SIGNED: Chris Baird

Thierry Ennui

Chris Baird signing prediction  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're presuming that we are going to play the same 4-3-3 formation when we are not. Clement said that we are going to play a variety of different formations so 3 defensive midfielders will be needed

You've just criticised someone for presuming we will play 4-3-3, when you yourself are presuming we won't.

Yes Clement has said we'll have different formations, but we've played 4-3-3 for two seasons and it has clearly worked most of the time. We need more flexibility in tough games, but we also need familiarity for the formation to be successful. Clement will have an idea of our preferred formation and then alternative formations for the allusive Plan B, C, whatever. Would be foolish for him not to look at 4-3-3 when it's the one that served us so well other than 2 months of the 20 month McClaren reign.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think we will need another defensive mid because I don't think Thorne will play more than 15 games next season if you look at his injury record

There's nothing really to support the idea of Thorne not playing, he's had two injuries they may be bad ones but it's not like he's getting injured week in week out.  

We probably get somebody in on loan.

Have we even been linked to Bridcutt? Not sure where thats come from?

No we haven't linked with that player at all.

You've just criticised someone for presuming we will play 4-3-3, when you yourself are presuming we won't.

Yes Clement has said we'll have different formations, but we've played 4-3-3 for two seasons and it has clearly worked most of the time. We need more flexibility in tough games, but we also need familiarity for the formation to be successful. Clement will have an idea of our preferred formation and then alternative formations for the allusive Plan B, C, whatever. Would be foolish for him not to look at 4-3-3 when it's the one that served us so well other than 2 months of the 20 month McClaren reign.

It can be played in different ways 

This seems like a very good signing. Experienced cover in CDM as well as defense, could be ideal player for Hanson, Christie, even Thorne to learn more from. Has looked a very good player most of when I've seen him but I must admit the performance that sticks in my mind was at pride park 2007 so not exactly recent!!

Like people have said not a massively exiting signing but he's a free transfer in as cover, unless you're Man U or Chelsea or someone you're back up signings aren't supposed to be exciting! 

Very solid signing this. Very good pro, and I know him through contacts and once meeting him to be a top top bloke.  He will be perfect in respect of taking up where Eustace left off, and he will be very good helping players like Hanson and Rawson along. Anyone underwhelmed should reserve judgment.

You're presuming that we are going to play the same 4-3-3 formation when we are not. Clement said that we are going to play a variety of different formations so 3 defensive midfielders will be needed

Even if we play different formations, it's very unlikely IMO that we play 2 out and out holding midfielders.  If anything, it'll be one with someone like Hughes next to him.

There's nothing really to support the idea of Thorne not playing, he's had two injuries they may be bad ones but it's not like he's getting injured week in week out.  

I'm still not convinced. He has only ever played 48 league games in 6 years which is an awful record. No denying his talent but i still think that we should sign another defensive mid

Even if we play different formations, it's very unlikely IMO that we play 2 out and out holding midfielders.  If anything, it'll be one with someone like Hughes next to him.

I believe the opposite. I think in the physically tough away games and perhaps away games in general we will play Thorne(if fit) + another defensive midfielder to add physicality into the midfield and move Hughes further forward. We will then end up with something like this 

Thorne  Another defensive mid

Ince.       Hughes.   Weimann

Martin

No shame in doing it,Mourinho did it with chelsea as he played mikel +matic as the defensive mids and moved fabregas forward

It showed last season how important real experience is in the middle. It's no surprise why Eustace was so important. We've got a player who is two years younger and with experience at a much higher level than Eustace. Baird has spent most of his career in the PL and he's not a ******* headcase. Could prove to be a very important signing. Experience is invaluable to any side after promotion, of all Billy's signings for us when we went up I thought Big Dave was the most important. We're starting to look very strong indeed.

**Baird has spent most of his career in the PL and he's not a ******* headcase - not saying Eustace is a headcase, it was in reference to other options we could have gone for that have been mentioned on the forum.

Archived