Women's World Cup

eustonstation

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two cracking games yesterday in Sweden vs Nigeria and Australia vs USA.

England vs France tonight could be interesting depending on the lineup the manager picks (he makes some very questionable decisions). France definitely one of the favourites for the tournament, so I'm excited to see how we match up. 

For those who don't watch much women's football but will follow England - look out for Lucy Bronze at RB, Fran Kirby up front, two very exciting, young players. 

Fara Williams is England's most capped player ever, male or female, don't be surprised to see her adding to those caps and shooting from range!

My lineup would be (though I don't expect the manager's to be anything similar):

Telford

Bronze - Houghton - Bassett - Greenwood

Moore - Potter

Carney

Aluko - White - Kirby

ps. there are 4 Notts County players in the England squad, who are obviously the closest FAWSL team to us - Ellen White, Carly Telford, Laura Bassett, Alex Greenwood. Get out and watch a game some time after the world cup finishes, they're very good. 

I would look for one of those oh-so-witty "looking for a **** to give" type gifs, but I couldn't be arsed. That's how little of a **** I give about women's football.

The quality is much better than when I've seen women's football in the past (some can even put their foot through the ball now) but the goalkeeping is still atrocious. 

Shambolic from Bardsley. Worst part is, we have at least 2 better keepers, yet she's still being used as our #1. 

I watched a little bit and I quite like it. No diving, good tactics and players are really enthusiastic about everything what happens.. Actually I've already watched it more than PL or any other top leagues last year.

Just had a look through some of the highlights - And we complain about our standard of refereeing?

New Zealand had a clear penalty brushed away, Canada's was so soft and Ecuador had a player sent off plus three penalties given against them - all of them ridiculously soft.

I guess in the women's game the physical aspect isn't there, so any half challenge and a player goes down might appear like a foul when it really isn't.

Echo what somebody said about the goalkeeping. It's atrocious. At least it makes for more goal-scoring games though.

I'm getting sick of hearing sexist remarks about the women's game, just because they're sometimes young blondes etc.

i watched a bit, and the footy was ok, not great, but one thing I did notice, one or too looked very cold.

Archived