Kenny Burns article on McClaren and Clough

Curtains

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can imagine it now. 'Boss we're not getting many views in the sports section' 'Write some **** about Derby get them worked up and we'll get 200x more views on the page?' 'Brilliant idea I'm on it now!'

Worked a treat at least someone copied and paste the content so they don't get our much wanted views lol.

PistoldPete2

Derby County players in the 11v11 football database.

yep very ageing - take a look at this squad, only Steve Buckley worth anything

Stevie Powell, Archie and Bob Davison put a full season shift in. So did Dave Watson

1983-84 season statistics

Sqd Player From Position A S G P Y R
Brian Attley [(WAL)] Midfielder 14 1
Vjekoslav Banovic Goalkeeper 3 0 - -
John Barton Right back 24 0
Paul Blades [(ENG)] Defender 4 0
Steve Buckley Left back 36 0
Kenny Burns [(SCO)] Defender/Centre back 13 0
Bobby Campbell [(NIR)] Forward 12 0 4
Steve Cherry [(ENG)] Goalkeeper 45 0 - -
Bobby Davison [(ENG)] Forward 47 0 18
Eamonn Deacy [(IRL)] Full back 5 0
Steve Devine [(NIR)] Defender 9 1
Jake Findlay Goalkeeper 1 0 - -
Paul Futcher [(ENG)] Central defender 23 0
Andy Garner [(ENG)] Forward 14 0 5
Archie Gemmill [(SCO)] Midfielder 44 0 3 3
Graham Harbey Left back 21 0
Andy Hill Forward 1 0
Paul Hooks Midfielder 21 0 1
Sean Lane [(ENG)] Midfielder 1 0
John McAlle [(ENG)] Defender/Centre back 15 2 2
Roy McFarland [(ENG)] Defender/Centre back 4 5
Ray O'Brien [(IRL)] Full back 4 0
Calvin Plummer Winger 28 5 4
Steve Powell [(ENG)] Midfielder/Defender 42 0 1
Dick Pratley Central defender 1 1
John Robertson [(SCO)] Midfielder 37 0 2 1
Dave Watson [(ENG)] Defender 39 2 1
Kevin Wilson [(NIR)] Forward 31 8 3

Looks a great squad on paper until you realise most of the star names were way way past their best. McFarland had really retired, and was assistant manager. Archie still had something left but only really remember the Cup games against Forest and Norwich. Even so with Bobby davison and all we should have had enough to stay up. 

i always wondered how cloughie felt, going from roy mcfarland and colin todd to larry lloyd and kenny burns.

thats about the biggest come down imaginable.

This post is getting dangerously close to the IQ of Mr Burns....

​Yours was the 62nd post - that's way too high an IQ for dear old Kenny.

I'm surprised to see this thread. Kenny Burns always writes incoherent drivel - I actually thought this particular aticle of his was slightly above (his) average. It's probably nearing the level that a 9 or 10 year old would write. Leave the fellow alone. We don't want to be seen to be bullying the intellectually challenged of Nottingham.

It has been a bad few weeks for managers as the season ends, including those with Nottingham Forest connections.

McClaren was sacked by Derby and former player  Nigel Clough was given his marching orders by Sheffield United.

I think McClaren can count himself unlucky. It's been intimated that the talk of him going to Newcastle was a distraction which cost them promotion.

That should be nonsense. It shouldn't affect players  at all.

These players are paid good money to play  for a big club. The fact is they've choked for two years now when promotion has been in their hands. They've let the manager and the club down.

Now you are looking at Paul Clement coming in as the new boss having previously been Real Madrid number two.

From Real Madrid to Derby County. What a come down that is! It's like going from Forest to Ilkeston.

I'm not so sure Nigel was unlucky to get sacked by Sheffield United. He did great in the cups, but the league is the bread and butter and they've not won promotion.

I'm friends with a Sheffield United fan and he tells me the supporters weren't convinced.

They went to Swindon in the play-offs, scored five goals in the second leg and lost. When that happens it's not right.

There are times when I don't get clubs getting rid of their manager. Sam Allardyce was sacked by West Ham ten seconds after the final whistle went against Newcastle.

That was poor. He'd done a good job but it seems they wanted a foreign coach , as so many clubs do.

I don't get that. There are some great up and coming British managers out there.

Look at Alex Neil at Norwich or Mark Warburton at Brentford. He took them to the play-offs and got the sack.

Brentford in the Championship  play-offs, come off it. They won't go close next year.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Kenny-Burns-column-Forest-boss-McClaren-let-Derby/story-26602655-detail/story.html#ixzz3bp4pUAkI 
Follow us: @Nottingham_Post on Twitter | NottinghamPostOnline on Facebook

How does this guy get a say? A 6 year old could of done better!

Do you think the editers every get f(_)cked off with Kenny doing all his work (if you could call it that) in crayon?

Hate to be a bore but some posts are going to far in this thread, tone it down will you please, my arse is twitching and I don't fancy having any more lawyers on my case. Be critical of the article fine but lay off the personal stuff. Thanking you.

Archived