FIFA 16: EA Sports game to feature women for first time

Day

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least women don't roll about pretending to be missing a limb every 5 minutes. 

Everything seems too big though?  The goals too big for the keepers. The pitch too big for the players.  Most games end up looking like the tired last 20 minutes of a charity match. 

Got no problem with it on TV or in video games though. I watched Man United v Arsenal on Super Sunday and these two titans bored me to death. Yet we'll still all buy the hype next season. All about branding isn't it really? Women's game is way behind but that's not a crime. 

to be honest the first season up would be mainly - "wonder if we can sneak a draw" not a great way to spend Saturdays. But of course I want it to happen.

​Balls to that! We keep the ball better than a good few teams up there as we are and we'd be able to hurt them!

But that's a completely different debate.

It makes more sense putting the women's internationals on FIFA than it did putting the Saudi-Arabian league on it. I'm still not really that bothered though.

I struggle to understand who EA are trying to appeal to with this addition. Call me skeptical, but I can't imagine everyone's wife/girlfriend is suddenly going to join in with FIFA sessions because there are women in the game.

The number of women interested in football is relatively small. The number of women interested in sports video games is small. The number of women who are interested in both of those things, but refuse to play unless there are female avatars is miniscule.

For the people saying "just don't use women's teams" you've got the wrong end of the stick. It's not about some weird pathological hatred of women. People who like FIFA are annoyed that EA are dedicating time and resources to this in order to placate a very small demographic, when there are areas of the game that desperately need overhauling and have done for years.

It's very cynical marketing from EA. It generates publicity and also allows them to dismiss any valid criticism of the game as misogyny. They have done this previously with other games (Dragon Age, Mass Effect) by dismissing criticism as homophobia after they insisted on shoehorning embarrassing "romance" options into what were supposed to be action rpg titles.

I struggle to understand who EA are trying to appeal to with this addition. Call me skeptical, but I can't imagine everyone's wife/girlfriend is suddenly going to join in with FIFA sessions because there are women in the game.

The number of women interested in football is relatively small. The number of women interested in sports video games is small. The number of women who are interested in both of those things, but refuse to play unless there are female avatars is miniscule.

For the people saying "just don't use women's teams" you've got the wrong end of the stick. It's not about some weird pathological hatred of women. People who like FIFA are annoyed that EA are dedicating time and resources to this in order to placate a very small demographic, when there are areas of the game that desperately need overhauling and have done for years.

It's very cynical marketing from EA. It generates publicity and also allows them to dismiss any valid criticism of the game as misogyny. They have done this previously with other games (Dragon Age, Mass Effect) by dismissing criticism as homophobia after they insisted on shoehorning embarrassing "romance" options into what were supposed to be action rpg titles.

​Call me skeptical, but if that happened most of the lads would search something else to do.

they should first fix manager mode

i could think of quite a few good ideas to make it better than it is now and im not even paid to do it. manager mode could be great.

i bet the first thing they will do with the womans teams is to make a new version of ultimate team where you can buy packs etc.

​Which areas are these, exactly? The career mode is crap, anything else?

Took them about 5 years to add the most important feature in FIFA history. I am of course talking about Pirlo's beard. Now if they'd just sort out Marco Reus' hair. 

If they want to play around with gender roles they'd do better acknowledging men like playing around with style these days.

Archived