Women's World Cup

eustonstation

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm finding it quite watchable if I'm honest. I'm looking forward to the later rounds.

I'd say it's roughly equivalent to U21 internationals. The speed and physicality isn't there but it's enjoyable enough.

Plus England ladies have won more world cup games and scored more goals than England men in the last world cup.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot in the past but I suspect some of the lack of physicality has to do with the turf pitches. No real grass in any of the stadiums where it's being played this year (which really shouldn't be allowed).

Besides the obvious rug burn potential, it's apparently as hot as hell. First game in Edmonton, the air temperature was in the low 20s but the pitch was in the 40s!

Teams appear weirdly racially stereotypical, with big muscular powerful German girls, quite lanky Nordics and largely diddy little Asian/African/south americans.

I'm enjoying it - there appears less cynical play acting. Though how France didn't get a penalty where the defender swatted both the ball up in the air and the forward in the face with a straight arm is baffling. Good heart-warming story about our little lass Fran Kirby. Hope she does well.

England look to be going through. :)

Well done the Lionesses!

And our new Head Coach/Team Manager seems to have a bit about him. 3 games in and he's used all the outfield players and varied tactics to suit what he sees.

Some parallels with the mens tournaments in that half our squad seem to be crocks or recovering crocks, the player that gets bigged up one match has a mare the next, we bring in players with "experience" (invariably of losing) rather than form.

They play Norway on Monday. Apparently, the team were saying England have yet to win a knockout match in the Women's World Cup.

Archived