Stewart Downing to Boro

robglosta

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would rather Ince/Weimann/Russell/Bennett/Calero all day long.

...can't be £7 million, surely not. He's what, 30 now? 

Had a good season last season, I'd guess it's more about sentimental reasons for him returning to them. Could do very well at this level. 

£5m plus add ons I think.

On form an absolute blinding signing, going home as well, is he worth £7m? if they get promoted worth every penny.

Still a 5 year deal, and from what I've heard quite serious wages. This "it's worth it if promotion" concept doesn't take into account the costs of a team staying in the Premier League, clauses involved, additional off the field costs, and the risk of coming straight back down having spent the big money on players no better or potentially worse than what you had. £7 million would be no small signing in the Premier League, and even if it's only £5 million + add ons (i.e. a promotion clause for example), that with a 5 year deal is a massive gamble for a player in their mid 20s, let alone a player who is in their 30s. 

Don't get me wrong, he's a class player, and a very serious shout for the best player in the division, and he could make the difference for them. But at that age, a few injuries, a drop in form, they're then lumped with someone in their 30s who they won't be able to get their money back on, on potentially large wages. 

In any case, ignoring the financial side, a great signing for them. 

Turns 31 before the start of the season. Well past his prime. Wingers peak far earlier and end their careers end earlier than other positions. Has scored only 7 goals in his last 74 games. Assists are now rare for him too. No resale value. This is a terrible piece of business by them. So much for US being the ones buying success. 

Turns 31 before the start of the season. Well past his prime. Wingers peak far earlier and end their careers end earlier than other positions. Has scored only 7 goals in his last 74 games. Assists are now rare for him too. No resale value. This is a terrible piece of business by them. So much for US being the ones buying success. 

Created the most chances of any Englishman in the Prem last season (potentially second overall after Fabregas but not 100% sure on that).

Quality player that should be playing in the Premier League (surprised Sunderland or Newcastle haven't gone for him).  Can play CM as well which reduces the wingers peaking earlier issue.

Not any more convincing in the prem than Bent was for me. Yes, i know they were different positions.

i think/hope we've got the better deal.

Archived