SV Meppen v Derby County

-JW-

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Clement labelled himself ‘satisfied’ with what he saw from his Derby County side after their 1-0 pre-season friendly win over SV Meppen.

I think it is a step in the right direction after a disappointing performance in the last game."

Paul Clement

The game against the German side was the first of two games for the Rams as part of their week-long tour of Holland.

A first half strike from Tom Ince won the game for Derby although the side did have an abundance of chances and could have won by more goals.

However, Clement was pleased with the performance of his side after calling them to ‘up their levels’ following last weekend’s friendly at Northampton Town.

He got the reaction he wanted and told Rams Player HD: “I’m satisfied with that and particularly the performance in the first half.

“I think it is a step in the right direction after a disappointing performance in the last game.

“The application of the players was good and they took on board a lot of the ideas that we have been working on in training.

“We created a lot of chances and the only criticism really is that we didn’t put the opposition to bed.

“They had a free-kick late on and on another day that could have hit the underside of the bar and gone in.

“We just need to be a bit more ruthless with the finishing and on another day we could have won something like 4-0 and been delighted.”

image: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/cms_images/player/insert-clementclosemeppen129-2561815.jpg

After starting with a 4-3-3 formation in Derby’s first two friendly games, Clement opted for a 4-4-2 line-up against Meppen.

George Thorne, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick and Tom Ince lined up in a midfield diamond and Clement has stressed the benefit of being able to use different systems.

He said: “I thought we played some good football and the system that we played was only used for half an hour at Northampton, whereas tonight we used it for the whole game.

“It showed a nice balance as we attacked and defended well, especially in the first half.

“I would like to have a few systems to pick from, based on who is performing well and the opposition we are facing, be it home or away.

“We want to be comfortable in a couple of systems so we have that adaptability at the start of games and to also change if required.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/paul-clement-sv-meppen-reaction-2561730.aspx#I2wUBAZ9ha0pHRzQ.99

Paul Clement labelled himself ‘satisfied’ with what he saw from his Derby County side after their 1-0 pre-season friendly win over SV Meppen.

I think it is a step in the right direction after a disappointing performance in the last game."

Paul Clement

The game against the German side was the first of two games for the Rams as part of their week-long tour of Holland.

A first half strike from Tom Ince won the game for Derby although the side did have an abundance of chances and could have won by more goals.

However, Clement was pleased with the performance of his side after calling them to ‘up their levels’ following last weekend’s friendly at Northampton Town.

He got the reaction he wanted and told Rams Player HD: “I’m satisfied with that and particularly the performance in the first half.

“I think it is a step in the right direction after a disappointing performance in the last game.

“The application of the players was good and they took on board a lot of the ideas that we have been working on in training.

“We created a lot of chances and the only criticism really is that we didn’t put the opposition to bed.

“They had a free-kick late on and on another day that could have hit the underside of the bar and gone in.

“We just need to be a bit more ruthless with the finishing and on another day we could have won something like 4-0 and been delighted.”

image: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/cms_images/player/insert-clementclosemeppen129-2561815.jpg

After starting with a 4-3-3 formation in Derby’s first two friendly games, Clement opted for a 4-4-2 line-up against Meppen.

George Thorne, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick and Tom Ince lined up in a midfield diamond and Clement has stressed the benefit of being able to use different systems.

He said: “I thought we played some good football and the system that we played was only used for half an hour at Northampton, whereas tonight we used it for the whole game.

“It showed a nice balance as we attacked and defended well, especially in the first half.

“I would like to have a few systems to pick from, based on who is performing well and the opposition we are facing, be it home or away.

“We want to be comfortable in a couple of systems so we have that adaptability at the start of games and to also change if required.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/paul-clement-sv-meppen-reaction-2561730.aspx#I2wUBAZ9ha0pHRzQ.99

thanks for posting this

thanks for posting this

You're welcome , i just hope PC realises we are Derby County , and have always had the habit of

raising our hopes one minute , then dashing 'em the next ..

fingers crossed he can fix that .

Exciting to read these posts from start to finish. I missed the first 30 mins and I found the commentary less interesting than the posting.Feels like we are among friends and fans on here. I could not keep track of who was on the field and which formation they were playing. Has anyone got the brains to list the players in formation and to change them with timings as the game went on. Sounds difficult!. 

Clement out. 

Incompetant manager that can't beat a 4th tier side in Germany or England better than 1-0. 

We need experience not some hot shot. 

the sad thing is some fans might believe this to be true. (I believe you are a more intelligent poster than this sarcastic, tongue in cheek post)

I find it a good thing that pc is trying different things and if the lads can really take to him. Maybe there will be nrothing stopping us winning the league this season. I also find it is a good thing that we are finding oppersition that can put us under a cosh a bit and to keep a clean sheet is great news.

What crap are you guys talking about. Numbers numbers numbers. The shape is irrelevant, it's the personnel and the coaching. They might be 4-1-3-2 now but they're not going to stay that way are they? Players will move where there is space.

You sure Tombo?

image.jpg

that's how you win the championship, you cant be found out and plotted against.

Pretty sure Bournemouth won the Championship last season playing one way. In fact, it didn't really matter who played, they all knew their job. They made ten changes in cup matches and still reached the latter stages.

They also had strength in depth and were never overly reliable on one or two players, like we were.

I don't buy this need of a plan B, If system A works, then there is no need to change it. Nobody will ever win every game, so it's pointless to say that a team 'has been found out' when they don't win.

Paul Clement seems to want to use multiple systems, but I think the only reason he's doing that is because we've now got players who don't fit into a 4-3-3, such as Bent and Weimann (if his best position is through the midde). 

It remains to be seen whether Paul Clement can pull it off. If he can't, then it will ultimately come down to poor recruitment in not buying the essential players to fit the 4-3-3 system which served us so well.

Pretty sure Bournemouth won the Championship last season playing one way. In fact, it didn't really matter who played, they all knew their job. They made ten changes in cup matches and still reached the latter stages.

They also had strength in depth and were never overly reliable on one or two players, like we were.

I don't buy this need of a plan B, If system A works, then there is no need to change it. Nobody will ever win every game, so it's pointless to say that a team 'has been found out' when they don't win.

Paul Clement seems to want to use multiple systems, but I think the only reason he's doing that is because we've now got players who don't fit into a 4-3-3, such as Bent and Weimann (if his best position is through the midde). 

It remains to be seen whether Paul Clement can pull it off. If he can't, then it will ultimately come down to poor recruitment in not buying the essential players to fit the 4-3-3 system which served us so well.

What im trying to say is slightly different i feel, see last season how many times opponents parked the bus and we struggled to break through?

What im trying to say is slightly different i feel, see last season how many times opponents parked the bus and we struggled to break through?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we applied our system all too well last season. We were far too controlling, unwilling to shoot at times and happy to 'professionally' see out victories rather than push on for more goals.

But having said all that, we were top until we lost Martin and all our DMs at the same time. While performances could have been better, we were still doing enough.

We never got 'found out' because we were never going to win every game anyway. Losses against Boro and Wigan and the draw at home to Millwall in particular (where we didn't create anything) were rare. One in ten matches, not one in two.

Archived