Ryan Tunnicliffe banned by FA for Patrick Bamford tweet

Shaftesbury Street

"Fulham midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe has been banned for two games for a derogatory comment on Twitter about Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford's sexuality.

The 22-year-old admitted a Football Association charge of aggravated misconduct by reference to sexual orientation.

The former Manchester United youth team player will miss the first two games of next season and was fined £5,000.

He must attend an education course.

Tunnicliffe's comments were made after Middlesbrough lost to Norwichin the Championship play-off final in May. Bamford was on loan at Riverside Stadium last season.

The Tweet was subsequently deleted.

Bamford, 21, scored 17 goals last season and was named Championship Player of the Year for 2014-15.

Tunnicliffe, meanwhile, moved from Old Trafford to Fulham in January 2014.

Rio Ferdinand was fined £25,000 and suspended for three games in October for comments he made on Twitter.

His misconduct charge was believed to have been related to his use of the word "sket" - meaning 'a promiscuous girl or woman'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33101482

I get the feeling Bamford isn't the most likable character in the championship.

Anyone know what it said? I've seen this, but don't think its the same.

29628E2D00000578-0-image-a-20_1433524715

"Sausage boy"  :lol:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I'm not keen on the idea that the FA can send players off for re-education if they don't toe the line Tunnicliffe sounds like a grade A wazzock. Some of his other tweets suggest that he thinks he's something special because he sat on Man United's bench a few times. Apparently Fulham fans think he's crap anyway and would quite like their club to use this as an opportunity to cancel his contract.

What was the other stupid one during the season? Was it something Huth or someone said? 

I don't think the FA should be in charge of what footballers can and can't say. Footballers should be responsible for what they say. This isn't North Korea. I'm sure if people want to let him know what they think of his comments then they will do. 

The whole "footballers are role models" thing is daft anyway. If you want to play football or your kids want to play football for a living then sound. But if you want to be just like Wayne Rooney in every possible way... pond life. 

"Sausage boy"... jesus christ. 

What a terrible example he's setting for my kids. I try to raise them right and now they're out burning gay people. 

Imagine if Bamford had responded with "banana head". It'd be just like Norman Hunter v Franny Lee all over again

Sausage boy?  He is a good banger in of goals to be fair. That Tunnicliffe seems a brat wurst than any homophobe I have come across. Anyway, I think we should support young Paddy, and I recommend that we should all get behind him.

The irony is that the only way you'd take offence from that is if you were actually gay. So either Paddy takes offence, and is gay, or he doesn't take offence. Surely it's not the FA's job to dish out punishments based on the feigned outrage of the public, but based on whether a fellow professional decides to raise a complaint.

If I said something to a colleague, it would be for that colleague to raise a complaint, but he'd more likely just take it as banks, if I'd judged the situation correctly.

Yeah, I hate private school *******, think they're so great because their parents invested in their future. If I ever meet one, I just punch them straight in the face.

I look forward to meeting you.

The irony is that the only way you'd take offence from that is if you were actually gay. So either Paddy takes offence, and is gay, or he doesn't take offence. Surely it's not the FA's job to dish out punishments based on the feigned outrage of the public, but based on whether a fellow professional decides to raise a complaint.

If I said something to a colleague, it would be for that colleague to raise a complaint, but he'd more likely just take it as banks, if I'd judged the situation correctly.

Bamford isn't a colleague though. It would be like you posting a message on social media that you're glad one of your competitors didn't win a certain contract because he's a "sausage boy". In most cases that would be viewed as unprofessional at best.

What really surprises me is that anyone in the public eye would still think it acceptable to post anything even vaguely controversial on twitter (unless you're Katie Hopkins or one of the handful of "famous" people who are famous for being controversial on twitter of course)

Granted there is circumstantial evidence like his hair, the way he runs and the fact he went to public school

But on the other hand - it's none of our business, and it absolutely doesn't matter.

I think the none of our business line should be taken with people who post things on Twitter. 

Being made to go to diversity classes or whatever? Jesus wept. My problem with gay mincers isn't that they're gay it's that they're mincers. I could be wrong but I suspect Tunnicliffe probably thinks similar

Bamford isn't a colleague though. It would be like you posting a message on social media that you're glad one of your competitors didn't win a certain contract because he's a "sausage boy". In most cases that would be viewed as unprofessional at best.

not saying tunicliffe isn't a dick, but the point is, it's Bamford's job to complain if he takes offense, not the FA's job to take offense on his behalf. 

What was the other stupid one during the season? Was it something Huth or someone said? 

I don't think the FA should be in charge of what footballers can and can't say. Footballers should be responsible for what they say. This isn't North Korea. I'm sure if people want to let him know what they think of his comments then they will do. 

The whole "footballers are role models" thing is daft anyway. If you want to play football or your kids want to play football for a living then sound. But if you want to be just like Wayne Rooney in every possible way... pond life. 

"Sausage boy"... jesus christ. 

What a terrible example he's setting for my kids. I try to raise them right and now they're out burning gay people. 

Imagine if Bamford had responded with "banana head". It'd be just like Norman Hunter v Franny Lee all over again

Huth (I think) took part in the twitter game where you have to guess whether a lady is really a man or not. I believe he did rather well at it. 

My problem with gay mincers isn't that they're gay it's that they're mincers. I could be wrong but I suspect Tunnicliffe probably thinks similar

You mean you don't like the way they walk specifically - or you mean you don't like the way that some gay people adhere rigidly to stereotype?

You mean you don't like the way they walk specifically - or you mean you don't like the way that some gay people adhere rigidly to stereotype?

Both I guess. I don't much care for overly macho men nor do I take kindly to Barbie doll women. In the spirit of equality I apply the same principle to gays, although they tend to exaggerate the opposite gender stereotypes for some bizarre reason. 

People generally except that being gay isn't a choice. Gay men often do choose to be camp though and I reserve the right to stand in judgement of people over the choices they make.

Huth (I think) took part in the twitter game where you have to guess whether a lady is really a man or not. I believe he did rather well at it. 

What they did to Huth was ridiculous. How can they even know his intentions in playing the game? If Huth wasn't worried about getting a reputation he could take the FA to task for being trans-phobic because they essentially banned him for looking at pictures of trannies.

Archived