Dean Saunders is set to become the new manager of Chesterfield.

Gary Teale

FORMER Derby County striker Dean Saunders is set to become the new manager of Chesterfield.

Saunders, who was with the Rams from 1888 to 1991 during which time he scored 42 goals in 106 appearances, will replace Paul Cook, who left the Spireites to take over at Portsmouth.

Cook took Chesterfield to the League One play-offs in which they were beaten by Preston North End. He quit the Derbyshire team on Tuesday and replaced Andy Awford, who was sacked by the Fratton Park outfit last month.

Saunders (50), an ex-Wales international, has previously managed Wolverhampton Wanderers, Wrexham and Doncaster Rovers.

He ended last season as stand-in manager manager of Crawley but was unable to prevent them from being relegated to League Two.

He took charge of Crawley on an interim basis in December after John Gregory, another former Derby County player and manager, stepped down to undergo major open heart surgery.

Crawley's demotion means Saunders has now suffered relegation in three of the last four season after being in charge when Doncaster were relegated from the Championship in 2012 and being unable to save Wolves from the same fate the following year.

Under Saunders, Crawley won eight of his 24 League games in charge but they suffered relegation on the last day of the season and Gregory then announced on Saturday that he would not return to the club.

Saunders faces a difficult task in succeeding Cook after he guided Chesterfield to the League Two title and a sixth-place finish in League One in his two full seasons in charge.

I loved him as a player but how the heck does he keep getting jobs?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was he Doncaster manager when they were relegated? I know he was manager when they were top the following season, and to say he was relegated with Wolves is untrue, he was sacked before it happened I think, having only been there a couple of months.

I think he might surprise a few there. Been a while since he's had a pre-season with a team, and a transfer window. 

It's easy to write someone off when they've only done fire-fighting, but sometimes the task is impossible.

I respect him for taking the challenges, and think he did so because it's better learning. He will do well, I can feel it.

Why would Cook leave to go to Portsmouth struggling in League 2?

​I think it was reported that Pompey have paid 250k for him. They clearly have money for him to do a very good job in League Two and I expect a much bigger transfer budget & wage than Chesterfield could ever offer.

Why would Cook leave to go to Portsmouth struggling in League 2?

I spoke to a chestefield fan who claimed to be itk with barry hubbard (?)- the former chairman - and he told stories about hotel rooms getting wrecked, a £92k bill, a resultant loss of sponsorship, and various other incidents which if true would provide a different perspective. another fan was spouting supposed salary figures and alleging a certain degree of activity with local turf accountants. Some strange stuff. 

I think he might surprise a few there. Been a while since he's had a pre-season with a team, and a transfer window. 

It's easy to write someone off when they've only done fire-fighting, but sometimes the task is impossible.

I respect him for taking the challenges, and think he did so because it's better learning. He will do well, I can feel it.

​I still remember when you were touting him for the Derby job while Nige was here Mostyn.

and I thought I was full of blind faith for defending Nige to the hilt.

If Saunders ever makes a success of a managerial campaign, I'll eat my own boxer shorts.

I know he's one of your heroes but you've got to let go of the dream he's a decent manager, He's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Poor bloody Chesterfield after the couple of seasons they've had with an upward trajectory.

​I still remember when you were touting him for the Derby job while Nige was here Mostyn.

If Saunders ever makes a success of a managerial campaign, I'll eat my own boxer shorts.

I know he's one of your heroes but you've got to let go of the dream he's a decent manager, He's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Poor bloody Chesterfield after the couple of seasons they've had with an upward trajectory.

​Bookmarked

;)

​I'm with Mostyn on this - he hasn't really had a clean start as a manager since Wrexham (where he did a decent job). Ever since then all his jobs have essentially been "stop the rot" scenarios. 

He's definitely a manager I'd like to see do well. 

​When Saunders left Wrexham, they were top of the conference, same as Burton were when Nigel left. 

At Doncaster, with far less budget than Nigel has at Sheff United, and much less quality, Deano got them to the top of the league in his first season, remind me how Nigel did!

I don't want to make it a Deano v Nigel debate, part of me really wants Nigel to find the right formula.

How are you judging success? Deano has had as much success as Nigel, do you judge Nigel as a success or failure?

Archived