Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love Toumani Diagouraga from Brenford he bossed it in defensive midfield at the iPro this season

Also a cheeky loan bid for Rickie Lambert, unlikely but would be the perfect player to come in for Martin if he ever cant play

Would love Toumani Diagouraga from Brenford he bossed it in defensive midfield at the iPro this season

Also a cheeky loan bid for Rickie Lambert, unlikely but would be the perfect player to come in for Martin if he ever cant play

​Going to Chelski.

Ian Harte is being released from Bournemouth. Wise old head, etc etc.

​Going to Chelski.

Ian Harte is being released from Bournemouth. Wise old head, etc etc.

​We have one of those in Warnock, Harte would just be 3rd in line at LB and would push Lee Naylor's squad status from "why is he here?" to "why the **** is he actually here?!"

Diagouraga looked promising 7 years ago for Hereford when I saw him play.  The concern is that he's 27 and was loaned out to Portsmouth earlier in the year.

Hardly sounds like a consistently good player?  Could be a decent back up to Thorne I suppose.

Two options for the defence:

Sylvain Distin is out of contract at Everton. He's 37 but he's an experienced wise old head who might relish a new late career challenge.

Or didn't Micah Richards play for England under Mac? Maybe I'm imagininig it. He'd be expensive, but I do believe he's the sort of callibre defender who we could build a future Premier League defence around. On loan from Citeh at Italy last season. But who knows what his plans are for next season.

This caught my eye, could be a good signing initially for our U21 side:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/sport-opinion/its-vital-coventry-city-hold-9193653

It may be a case of we’ll believe it when we see it, but should James Maddison still be a Coventry City player next season it’s a mouth-watering prospect.

Most fans, no doubt, will have already reached the conclusion that the club will cash in on the genuine wonder kid to the highest bidder after the sort of ‘will he, won’t he’ interlude we had last summer with Callum Wilson.

Had the Sky Blues managed to hold on to him it’s surely safe to say they would be preparing themselves for the play-offs this week rather than fighting to keep Tony Mowbray days after battling to stay in the division.

Young Madders has shown flashes of brilliance and inspiration in a number of cameo performances this season but his contribution at Crawley was on another level and, for me, reminiscent of Robbie Keane’s debut against Derby County at Highfield Road.

Chris Wood as back-up for Martin, similar build and has done well in this league before, don't think he's played for Leicester much and went on loan somewhere at the end of this season, if I remember correctly?

​He went to Ipswich. 8 games no goals.

​He went to Ipswich. 8 games no goals.

​He did well At Leicester (in the champ) and Millwall, did he not? I remember when Martin came to us on loan at the end of the season without playing much before and he wasn't up to much. But to be honest probably plenty of other targets out there that are within our reach 

​He did well At Leicester (in the champ) and Millwall, did he not? I remember when Martin came to us on loan at the end of the season without playing much before and he wasn't up to much. But to be honest probably plenty of other targets out there that are within our reach 

​I know, he'd be OK but he's not the sort of striker to throw on if you need a goal, so we'd need another striker on the bench too. He would be good for playing when Martin can't, but other than that I couldn't see him getting much game time

​I know, he'd be OK but he's not the sort of striker to throw on if you need a goal, so we'd need another striker on the bench too. He would be good for playing when Martin can't, but other than that I couldn't see him getting much game time

​I'd rather have another striker in the mould of Martin than someone to throw on if you need to score a goal. Whilst Bent rescued points coming off the bench, we also fell to pieces completely when Martin was injured. With Martin or even a Martin-style striker (creative, draws fouls, good with back to goal) playing the last 15 games I think we'd be comfortably in the top 6. 

If we could guarantee Martin never has another injury, I'd want Bent, of course. But if Martin has another significant injury next season I think we'd severely regret pursuing Bent over someone like Wood.

​I'd rather have another striker in the mould of Martin than someone to throw on if you need to score a goal. Whilst Bent rescued points coming off the bench, we also fell to pieces completely when Martin was injured. With Martin or even a Martin-style striker (creative, draws fouls, good with back to goal) playing the last 15 games I think we'd be comfortably in the top 6. 

If we could guarantee Martin never has another injury, I'd want Bent, of course. But if Martin has another significant injury next season I think we'd severely regret pursuing Bent over someone like Wood.

We never really stopped scoring when Martin got injured though, we suffered more with the loss of the holding midfielder. Martin is a fantastic player for us and brings so much to our play, but we never really suffered without him we managed to get a 2-2 draw against Bournemouth with Bent up front, we suffered a lot more with the injuries to Mascarell and Eustace. 

Archived