Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boro just signed a 31 year old in Downing for £5m rising to £7m when promoted with ridiculous wages for the Championship. Russell not only has the best to come, he will also by one of the top rated players for his position in the Champ next season. I think Weimann was a once in a blue moon signing. Ince too in fact, We would be lucky to bring in someone of Russell's quality ready for action for anything less than £5m. 

Boro just signed a 31 year old in Downing for £5m rising to £7m when promoted with ridiculous wages for the Championship. Russell not only has the best to come, he will also by one of the top rated players for his position in the Champ next season. I think Weimann was a once in a blue moon signing. Ince too in fact, We would be lucky to bring in someone of Russell's quality ready for action for anything less than £5m. 

I like Russell and think we would be making a mistake to let him go but for the life of me I can't see how anyone can justify a possible price tag of £5m based on his performances since he joined us. £5m is ludicrous

Agreed! Russell is very good, is willing to fight for a place amongst the others and has been one of the better performers throughout pre season!

Agreed! Russell is very good, is willing to fight for a place amongst the others and has been one of the better performers throughout pre season!

Best of a poor bunch against Grimsby and Northampton means nothing but that's not to say he won't be one of our better players once we start playing for real

Terry Phillips, he reckons a club source has told him that we would be willing to sell for £2.5 million, which is double what Cardiff had originally offered, hence the speculation of the clubs being miles apart in the valuation.

Can you link the article or tweet where he says this please?

I like Russell and think we would be making a mistake to let him go but for the life of me I can't see how anyone can justify a possible price tag of £5m based on his performances since he joined us. £5m is ludicrous

I don't think he has a price tag like that. But if we were to go out now and try and find someone like Russell who we wouldn't have to break in, who another side did not want to or have to sell we would be lucky to find someone for £5m. In other circumstances I would say £2.5m is a very good fee. But in terms of what we can get for that and what is available, it isn't. 

I don't think he has a price tag like that. But if we were to go out now and try and find someone like Russell who we wouldn't have to break in, who another side did not want to or have to sell we would be lucky to find someone for £5m. In other circumstances I would say £2.5m is a very good fee. But in terms of what we can get for that and what is available, it isn't. 

Think you're looking at the overinflated British market. No way is Russell worth anywhere near 5m, and look a little beyond England and you can find very good players for much less than that.

In fact, even in England there are cheap deals to be had for good players. QPR have brought in one of the better DMs outside the Premier League in Luongo for less than 5m.

If you're prepared to look a little harder, better, cheaper players are to be had. We found that during George Burley's reign.

You surely have to think of the dressing room as well. He seems to be one of the guys who has a laugh and gets the morale going. What if he goes and the dressing room spirals, morale drops as will the performances.

It's a possibility.

Just a thought.

Archived