Uncle Arthur and all our yesterdays.

ramblur

I've just read the Memorandum of Association relating to when our company was set up,dated 13 August 1896. Amongst the aims were:-

"To promote the practice and play of football,cricket,baseball,lacrosse,lawn tennis,hockey,bowls,bicycle and tricycle riding,running,jumping,the physical training and development of the human frame,and other athletic sports,games and exercises of every description,and any other games,pastimes,sports,recreation,amusements or entertainments."

"To employ amateur football players,cricketers and other athletes and to hire,employ and pay professional football players,cricketers and other professional athletes,and also servants and workmen for attending to the ground or grounds."

The authorised nominal share capital was 5,000 at £1 each. Six guys each bought one share,but unfortunately it's all handwritten and I can barely make out their names. However,their occupations seem a bit more legible and would appear to be:-

Accounts Clerk,Solicitors Clerk,Grocer,Railway Clerk,Surgeon,Surgical Bandage Manufacture.

From typed information,the first president was The Honourable William Monk Jervis of Quarndon ,and the 2 vice presidents were :-

William Thomas Morley of Alvaston and Arthur Wilson of Ashbourne Road. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my uncle bought a house on Hillsway in Littleover which was once owned by the club, not sure what for. But when once cleaning out the attic, found loads of stuff relating to DCFC in the 20s and 30s. I wish I was as interested then as I was now, as I'd have made him save it. Instead he binned it all. It was all contracts and stuff.

my uncle bought a house on Hillsway in Littleover which was once owned by the club, not sure what for. But when once cleaning out the attic, found loads of stuff relating to DCFC in the 20s and 30s. I wish I was as interested then as I was now, as I'd have made him save it. Instead he binned it all. It was all contracts and stuff.

Probably worth a fortune:ph34r:

Made a mistake,there were 7 shareholders,including a draper. Managed to decipher 5 of them :-

John Dean,St Peter's Street  (the draper) - home address Duffield Road

George Stevens,106 Osmaston Road (Railway Clerk)

Charles Henry Taylor,112 Osmaston Road (Surgeon)

William Campion,North Parade (Accounts Clerk)

Arthur Frederick Longden,27 Hartington Street (Surgical Bandages)

If a woman getting naked on a sacred mountain can cause an earthquake, imagine what would happen if Ramblur was caught out with an error on a sacred forum

Rather be caught out with the woman tbf.

Made a mistake,there were 7 shareholders,including a draper. Managed to decipher 5 of them :-

It's interesting that a railway clerk and a surgeon lived very close to one another.

It is also amazing that a multipack of surgical bandages had the gumption to invest in a football club.  

My best effort at the other 2 shareholders is:-

Ernest Henry Pedley,33 Wilfred Street (Solicitors' Clerk)

Frederick Copestake,17 Friar Gate (Grocer)

The first board consisted of the president and vice presidents mentioned earlier,along with the following 9 others (3 of them shareholders):-

Samuel Bennett Junr. ,St Peter's Street

Arthur Brown ,Uttoxeter New Road

John Dean,St Peter's Street

Morgan Thomas Roberts ,Otter Street

John Ryley ,10 Wilmot Street

Robert James Smith ,Sale Street

George Stevens ,106 Osmaston Road

Charles Henry Taylor ,112 Osmaston Road

Thomas William Thompson ,Nottingham Road

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Bennett and i claim my seat on the board!

Only Gordons now accepted + £20m ,payable in first instance to me.

This thread hasn't had enough attention, thanks for sharing @ramblur!

We have too many sticky threads to do it but I'd love to have a thread with little odd bits of our history in it, and by little odd tidbits, I mean stuff before the Clough era. It's great that we had such a successful period in the 1970s but it means there's almost a century's worth of history before it which is largely ignored.

I've always wondered what the club keeps archived? There must be a fair bit, or else how would they keep track of records? Is there someone at the club who has access to all the information and records? Can imagine a lot of it went missing in the turbulent times of the late 70s/early-mid 80s.

I've just read the Memorandum of Association relating to when our company was set up,dated 13 August 1896. Amongst the aims were:-

"To promote the practice and play of football,cricket,baseball,lacrosse,lawn tennis,hockey,bowls,bicycle and tricycle riding,running,jumping,the physical training and development of the human frame,and other athletic sports,games and exercises of every description,and any other games,pastimes,sports,recreation,amusements or entertainments."

"To employ amateur football players,cricketers and other athletes and to hire,employ and pay professional football players,cricketers and other professional athletes,and also servants and workmen for attending to the ground or grounds."

The authorised nominal share capital was 5,000 at £1 each. Six guys each bought one share,but unfortunately it's all handwritten and I can barely make out their names. However,their occupations seem a bit more legible and would appear to be:-

Accounts Clerk,Solicitors Clerk,Grocer,Railway Clerk,Surgeon,Surgical Bandage Manufacture.

From typed information,the first president was The Honourable William Monk Jervis of Quarndon ,and the 2 vice presidents were :-

William Thomas Morley of Alvaston and Arthur Wilson of Ashbourne Road. 

I was born in Alvaston and now work on Ashbourne Road. Am I Mel Morris??? I sure love crushing candy :ph34r:

Great information!!! love the past, especially about the Rams, shall we have a pinned thread about the history of Derby County? research, experiences and interesting facts/statistics

I may have mislead over these 7 shareholders.This appears to be the first subscription for new shares.The Articles of Association state that directors must have a minimum holding of 10 shares.This indicates to me that any interests in the former company were probably converted into stock in the new limited company,but unfortunately there are no records of this in documents lodged at CH, so we don't know who owned what.Where I stated that board members included 3 shareholders,I should really have said ' included 3 shareholders that subscribed to new shares'.

My interest lay really in trying to find out who were our 'founding fathers'. In view of what I've just said,it seems likely to me that they were in fact the board members of the new company that I listed earlier,who must have been members of the earlier "unregistered association" known as Derby County Football Club.

It's interesting that a railway clerk and a surgeon lived very close to one another.

I noticed that as well -probably preparing the ground for Beeching cuts LOL.

I suppose we all associate surgeons with hospitals nowadays.I'm just wondering if the Osmaston Road address may have been some kind of business premises (how close is it to Rose Hill Street,LOL?),and that the surgeon lived elsewhere

I was born in Alvaston and now work on Ashbourne Road. Am I Mel Morris??? I sure love crushing candy :ph34r:

Great information!!! love the past, especially about the Rams, shall we have a pinned thread about the history of Derby County? research, experiences and interesting facts/statistics

Move to Osmaston Road and you can sort my hip out:D

I noticed that as well -probably preparing the ground for Beeching cuts LOL.

I suppose we all associate surgeons with hospitals nowadays.I'm just wondering if the Osmaston Road address may have been some kind of business premises (how close is it to Rose Hill Street,LOL?),and that the surgeon lived elsewhere

My knowledge onlyextends to about 1820, so it's a little out of my period, but a 'surgeon' was not necessarily a particularly prestigious title in the 18th/early 19th centuries. They tended to be blokes of limited training who lopped bits off people - many also offered haircuts and shaves. The real professionals were physicians, who were fully trained doctors. Some physicians practiced surgery so were occasionally referred to as a 'surgeon' and many proper doctors served as surgeons in the army or navy - so the water is a little muddy. It had probably changed by 1884 as the Crimean War caused such a moral outrage that the whole healthcare system was revised.

Clerk is also a very loose term. It can be a down-trodden shop assistant or a minor nobleman serving as a town clerk.

Archived