Has chris evans got off lightly?

RamNut

Since schteve took the rap for everything, has chris evans escaped his share of criticism?

the first team signings last year were far from convincing.

cyrus christie, ryan shotton, raul albentosa, stephen warnock....

even the loan signings were mixed 

and who can forget leon best.

not a great record is it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The signings of Darren Bent, Tom Ince and Jordon Ibe on loan and George Thorne on a permanent would suggest he's done alright; 4 excellent players we wouldn't have had a chance of signing before Evans came in.

Also, why does everyone have to be criticised or blamed?

We under-achieved last season but it's done now and therefore counter-productive to still be trying to pin the blame on someone. Get over it!

McClaren had the final say, Evans said he has a list of players for each position, they may have been 6th, 7th on his list and Mac chose them. Or you are right and they were the best on the list and left Mac with no choice but to get them.

The signings of Darren Bent, Tom Ince and Jordon Ibe on loan and George Thorne on a permanent would suggest he's done alright; 4 excellent players we wouldn't have had a chance of signing before Evans came in.

Also, why does everyone have to be criticised or blamed?

We under-achieved last season but it's done now and therefore counter-productive to still be trying to pin the blame on someone. Get over it!

as usual .....you spout shiite.

The thought had occurred to me. How much scouting did Darren Bent and Tom Ince require? We all know who they are. He should be judged on his signings that have come out of nowhere - the players that are available for cheap like Christie or the players from abroad like Albentosa. That's where Chris Evans should be earning his money. And like you say, his record so far in that regard hasn't been great.

Christie - was on course to be in with a shout for our player of the season after the first few months and then was drained of all confidence, not really Chris Evans' fault

Ryan Shotton - Decent backup who can cover a few positions. We had a try before you buy and I'm guessing McClaren gave the word to buy him, so again, hardly Evans' fault

Albentosa - Struggled to adapt but at the time looked like he could be an incredible signing. Was one of the better defenders in La Liga and we beat a bunch of other clubs to sign him, still plenty of time for him to come good

Warnock + Best - Yeah, I don't have a clue what he was thinking :lol:

Christie - was on course to be in with a shout for our player of the season after the first few months and then was drained of all confidence, not really Chris Evans' fault

Seem to recall some post pertaining to come from Coventry not long after he arrived saying he will be good from the outset  

but after a few months he would start to coast in games and his form would drop , about right  .​

as usual .....you spout shiite.

​No counter argument or reasoned response?

Okay then, resort to petty insults.

Just because I put across a view that contrasts with your decidedly negative views ie. dropping Grant, attempts to blame everyone etc, you feel the need to respond in that manner...

Christie is young and in my opinion has the potential to be a very good player, too much was expected of him last season and the pressure got to him and his confidence fell like a led balloon. Shotton is good cover, as is Warnock. None of them are disastrous signings, quite the opposite. 

Maybe in your response to this you'd like to put across an opposing view rather than spouting abuse, if that's not too much to ask?

I wouldn't say Christie, Warnock or Shotton were bad signings. Christie showed a lot of promise before struggling a bit and, as usual, McClaren couldn't stop the decline in his performances. Shotton and Warnock are decent role players who were called upon a bit too often for my liking because of injuries.

Best is inexcusable though. Terrible player.

However, it's important to look at the good signings Evans has made - Thorne, Bent, Ince and Ibe were all excellent buys without breaking the bank. So no, I don't think he's got off lightly. He deserves to keep his job.

I already knew about all but one (Albentosa) of our signings since Evans came in.

Surely that's not a good thing? 

A lot of our signings don't really seem to suit us either. 

We're more efficient at clinching signatures now but in terms of finding gems, we're a lot worse. 

Your wish is my command, you tight-fisted Yorkie pillock

However, it's important to look at the good signings Evans has made - Thorne, Bent, Ince and Ibe were all excellent buys without breaking the bank. So no, I don't think he's got off lightly. He deserves to keep his job.

​We were watching Thorne before Evans came in. 

Just because I put across a view that contrasts with your decidedly negative views ie. dropping Grant, attempts to blame everyone etc, you feel the need to respond in that manner...

Christie is young and in my opinion has the potential to be a very good player, too much was expected of him last season and the pressure got to him and his confidence fell like a led balloon. Shotton is good cover, as is Warnock. None of them are disastrous signings, quite the opposite. 

Maybe in your response to this you'd like to put across an opposing view rather than spouting abuse, if that's not too much to ask?

Ok reasoned response....(you were the one using exclamation marks)

last season one goal was the difference between finishing 5th and 8th.

you have an opinion on grant. I have an opinion on grant.

For me - his unbelievable series of howlers cost us goals, and ultimately - it could be argued- therefore cost mclaren, simpson and steele their jobs (we'll see). I cannot imagine certain other managers in our past history, failing to act regarding the form of the keeper. I have no axe to grind. I'd be delighted if grant was a good keeper. Unfortunately he went to pieces, and i think there are basic error in his technique. His decisions to paw at crosses and parry and punch cause problems and yet it was allowed to carry on week after week.

christie - i hope he comes back strong - hehas got great anility going forward  but it is fair comment when others suggest that he is not a natural defender.

defence has been the problem, and i agree with sage regarding his assessment. 

Recruitment is ultimately what matters, and it is fair to ask whether chris evans - who has no other responsibilities - has a good eye or not.

i think StringerBell makes a great point too in his assessment.

so...No need for hysterics everytime a question is asked. Its a fair question.

I read an article about Liverpool the other week, arguing that unless you buy at the very top of the market (a la Chelsea etc.) your buys will inevitably be hit and miss.  Interesting point of view.

One thing I'd say about Clough, he really had an eye for a defender. There were plenty of poor buys in other positions, but when it came to defenders, I don't think he put a foot wrong: Brayford, Barker, Keogh, Shackell, Buxton, Forsyth.

Ok reasoned response....(you were the one using exclamation marks)

last season one goal was the difference between finishing 5th and 8th.

you have an opinion on grant. I have an opinion on grant.

For me - his unbelievable series of howlers cost us goals, and ultimately - it could be argued- therefore cost mclaren, simpson and steele their jobs (we'll see). I cannot imagine certain other managers in our past history, failing to act regarding the form of the keeper. I have no axe to grind. I'd be delighted if grant was a good keeper. Unfortunately he went to pieces, and i think there are basic error in his technique. His decisions to paw at crosses and parry and punch cause problems and yet it was allowed to carry on week after week.

christie - i hope he comes back strong - hehas got great anility going forward  but it is fair comment when others suggest that he is not a natural defender.

defence has been the problem, and i agree with sage regarding his assessment. 

Recruitment is ultimately what matters, and it is fair to ask whether chris evans - who has no other responsibilities - has a good eye or not.

i think StringerBell makes a great point too in his assessment.

so...No need for hysterics everytime a question is asked. Its a fair question.

​An exclamation mark doesn't necessarily indicate hysterics, I don't tend to use them sparingly...

I agree that the defence is an issue but in regards to recruitment, surely you're fairly content with the rumoured players we're interested in? Many of them are PL calibre and would add real quality to our squad.

With the right coaching, Christie could be excellent for us. Forsyth was a winger when he came to us but has quickly transformed to one of the best full-backs in the league when he is on-form.

Grant, we'll have to agree to disagree. When the defence was looking as brittle as it was, even Neuer would have been struggling not to concede any goals!

I read an article about Liverpool the other week, arguing that unless you buy at the very top of the market (a la Chelsea etc.) your buys will inevitably be hit and miss.  Interesting point of view.

One thing I'd say about Clough, he really had an eye for a defender. There were plenty of poor buys in other positions, but when it came to defenders, I don't think he put a foot wrong: Brayford, Barker, Keogh, Shackell, Buxton, Forsyth.

​In the Clough years we conceded...

2008-09:    67

2009-10     63

2010-11     71

2011-12     58

2012-13     62

In the post-Clough years we conceded...

2013-14     52

2014-15     56

So despite Clough's eye for a defender, we conceded more when he was in charge.

Archived