people moaning

simsdcfc

​Didn't Ted McDougall have a great scoring record. Must be in his late sixties or seventies by now though so probably wouldn't cost a great deal.

​Scored 9 in a game against Margate. He couldn't quite cut it at the top level - was in and out of Manchester United quicker than a quick in and out thing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think some people took pride in the hard way we've done things. Using our youth academy and trying to pick out gems and bargains. This sale funding that buy. Our collection of SPL gambles, lower league gems and youth players competing with this club or that club who are offering big wages to big egos and been there/done that 'names'. 

Then there's people who say at some point you have to drop this small time mentality if you want to compete at the top. At some level the lower league gems and scavenging runs in the SPL won't be good enough. At some point to compete with the best on the pitch you have to compete with them off the pitch. Do you want Tom Ince or do you want Ted McDougall from Inverness? There's a reason one is expensive and one is cheap. Obviously though you can grow your own £6m player. Eventually...

You can see both sides. 

Ted McDougall. Football. Small boys. Jumpers for goal posts. Look out Margate here comes a 9th. Marvellous.

​Scored 9 in a game against Margate. He couldn't quite cut it at the top level - was in and out of Manchester United quicker than a quick in and out thing.

To be fair Eddie, I don't think anyone played under Tommy Doc for longer than 3 months before he wanted to buy a replacement.

To be fair Eddie, I don't think anyone played under Tommy Doc for longer than 3 months before he wanted to buy a replacement.

​I think it was in Frank O'Farrell's day, but I could be wrong.

​Just maintaining philosophical consistency. How many people, who are now content to wave away a fee of 6 million as "it's the chairman's money, he can do what he wants with it", were up in arms or at the very least making snide remarks about QPR and Forest trying to "buy promotion"?

That's not to say I'm not grateful that we finally have a chairman who is willing to stump up some cash and we can sign a great talent like Ince, but I'd still rather build success than buy it.

Class of 92 !

The fee won't be  £6mil over exaggerated paper talk ! Sun as usual ! Like clement was going to be on £3 mil a year ??? !! 

I think its finding the correct mixture of promoting youth ! Finding good free/out of contract players and spending wisely were you have too ! And i think as a  club that looks like the approach were taking again ! Bent and pearce frees ! Promising player's coming through max lowe for example ! And potentially young quality additions being made to the squad ! Ince / weimann ! 

What's there even to moan about there ??? 

Heading in the right direction  COYR ! 

​I think it was in Frank O'Farrell's day, but I could be wrong.

Started out at Liverpool under Shanks but never got a look in. 

I think he played for both managers at Man Utd Eddie.. I'm sure he was in the team that got promoted back up to Div 1 in 75. 

Man Utd in Div 2... Wonder who won the League Championship that year then... 

​Whilst playing for Bournemouth. Who says they don't have history and are a jumped-up johnny-come-lately shower funded by shady russions and fronted by a grinning gob even wider than Tony Blair's......:ph34r: 

If we got Ince for the (not so widely reported) £3m-ish then I reckon it'll turn out to be a real bargain.  He's quality in this league and providing he's played in a system that suits him, he'll flourish in the Prem.  He stopped getting games at Hull when Bruce switched back to 3-5-2, a wing back he aint...

I thought I'd made Ted McDougall up!!

​No, it's an old joke.

Name three flowers who played for Manchester United….

Jackie Blanchflower

Dennis Violett

Ted MacDougall

Started out at Liverpool under Shanks but never got a look in. 

I think he played for both managers at Man Utd Eddie.. I'm sure he was in the team that got promoted back up to Div 1 in 75. 

Man Utd in Div 2... Wonder who won the League Championship that year then... 

​As Max Boyce said...

"I know - cos I was there"

Archived