Back room staff announced

Cardifframs

I'm not saying Steele couldn't have worked with the new staff, and defo not judging Pascal Zuberbuhler before he starts, hoping he's brilliant, but the assumption he is a downgrade on Steele raises an interesting(ish) question, how good or bad does a coach have to be for that to make more impact than their relationship with the manager? You could have the top coach in the world but if the manager/ head coach doesn't trust them, share ideas and opinions and generally work well together how much help could they honestly be?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i find his form puzzling tbh.

I don't remember him causing me any sleepless nights before last season. He dropped clangers when he was younger but i thought he'd put all that behind him. 

It was all fine before that daft thing at Bournemouth. That wasn't down to injury either. 

But some... he had apparently torn his calf muscle and any extension of his leg caused pain. So maybe we could cut him a bit of slack.

The thing with Grant for me is we know what he can do consistently. So much so that when Butland came I think a lot of people were saying they miss Grant. I remember a few times (such as vs Wigan when Butland made a half decent save but pushed it back into danger) thinking "Can't remember Grant doing that." And Butland is clearly a good keeper.

Even the calf injury doesn't excuse some of the stuff. But discomfort and confidence are a big deal to athletes. 

I hope he gets a run at the start of the season because I think he'll bury your concerns. I don't think there's many better keepers in the Champ. I can't think of a keeper that doesn't go through a series of disasters. Same as strikers. Big pressure positions. 

It's a shame we finished a good season the way we did. If all the bad stuff had been at the start and we'd been playing catch up then I wonder what would be different?  If we could use the excuse of play off hangover. As it is apparently a few injuries were fatigue related.  Finishing like that cast doubts over everyone and it's going to drag on until at least August.

I think people are making to much about a goalkeeper coach effecting the players performance. Many great keepers Lots of different coaches yet they played the same and they were still great keepers. Grants errors were down to his ability and decision making. 

It was all fine before that daft thing at Bournemouth. That wasn't down to injury either. 

But some... he had apparently torn his calf muscle and any extension of his leg caused pain. So maybe we could cut him a bit of slack.

The thing with Grant for me is we know what he can do consistently. So much so that when Butland came I think a lot of people were saying they miss Grant. I remember a few times (such as vs Wigan when Butland made a half decent save but pushed it back into danger) thinking "Can't remember Grant doing that." And Butland is clearly a good keeper.

Even the calf injury doesn't excuse some of the stuff. But discomfort and confidence are a big deal to athletes. 

I hope he gets a run at the start of the season because I think he'll bury your concerns. I don't think there's many better keepers in the Champ. I can't think of a keeper that doesn't go through a series of disasters. Same as strikers. Big pressure positions. 

It's a shame we finished a good season the way we did. If all the bad stuff had been at the start and we'd been playing catch up then I wonder what would be different?  If we could use the excuse of play off hangover. As it is apparently a few injuries were fatigue related.  Finishing like that cast doubts over everyone and it's going to drag on until at least August.

I thought that was **** refereeing. Completely failed to follow the rule re forwards not making lateral movements when a keeper is trying to kick out of his hands.

I thought that was **** refereeing. Completely failed to follow the rule re forwards not making lateral movements when a keeper is trying to kick out of his hands.

i thought he meant when grant trod on the ball.

"Required skill set" could mean any number of things, why do you assume it's solely about experience? Or are you hoping if you slag our Mel off enough you'll get the golden ticket to Moor farm :)

in recruitment, people have to be able to somehow display that they possess the skill set required. We are in too an important phase in the NEXT CHAPTER to have people learning the basics whilst in the job.

I disagree there's a lack of experience in coaching. But even so, what does experience have to do with philosophy and continuity of that philosophy?

I don't understand. 

find the thread about visiting Mel Morris. 

For me, Clement has to have people in there he knows he can trust and knows their work ethic. I think we will find that Clement and Zuber were together at some point (possibly Fulham?) and Clement will know his traits. 

Clement may have watched the last ten games of the season and seen Grant and his mistakes and challenged Steele over it. They may have disagreed with each other. Steele may have wanted a bigger say in team affairs, and Clement knocked this back. There is a whole host of things that could have gone on.

I am all in favour of Clement having his team, his people. He won't have plucked either coach out of thin air. There will be reasoning behind both of them and I think we have a good mix going into the season. I'm excited, and will be further excited with some of the signings I think we will make over the next few weeks.

I criticised the U21's coach sackings and the Steele departure. I'm happier having seen Wass's interview and understanding that side of it more. Don't get the Steele thing one bit, but if that's what PC wants then good luck to him and Zubs.

I think people are making to much about a goalkeeper coach effecting the players performance. Many great keepers Lots of different coaches yet they played the same and they were still great keepers. Grants errors were down to his ability and decision making. 

I think totally the opposite. 

I can't believe it to be coincidence that all of our 'keepers regressed under Martin Taylor. It was all the same problems as well; kicking being one for example.  

On that note, Sam Rush seems takes maintaining eye contact with your interviewer to previously unseen levels, I'm not sure I've ever seen him blink on-camera.

It's impressive, but I find it ever so slightly disturbing

:blink:

big-train.gif

Big Train bowdown.gif.pagespeed.ce.PKqybR2Dbe.gif

Archived