and how we are going to stretch teams, and pull them apart. The front 3 of Martin, Ince and Weimann interchanged a lot during the first half, this is clearly something they have been working on but seeing martin on the left an right just didn't seem right somehow.

Pretty sure Bournemouth won the Championship last season playing one way. In fact, it didn't really matter who played, they all knew their job. They made ten changes in cup matches and still reached the latter stages.

They also had strength in depth and were never overly reliable on one or two players, like we were.

I don't buy this need of a plan B, If system A works, then there is no need to change it. Nobody will ever win every game, so it's pointless to say that a team 'has been found out' when they don't win.

Paul Clement seems to want to use multiple systems, but I think the only reason he's doing that is because we've now got players who don't fit into a 4-3-3, such as Bent and Weimann (if his best position is through the midde). 

It remains to be seen whether Paul Clement can pull it off. If he can't, then it will ultimately come down to poor recruitment in not buying the essential players to fit the 4-3-3 system which served us so well.

Agree with every word.

Again

Footage is on RamsPlayer.

The SV Meppen team had 8 men behind the ball and their keeper was unbelievable, so many saves. Should have been at least 5 - 0.

What I can see from watch the highlights back is that Paul Clement is playing very incisive. We've got pace up front and everyone is running behind defenders with all the midfielders passing through 2 or 3 players to feet. Chris Martin seems to be still acting as a pivot point but more from the side, he's not so central, seems to float around a bit doing flick ons.

Keeps everyone guessing.

Footage is on RamsPlayer.

The SV Meppen team had 8 men behind the ball and their keeper was unbelievable, so many saves. Should have been at least 5 - 0.

What I can see from watch the highlights back is that Paul Clement is playing very incisive. We've got pace up front and everyone is running behind defenders with all the midfielders passing through 2 or 3 players to feet. Chris Martin seems to be still acting as a pivot point but more from the side, he's not so central, seems to float around a bit doing flick ons.

Keeps everyone guessing.

8 minutes and almost all Derby highlights, good watch. The counter-attack was woeful though, even worse than it sounded on the radio. Hanson? I think, took far too long to give it to Forsyth, who then kicked it straight at the only defender who in turn moved up, so when Forsyth got a second chance everyone was offside. A good indicator of how far off competitive sharpness at least some of the lads are.

8 minutes and almost all Derby highlights, good watch. The counter-attack was woeful though, even worse than it sounded on the radio. Hanson? I think, took far too long to give it to Forsyth, who then kicked it straight at the only defender who in turn moved up, so when Forsyth got a second chance everyone was offside. A good indicator of how far off competitive sharpness at least some of the lads are.

That's the decision making PC is on about. I fear for Fozzy in that respect. Could hand a start to Warnock.

That's the decision making PC is on about. I fear for Fozzy in that respect. Could hand a start to Warnock.

Warnock did an amazing cross field pass to whoever was on the wing. I really think Clement is going to be playing most of the football on the floor and the team is set up to stretch defenses with people running behind defenders. Warnock has a better passing range and more accuracy than Fozzy so would make sense.

Archived