SIGNED: Darren Bent

BottrillRAM

Darren Bent signing prediction  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure about that mate.

he's just a pacy striker without alot of pace. Good around the 6 yard box - if its still called that - but of limited value outside the penalty area.

​If you look at the goals he scored for Derby, the sum distance is about 30 yards - and 2 of those were penalties. He just has a happy knack of getting on the end of things.

​If you look at the goals he scored for Derby, the sum distance is about 30 yards - and 2 of those were penalties. He just has a happy knack of getting on the end of things.

Agreed.

i just feel that if he put the after burners on, then all his strings would snap.

​...

coca cola is just an alcoholic beverage without the alcahol >insert facepalm here<

It started as an alcoholic beverage.....so thats not a bad analogy :) 

so people don't want to sign Bent because he doesn't fit into a failing system? Interesting!

​What was the failing system? Derby looked a far better side when Martin was the lone striker and we had two pacey, direct wingers on either side.

I'd rather we bought Gestede. If we're going to splash out loads on wages on Bent, why not save that money and splash out on a bigger transfer fee on a player who fits the system and will likely increase in price in the coming years.

​What was the failing system? Derby looked a far better side when Martin was the lone striker and we had two pacey, direct wingers on either side.

I'd rather we bought Gestede. If we're going to splash out loads on wages on Bent, why not save that money and splash out on a bigger transfer fee on a player who fits the system and will likely increase in price in the coming years.

​If people here are critical of Bent because he ONLY scores goals, they'll be spitting feathers with Gestede, he's lazy as sausage.

The system failure was nothing to do with Martin being absent. It failed because it couldn't cope with the opponents movement.

Striker who has scored one in every two games all his career and to get him for free is no brainer. And with us stats are even more impressive eventho we played badly all the time he was here. Bent is going to score even more if start dominating games like we did with fully fit team.

He might not offer much else, but goals are enough for me.

If and i stress if, what's being reported is reasonably accurate, then Bent cannot possibly be looked upon as a free. £4m over a 4 year contract is massive and what McLaren will have to decide is whwhether a chunk of that money is better spent on strengthening other areas of the squad. 

My view is that it's too much of a gamble on a player who may well not be a cast iron starter week in, week out. That's not to say I don't think we need another striker as backup to Martin.

The issue isnt the cost over four years if we give him £20k a week. That's the same as signing a player for one million and paying him nothing. (For the first year)

my issue is more with the fact that what he would be earning against others in the squad and if he was on more, would it affect harmony?

however, to turn down a guy for scoring 12 in 17, I genuinely ask what people want? Players with a one in five record?

Striker who has scored one in every two games all his career and to get him for free is no brainer. And with us stats are even more impressive eventho we played badly all the time he was here. Bent is going to score even more if start dominating games like we did with fully fit team.

He might not offer much else, but goals are enough for me.

Goals?  Just goals?  A bit overrated are goals IMO. 

The issue isnt the cost over four years if we give him £20k a week. That's the same as signing a player for one million and paying him nothing. (For the first year)

my issue is more with the fact that what he would be earning against others in the squad and if he was on more, would it affect harmony?

however, to turn down a guy for scoring 12 in 17, I genuinely ask what people want? Players with a one in five record?

A player like Bent joining full time will enhance our chances of promotion, and will allow the entire squad to potentially reach the dream of the Premiership, and take their career to the next level.

Shows ambition. Could work both ways! 

Summer of 2011 our 'premier' forward signing = Nathan Tyson

Summer of 2015 our (potential) 'premier' forward signing = Darren Bent

Embrace the progress, don't reject it!

Oh god. I remember the OS producing an article saying we had a "marquee" signing the night before.... 

Some me people forget how far we've come

A player like Bent joining full time will enhance our chances of promotion, and will allow the entire squad to potentially reach the dream of the Premiership, and take their career to the next level.

Shows ambition. Could work both ways! 

I would take him right now, and Ince if he was available. Goals win games. 

Defence will need sorting though.

Archived