SIGNED: Darren Bent

BottrillRAM

Darren Bent signing prediction  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bent really ain't the problem. People say that when Martin was injured, Bent didn't suit the system. 

Even if he doesn't, that not his problem, that's the managers problem for not changing it. Anyway, we still scored a hatfall of goals, it was defensive errors that cost us. 

Bent would be a cracking addition 

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the classic negative attitude from fans that isn't helping. Russell is a hard-working, technically gifted player that is very capable of being in our starting eleven. He's more than capable of producing an end product, and getting at the opposition on the counter.

​Lol, I'd argue it's less negative and more realistic.

At no point did I say he wasn't hard-working, technically gifted or starting XI quality. I think he's all of those actually. He's just never going to score 20 goals for us.

From what I've seen from his interviews and from Simmo talking about him, I think he's worked hard. With 12 goals in 17, he's exactly what we need alongside Martin in my opinion. Admittedly, Warnock and Shotton have been awful but Bent is a different type of player and has proved himself thus far far more than the other two. 

On that note, when can we get rid of Warnock?

On a 4 year contract when pace is his biggest attribute to getting into goal scoring positions no thanks 

​I think that you have missed a fundamental issue regarding your statement that '...pace is his biggest attribute to getting into goalscoring situations', as though that is a derogatory attribute. Not sure what your point is, are you suggesting that

a) he is a one-trick pony like Theo, i.e. his only attribute is pace

or

b) as he ages over the length of his contract, the pace will desert him and so the goalscoring will dry up.

Poachers (and Bent is one) don't need pace over 50 yards, 20 yards or 10 yards - they don't necessarily make gut-bursting runs to get into the box. Their strength is their pace over 1 yard - the ability to react to a situation quicker than the defender.

​Lol, I'd argue it's less negative and more realistic.

At no point did I say he wasn't hard-working, technically gifted or starting XI quality. I think he's all of those actually. He's just never going to score 20 goals for us.

​I think he needs a coach to work with. He does have a lot of attributes and I'm always glad when he plays but he needs to work on:-

a) His defence - which is awful and which is important as cover for his full-back

b) His decision-making when he runs with the ball. I love to see him in full flight but I am not convinced he sees others around him once he has his head down. Training blind-folded can be good as you learn to react to hearing alone.

He works really well with Martin and I'm not too worried about his finishing if he can create for others. If he becomes a goalscorer too we won't keep him.

I don't want us to sign Bent, I really don't.

Comes across as one of those desperate, wage-sucking signings which do little good to the team. Yes he's a talented player, but he's not what we need.

We need that naive youthfulness back from last season which produced fast football, not experienced pros who will slow the game down.

I'm worried for us this summer. I don't want to say it, but looking at Shotton, Warnock and now Mac targetting Bent - it's these 'experienced' type of signings which ultimately ruined him at Forest.

I have to agree at this, at the time mcclaren made those signings at forest I thought they were excellent then they turned out awful in the championship. Tbh I think Shotton is a decent player, probably get slated but I think ATM he's our best defender, he's calmer than the rest more unlikely to make a mistake but sometimes to calm, warnock did ok, loves to put a challenge in, but towards the latter part of the season everything at the back went wrong, we didn't defend as a team. I have to agree on your youthfulness part, we need young talent that's hungry more hungry than the older type. Ince is a must, a 25-29 year old defender who has experience. Tbh I would sign bent for his goals but other signings must be different in types off age and attitude. I also doubt nixon he's probably nowhere near signing he will spend most of the summer wanting a perm contract.

Not really fussed about signing Bent as not sure he fits the system unless we alter it and then would that suit Martin so well? Re Shotton I think he needs to do far better than he has done so far, been very disappointed with him for a big man, doesn't really use his physique at all and as for more unlikely to make a mistake, he seemed to make lots of mistakes for me which also cost goals, wouldn't have him as first choice, might be passable for occasional cover if he works on his game.

He's liking dcfcofficial pictures on instagram it's a sign lol

​That settles it then.

Only another 996 pages to go before he can become a Thorne in the side as far as the opposition is concerned.

I don't want us to sign Bent, I really don't.

Comes across as one of those desperate, wage-sucking signings which do little good to the team. Yes he's a talented player, but he's not what we need.

We need that naive youthfulness back from last season which produced fast football, not experienced pros who will slow the game down.

I'm worried for us this summer. I don't want to say it, but looking at Shotton, Warnock and now Mac targetting Bent - it's these 'experienced' type of signings which ultimately ruined him at Forest.

​Ishail Miller.....Derbyshire......etc

not inspiring is it. But i thought that was Evans was there for, Mac describes types and Evans + scouts locates the names.

Unless Albentosa has been such a clusterf**k that they have changed the system.

Bent is one of those annoying, unpredictable and frustrating sort of players...... To play against!

He's in the mould of Charlie George, George Best, etc.

His individuality is his greatest strength as far as the Rams are concerned.

He and Martin are not mutual threats and if they each top the 20+ goals in a season, I'm not complaining!

Bent is one of those annoying, unpredictable and frustrating sort of players...... To play against!

He's in the mould of Charlie George, George Best, etc.

His individuality is his greatest strength as far as the Rams are concerned.

He and Martin are not mutual threats and if they each top the 20+ goals in a season, I'm not complaining!

not sure about that mate.

he's just a pacy striker without alot of pace. Good around the 6 yard box - if its still called that - but of limited value outside the penalty area.

Archived