Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

That's a fair point actually.

I was assuming that the club want him to stay based on Clement's comments on him...

I think we probably do but it becomes a bit of an awkward situation for Johnny if the club think they can do better for the money but he would rather stay. Can't see that happening though as I don't think Cardiff will go anywhere near the valuation.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a different story though when we've accepted an offer. I wouldn't want to stay if the club were happy for me to go. Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be going to Cardiff either.

We're probably not going to just accept an offer without Russell knowing though.  If we get an offer that's anywhere near our valuation, we'll almost certainly let Russell (and/or his agent) know that an offer has been made and would he actually be interested in going there.  If he does want to go, we'll try and thrash out a fee both clubs are happy with.  And if he's not interested we'll tell Cardiff to get lost.

I can't see him going whilst we're still in the Championship. He brings so much to the time offensively and defensively and it'd cost more than 2.5 to replace.

Yes we have a few options but as last season shows you can never have too many options and I think the board realise that. Maybe they'll just string Cardiff on to slow up their recruitment!

I can't see him going whilst we're still in the Championship. He brings so much to the time offensively and defensively and it'd cost more than 2.5 to replace.

Not sure that is true.  Why not get a loan signing to replace him? I am not saying Ibe, but somebody 'Ibe like'. As JW said earlier, for £2.5m he can piggy back him down there and I will chip in to pay the bridge toll at Chepstow.

Johnny Russell is a Ram and should stay a Ram until it suits us and him to part company. Why would he want to go to Cardiff (or any other Championship team which won't be challenging for promotion this season)? He is good enough and honest enough to stay here and play for his place. Tell Cardiff to sod off. I want to see him turn out for us against Bolton in 3 weeks time.

That's a different story though when we've accepted an offer. I wouldn't want to stay if the club were happy for me to go. Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be going to Cardiff either.

What if someone offered more than your value and the club say they don't want you to go but the offer was too good to say no to, like Hulse a few years ago, would you still want to go?

What if someone offered more than your value and the club say they don't want you to go but the offer was too good to say no to, like Hulse a few years ago, would you still want to go?

If the destination was Middlesbrough, absolutely not. Depends on the scenario really. Sometimes I'd want to go, other times not.

Which is just awful tactics if that is the case. You don't take someone who had the season he did and then say now play deeper for this season. Especially when we play a damn DM. 

I told yous all that last season and was ridiculed , when I post something listen to me ! ?

With the current valuation of players rising I'd like to see us add maybe another 500k or so to the 2.5million he's apparently valued at.

I just want to add that I think the whole thing is hyped up journalism. I can't see us wanting to get rid of one of our better players. 

He's a strange one is Johnny, loved by the fans (including me) because of his workrate, passion and effort but when you break it down he had an injury hit first season with the highlight of the goal versus Forest.  Then second season he had a long spell where he was as good a player as anyone in the division followed by a spell after his injury where he wouldn't have got in Forest's side.

I like him but unless he is going to be first choice for Clement we may as well take the money and reinvest.

ps I love the fact the url when you are viewing this page says johnny russell £25m to Cardiff!

What seasons Derby, Johnny Russell and Cardiff would need to make that true!

I reckon we should hold out for 30.

Archived