Championship Odds 2015/16

Kernow

I was looking at the odds for the play-off final, Norwich 5/6, Boro 11/10 if you're interested... and stumbled across the "2015/16 Winner & Promotion odds"

Obviously very very early days and this will all change, but with only 3 unknown teams for the 2015/16 season - the final relegated side, the final promoted side and the play-off final loser, the odds are as follows:

TO WIN:

Derby 11/1

Brentford & Burnley 12/1

Bristol City, QPR, Wolves & Ipswich 16/1

Forest & Wednesday 18/1

The only market available is with Sky Bet, but they see us as early favourites. Like I said, this will all obviously change. We started last season at 8/1 to win the league. Anyone think the current odds are realistic? I expect the loser of the play-off final to be above us for sure, and possibly the third relegated team. Let's say Hull go in at second favourites behind Boro/Norwich, that means we would be third favourites to go up.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think as soon as whoever fails to go up out of boro and Norwich and the third relegated premier team is confirmed, they will go above us as favourites. Also then we will have to wait and see how transfers go for all teams over the summer to see how we all shape up.

I know. I was surprised to see that they have a market for it already considering the 2014/15 season isn't even finished yet. Coral also have Burnley at 3/1 and QPR 4/1 to win this season's play-offs (???).

Impossible to call it. QPR could get fined to oblivion and end up a lot less fancied whereas if we signed half of the players we've been rumoured to be interested in then we should definitely be favourites or around there.

I know. I was surprised to see that they have a market for it already considering the 2014/15 season isn't even finished yet. Coral also have Burnley at 3/1 and QPR 4/1 to win this season's play-offs (???).

Impossible to call it. QPR could get fined to oblivion and end up a lot less fancied whereas if we signed half of the players we've been rumoured to be interested in then we should definitely be favourites or around there.

​Yeah its weird but they know there is a market for it and certain punters will already be putting bets on for things like that as stupid as it sounds, seen as the odds will fluctuate massively.

​If there's someone prepared to throw money at it, there's a market.

P.T. Barnum was right about that.

Find it difficult to pick a potential top six (even taking into account how early it is) maybe more so than previous summers.

Ordinarily you'd look to the relegated prem sides as your first port of call, however I don't read it like that this time.

QPR could and should be in all sorts of 5hite over the next few months which you would imagine will cause too much disruption for on field success in the same way Fulham were affected last season (albeit not for exactly the same reasons). This is before factoring in their current squad will be broken up with the probable loss of key players like Green, Austin and Barton. Wouldn't be going anywhere near them as a betting proposition.

Burnley massively overachieved two seasons ago. They deserved it at the time through good team ethic, effective coaching along with a solid defence, but my feeling is that was a 'one off' season and with a largely mediocre squad, minus Ings they will not be top two material. Can see them hovering around play-offs or returning to mid-table.

Hull will most likely be the final relegated side. I see them having the best chance at an immediate return, they will probably have the squad best equipped of the three and if Bruce stays, have a manager with a track record of Championship promotions.

Likely candidates (in my humble):

Us - provided no repeat of the end of season nervous breakdown. Already a strong squad for this level, seemingly with the potential to invest in good quality Championship players and strong links with top prem sides regarding quality loans.

Norwich/Boro - Of the two I think Norwich would be clear top two candidates. Very strong squad, ambitious young manager, parachute payments etc. Middlesborough have a solid squad and an excellent manager. Bamford will be gone but they appear to have first dibs on Chelsea's best youngsters and would more than likely challenge strongly again.

Wolves - Fresh, ambitious, talented young squad. Brimming with confidence and momentum from their past two campaigns.

Bristol City - Momentum counts for a lot in football, they have it and could easily see them replicating a Norwich or Soton scenario. Didn't rate Cotterill much before this year mind.

Ipswich - Through much of the season just gone I thought they were bang average and punching above their weight with the squad that they had. However, they never went away and finished the season strongly, giving Norwich a decent contest in the play-offs and Mccarthy is very consistent in producing teams to challenge at this level.

So there we go......that pretty much turned into a waffle and didn't include much information relating to odds or betting

The trend tends to be that not at all 3 relegated sides put up the fight they would hope they would, it's just remarkably hard to pick out which one at minimum will fail to impress.

At an early glance I'd say sides who would be aiming for top 6 as a very minimum would include Derby, Norwich/Boro, QPR, Burnley, Hull/last relegated side, Wolves. Then you'll have the likes of Brentford, Ipswich, Forest, Bristol City, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday who shouldn't see a finish outside the top 6 as a failure, but would be quietly confident of being able to finish there or there abouts.

Dismiss Bristol City at your peril, next seasons Bournemouth/Brentford I'll wager.

Blackburn will be very strong as well I think.

​Aren't they under some kind of embargo similar to Forest?

​Blackburn has quite big financial problems and looks like they have to sell Rhodes and Gestede. That's over 40 goals. If that (likely) scenario happens, can't see them replacing those two with similar ability. And therefore, can't see them on promotion fight.

I can't see us getting anywhere near next season.

the first time we have a couple of defeats, which is going to happen at some point, the knives will come out again.

IMO we've missed the boat, and it'll be another long spell before we're capable of challenging again.

the first time we have a couple of defeats, which is going to happen at some point, the knives will come out again.

IMO we've missed the boat, and it'll be another long spell before we're capable of challenging again.

Curb that optimism Curb!:blush:

That's the spirit.

I too used to be a pessimistic, but for some reason, I'm happy with our club going into next season. Even if we made no transfers, in or out, we would finish mid table as a minimum, more likely top 8 again. Few tweaks, and increased morale, we'll be fine.

Odds aren't a statement of probability of the teams success. They're merely a statement of the returns a bookmaker is prepared to offer to punters in order to maintain their profit margins in the event of success.

Odds could be anything - I don't care. However, in terms of likelihood of Derby's success I would say that it should be quite high if we can make the developments to the squad personnel, coaching, fitness and tactics noted elsewhere.

I can see all of the 3 relegated teams having issues (different ones) next season. Forest will struggle in my view with an embargo and Asahmnotfitanylonga side-lined. Ipswich I think overachieved and Brentford could be a busted flush. No reason at all that we shouldn't be there or thereabouts.

My biggest fear right at this moment is Mac completely blows up, draws completely the wrong conclusions from the season just gone and saddles us with all the wrong players next year. As he did at Florest.

QPR have just appointed Ramsey as their permanent manager until 2018. I guess his PL record was enough to deserve the job...

​sometimes a club is on such a downward spiral, even the bestest ever manager would struggle.

I for one think this is a clever move by QPR. Stability. They must have a load of players out of contract to stop them losing much more in over-inflated wages, but I think they're steadying themselves for the post-Redknapp turmoil, and hopefully handing it differently. All the clubs that Harry previously left actually compounded their own situations by lots of quick, knee jerk, bad decisions afterwards.

Archived