Stewart Downing to Boro

robglosta

Massive signing, got to be looking at top two (on paper). 

You guys need to calm down. They are not gaining anything. Boro will be lucky if this guy and Downing replace Bamford's and Vossen's goals from last season. Boro had a solid defense last season. They had an average goal scoring record. No chance they can replicate their defensive form from last season. That was a peak. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys need to calm down. They are not gaining anything. Boro will be lucky if this guy and Downing replace Bamford's and Vossen's goals from last season. Boro had a solid defense last season. They had an average goal scoring record. No chance they can replicate their defensive form from last season. That was a peak. 

Collectively Bamford and Vossen managed 24 goals. You'd hope over £7mil for 2 attacking players should be able to manage 24 goals between them. You'd hope...

I don't need to do anything.  Making a coherent observation about the signing of two players who will have a big impact on a team likely to be challenging us next season is what this thread is for.  Another year together for Boro, very solid defence and now two quality attacking players for this league - they'll be a big threat to top two. 

Collectively Bamford and Vossen managed 24 goals. You'd hope over £7mil for 2 attacking players should be able to manage 24 goals between them. You'd hope...

Boro scored just 68 league goals last season. They won't concede so few this season. So it's not just replacing goals, they will need to score a few more for automatics in my view. 

How do you know this though? People could say that we won't concede as many this season, doesn't mean that'll stop people demanding a brand new defence.

I don't, but because of peaks and troughs. Last season that was a peak defensive record. If I am not allowed to do that then none of you lot are either. None of you are allowed to assume that Downing and this new striker will do well. My point of view which is backed up by the stats is that they will need to do more than well. If these two or one had gone to Boro on top of the two who are not returning then my view would be different. If we sold Martin and Russell and replaced them with two players who might replace their contribution we wouldn't then be saying we will do better. 

Middlesbrough have simply offered him a contract no Premier League side would. 

No secret to why he has stepped down a league. Fair play to Downing, he's pulled himself an absolutely stunning deal without heading to the MLS or the Middle East. 

I hope it works out just as well when Kelvin Wilson went 'home' though. 

Squawka Football ‏@Squawka  18m18 minutes ago

No English player created more chances in the Premier League over the last two seasons than Stewart Downing (147).

And he's stepping DOWN a league. 

You shouldn't take that at face value. Last season specifically it was 80 something and people are claiming that includes shots on target and set pieces. If that is the case then people should be asking why he only managed 7 goals and 10 assists over the last 2 seasons. Which includes just 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 25 appearances. Downing as with West Ham, had a great start to last season. Out of the 7 goals and 10 assists he has got over the last 2 seasons, some 4 goals and 6 assists came in the first 18 matches of last season. Outside of that time his return has been poor. 

You shouldn't take that at face value. Last season specifically it was 80 something and people are claiming that includes shots on target and set pieces. If that is the case then people should be asking why he only managed 7 goals and 10 assists over the last 2 seasons. Which includes just 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 25 appearances. Downing as with West Ham, had a great start to last season. Out of the 7 goals and 10 assists he has got over the last 2 seasons, some 4 goals and 6 assists came in the first 18 matches of last season. Outside of that time his return has been poor. 

Shouldn't really use assists as a judge. The other player has to score the goal to gain an assist. I mean, if Messi was passing to himself instead of Neymar, Suarez and Jordi Alba (as good as they are) he'd rack up over 50 assists a season.

The fact Downing has created so many chances is testiment to his ability. He is the best player in the Championship in his position, and by some distance too.

I fancied Boro to win the league before the window as i knew they'd strengthen well. With Downing, the likelihood of another three Chelsea players heading there on loan, the competition weakening (IMO). I think they'll win it with over 90 points.

Shouldn't really use assists as a judge. The other player has to score the goal to gain an assist. I mean, if Messi was passing to himself instead of Neymar, Suarez and Jordi Alba (as good as they are) he'd rack up over 50 assists a season.

The fact Downing has created so many chances is testiment to his ability. He is the best player in the Championship in his position, and by some distance too.

I fancied Boro to win the league before the window as i knew they'd strengthen well. With Downing, the likelihood of another three Chelsea players heading there on loan, the competition weakening (IMO). I think they'll win it with over 90 points.

Boro's biggest signing will be hanging on to Karanka.

For me, they look certs for promotion.

They were a better side than Derby last season and they have strengthened. Downing is an absolute no brainer. The type of player that if available, you make him yours.

They have paid for five years of (injury permitting) quality on their left side irrespective of what division they are playing.

I don't understand why he is considered surplus to requirements at West Ham.

Christ, and people say we're trying to buy the league!  £5m and a 5 year deal that's got to be £10k a week at least...

Saying that, on his day he'll be very good in this division.  If they manage to bring in a good forward and steer clear of injuries they'll be there or there abouts.

Downing's a top signing for them if they chuck him in as a no.10, their main weakness last year was that they were nowhere near as bigger attacking threat as Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford or us.

Get a creative playmaker with PL quality running their attack, it'll transform them.

And people saying Ince is a better signing; he isn't right now, but in 2 years time, we'll still have a great young, English winger and they'll have a decreasingly bad, highly paid Stewart Downing.

Time will tell, no ones ever a certainty to get automatics.

Spot on. 

Archived