people moaning

simsdcfc

Seen alot of people moaning about £6 mil for ince ? Saying we shouldnt spend that much on a player etc .... if you want to be in the big time u spend the money ... speculate to acumalate n all

If morris wants to splash the cash let him who gives a toss about ffp its a joke anyway ... as qpr and forest know

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen alot of people moaning about £6 mil for ince ? Saying we shouldnt spend that much on a player etc .... if you want to be in the big time u spend the money ... speculate to acumalate n all

If morris wants to splash the cash let him who gives a toss about ffp its a joke anyway ... as qpr and forest know

​Just maintaining philosophical consistency. How many people, who are now content to wave away a fee of 6 million as "it's the chairman's money, he can do what he wants with it", were up in arms or at the very least making snide remarks about QPR and Forest trying to "buy promotion"?

That's not to say I'm not grateful that we finally have a chairman who is willing to stump up some cash and we can sign a great talent like Ince, but I'd still rather build success than buy it.

​Just maintaining philosophical consistency. How many people, who are now content to wave away a fee of 6 million as "it's the chairman's money, he can do what he wants with it", were up in arms or at the very least making snide remarks about QPR and Forest trying to "buy promotion"?

That's not to say I'm not grateful that we finally have a chairman who is willing to stump up some cash and we can sign a great talent like Ince, but I'd still rather build success than buy it.

How many teams have done that nowadays. 

So your saying you expect to become an established prem team built on freebies and cheap players ? 

I think we should splash the cash , but splash it wisely not like qpr and forest 

Think some people took pride in the hard way we've done things. Using our youth academy and trying to pick out gems and bargains. This sale funding that buy. Our collection of SPL gambles, lower league gems and youth players competing with this club or that club who are offering big wages to big egos and been there/done that 'names'. 

Then there's people who say at some point you have to drop this small time mentality if you want to compete at the top. At some level the lower league gems and scavenging runs in the SPL won't be good enough. At some point to compete with the best on the pitch you have to compete with them off the pitch. Do you want Tom Ince or do you want Ted McDougall from Inverness? There's a reason one is expensive and one is cheap. Obviously though you can grow your own £6m player. Eventually...

You can see both sides. 

How many teams have done that nowadays. 

​We came withing a gnat's left testicle of doing it. I was incredibly proud of the team built by Clough that McClaren improved and took to the play off final.

I get where you're coming from Anon but maybe we'd heard one of our rivals for promotion next season were in for him, do you stick to your principles and let a rival strengthen their chances ?

​It depends on the player and the fee. We were meant to be in for McCormack last summer, but wisely stepped away when the price got ridiculous, even though he was (in theory) going to strengthen one of our rivals.

So your saying you expect to become an established prem team built on freebies and cheap players ? 

I think we should splash the cash , but splash it wisely not like qpr and forest 

​It can be done (Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea etc...) and I believe it's a much more worthy achievement than getting promoted via splashing the cash.

Having said that, I will freely admit to being an idealist when it comes to football and I do understand that having money to spend increases our chances significantly. I also realise that idealism is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree.

Can see both sides of this. Think I still like the idea of building a team from our own youth players.

However, our first 4 signings of the summer could be Bent, Pearce, Ince and Weimann. Damn impressive and thankfully not a load of old journeyman footballers. Excited to see what Clement comes up with.

The thing is Anon, only Swansea out of the examples you give are established in The Premier League. I love your ideal and if we could achieve Premier League security how we'd like, it would be on a par with a cup win (well nearly) The big bucks come in next year and I suppose the board want a slice of it so maybe they are speculating to accumulate.

Brave with an untested manager I'll grant you, but before a ball has even been kicked, let's enjoy what the board are planning without too much scrutiny, I believe they are clever men with the club's interests foremost.

Think some people took pride in the hard way we've done things. Using our youth academy and trying to pick out gems and bargains. This sale funding that buy. Our collection of SPL gambles, lower league gems and youth players competing with this club or that club who are offering big wages to big egos and been there/done that 'names'. 

Then there's people who say at some point you have to drop this small time mentality if you want to compete at the top. At some level the lower league gems and scavenging runs in the SPL won't be good enough. At some point to compete with the best on the pitch you have to compete with them off the pitch. Do you want Tom Ince or do you want Ted McDougall from Inverness? There's a reason one is expensive and one is cheap. Obviously though you can grow your own £6m player. Eventually...

You can see both sides. 

​Didn't Ted McDougall have a great scoring record. Must be in his late sixties or seventies by now though so probably wouldn't cost a great deal.

We need promotion and it's up to Mel Morris, Sam Rush, Chris Evans and Paul Clement to deliver.

Big money transfers, freebies from the lower leagues - doesn't matter to me. Only two things do, can we afford it, and will they win. If the answer is yes to both great, if it's no to either we've got it wrong.

Archived