Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh in team of the year is based on the votes of players who would have seen him play twice against them.

So most players will have played against the other top defenders in the league and thought, in those 2 games against Derby, I had a more difficult time up against Keogh than I did against any other defender over the 2 games against other teams last season

I still mentioned Pearce. Unless something's wrong with Keogh Pearce should not be getting in ahead of him and I don't really understand where the notion that a player we signed on a free from a lower-half side would move ahead of a CB who was in the Championship team of the year came from.

He might well be ahead of Keogh come the start of the season, but if he is I'll maintain it's because something's wrong with Keogh. Either mentally or physically.

Keogh is a clumsy defender at times to say the least. He cost us so many goals fist half of last season, granted 2nd half he was much improved but Pearce is still ahead in my book.

Pearce has the experience, aerial ability and physical presence all of which Keogh lacks...

Pearce and Shackell both seem to be similar players, I think we'll need the option of Keogh this season. I personally see Keogh and Shackell as the starting CB's, they fit together perfectly.

Keogh, a right-sided ball player who can get stuff moving from the back and recover with his 10 yard sprints.

Shackell, left-sided ball winner who can stop stuff moving into our goal and recover with a well timed tackle and clearance.

Pearce and Shackell both seem to be similar players, I think we'll need the option of Keogh this season. I personally see Keogh and Shackell as the starting CB's, they fit together perfectly.

Keogh, a right-sided ball player who can get stuff moving from the back and recover with his 10 yard sprints.

Shackell, left-sided ball winner who can stop stuff moving into our goal and recover with a well timed tackle and clearance.

I agree pearce and shackell are similar and they would be severely exposed to any pace which they are both not blessed with. Keogh although he had his faults has a bit of pace to get us out of trouble if required.

Hello. HELLO. Was it not being reported a few days back that initially Keogh was a makeweight in the Shackell deal? If so, does anyone seriously on here, irrespective of how good you think he is, think he is going to be one of our two centre backs come 8 August?

Why is everyone saying that Keogh has been stripped of captaincy? He might have said that he doesn't want to be captain anymore himself so that he can focus on his own game. 

if you're right, I'd be over impressed with the confused fella

Hello. HELLO. Was it not being reported a few days back that initially Keogh was a makeweight in the Shackell deal? If so, does anyone seriously on here, irrespective of how good you think he is, think he is going to be one of our two centre backs come 8 August?

This is precisely right. Regardless of what we think of Keogh, he's probably outgoing, or at the very best backup to Pearce and Shackell.

Not playing Keogh alongside Shackell would be a mistake. Anyone who thinks he's anything other than a good championship defender is simply wrong, Pearce has been bang average for multiple seasons and will be an asset for cover/rotation but not an upgrade at all. Also, as others have mentioned he's in a very similar mould to Shackell.

To get rid of him would be ridiculous unless a bid comes in we can't refuse. We don't NEED to sell, he's our 2nd best CB and has a skillset that is unique among defenders at the club, we would miss him hugely. We'd have to spend more than we've paid for Shackell to bring in a CB that's as good as Keogh or better.

If he does go, the next time an opposition striker is having a footrace with one of our CB's and burns them, remember you wanted him gone.

Not playing Keogh alongside Shackell would be a mistake. Anyone who thinks he's anything other than a good championship defender is simply wrong, Pearce has been bang average for multiple seasons and will be an asset for cover/rotation but not an upgrade at all. Also, as others have mentioned he's in a very similar mould to Shackell.

To get rid of him would be ridiculous unless a bid comes in we can't refuse. We don't NEED to sell, he's our 2nd best CB and has a skillset that is unique among defenders at the club, we would miss him hugely. We'd have to spend more than we've paid for Shackell to bring in a CB that's as good as Keogh or better.

If he does go, the next time an opposition striker is having a footrace with one of our CB's and burns them, remember you wanted him gone.

Despite the predictable error per game, that's a great post and it's hard to disagree. I'd hope that Shackell's leadership and experience at a higher level can allow Keogh to focus on his game and form a strong CB pairing. 

I'd love to know what Clement's first impressions are!

Being Irish, I remember it well when Keogh started in the 1-0 loss away to Scotland. Out of all of our players, he was the one with the dirtiest kit, simply because he would bomb up the right and send a dangerous ball in, and then charge all the ways back to challenge for the ball. He gave our country 110% and that performance stuck with me. He tried so hard to get an attack going and also to stop Scotland from scoring. In the end, they scored by a corner. Disappointing, but Keogh played so good and I just thought "If he played like this all the time for Derby he'd be an absolute monster". Unfortunately, I'm quite sure he was played right back in that game, so he wouldn't have the same freedom to bomb up the pitch when paying at centre back.

Being Irish, I remember it well when Keogh started in the 1-0 loss away to Scotland. Out of all of our players, he was the one with the dirtiest kit, simply because he would bomb up the right and send a dangerous ball in, and then charge all the ways back to challenge for the ball. He gave our country 110% and that performance stuck with me. He tried so hard to get an attack going and also to stop Scotland from scoring. In the end, they scored by a corner. Disappointing, but Keogh played so good and I just thought "If he played like this all the time for Derby he'd be an absolute monster". Unfortunately, I'm quite sure he was played right back in that game, so he wouldn't have the same freedom to bomb up the pitch when paying at centre back.

I think you might be missing a sheep.

I agree pearce and shackell are similar and they would be severely exposed to any pace which they are both not blessed with. Keogh although he had his faults has a bit of pace to get us out of trouble if required.

Ha Ha. They are both faster than Pearce, Albentosa, Whitbread and Bucko.  

Seems a bit strange Clement is playing him so much if they're trying to offload him. Both Sammon and Albentosa were withdrawn from the team when it looked like they were leaving. I know there's probably no deal in place yet for Keogh, but it would have made more sense for Pearce to get a long run out rather than Keogh if they are trying to get rid (Which I hope they aren't)

Archived