Mcclaren backtracking?

Derbados

Sounds to me like he's starting to back track a little bit? if he'd given the answers he gave in the telegraph recently when the Newcastle speculation started all of this will he wont he would have been avoided!

The thing that makes me the angriest out of all of this is the fact that he flat out refuses to accept that the speculation had any effect on the players etc?! of course it bloody did!! 

My personal opinion is that he had "unofficial" talks with Newcastle to take over during the season and the players got wind of it, derailing us and he made them buy into the idea of longevity with new contracts etc. All very cloak and dagger and his interviews on the subject were slippery to say the least! 

Maybe now Newcastle have seen our capitulation and changed their minds, because very quickly Mcclaren has become a lot more definitive on staying with us next season, like i said, i'f he'd bloody well have been this definitive a few months ago, a lot of this rubbish could have been avoided! 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like he's starting to back track a little bit? if he'd given the answers he gave in the telegraph recently when the Newcastle speculation started all of this will he wont he would have been avoided!

The thing that makes me the angriest out of all of this is the fact that he flat out refuses to accept that the speculation had any effect on the players etc?! of course it bloody did!! 

My personal opinion is that he had "unofficial" talks with Newcastle to take over during the season and the players got wind of it, derailing us and he made them buy into the idea of longevity with new contracts etc. All very cloak and dagger and his interviews on the subject were slippery to say the least! 

Maybe now Newcastle have seen our capitulation and changed their minds, because very quickly Mcclaren has become a lot more definitive on staying with us next season, like i said, i'f he'd bloody well have been this definitive a few months ago, a lot of this rubbish could have been avoided! 

​This does not work. All new contracts, players and staff, were signed in the summer. So not sure how that tallies with Newcastle talks during the season. 

Sounds like 2+2=128

​This does not work. All new contracts, players and staff, were signed in the summer. So not sure how that tallies with Newcastle talks during the season. 

Sounds like 2+2=128

​Because if he talked the players in to staying long term in the summer, buying into his long term plan when they had offers to go elsewhere and then half way through this season there's talk of him sodding off to Newcastle, they are hardly going to be impressed with him are they? 

"stay with club lad, you know it makes sense, sign a new contract and buy into my plan, i'm going nowhere" etc etc 

Roll on a few months 

"cheerio lads, im off to Newcastle!" 

Derby players :    ". . . . ." 

Can't help wondering if this is going to the first of many 'backtracking' ( by supporters) posts on here. Pathetic self-justification for believing all the garbage in the press.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink said this a few days ago in response to speculation  linking him with Leeds.

"Leeds is a very beautiful club. I'll make decisions for myself with my brain and not with my heart," Hasselbaink, 43, told BBC Radio Derby.

"It's difficult for me to talk about because they have a good manager at the moment who has done really well and I have a job here that I really like.

"It's not nice to talk about those kind of things."

adding: "I am committed to Burton and I will do everything in my power to make the club successful for as long as I am here.

"You can't do anything about rumours."

Don't see a lot of difference with the sorts of things MacClaren said. Difference is Burton are doing well at the moment.

I'm still struggling to see why a club in the Premier Leage would want him? Don't get me wrong; I want him to stay but he has taken a strong promotion favourite with a top quality squad and finished 8th. Where is the appeal? I appreciate Newcastle are in turmoil but they are a big club who will more than likely be in the top flight next season whatever happens. 

Macca has been treated by the press badly over the years and you can always sense he is very guarded whenever interviewed. You can't blame him for that nor can you blame him for keeping his career options..............fans, clubs, owners can turn on you quickly in football as indeed they are now it seems.

SillyBilly

Just disappointed. People on here talk about backing the team, manager and club 100%. We gave McClaren a great opportunity to come into a relatively safe job and where the fans would back him. Even the 8th finish would have been a brush ourselves down and put it right next season. like others have said we have seen far worse in recent years. He has made me question how much he has invested in the club and if he backtracks now when his stock is falling then it  is a hollow show of loyalty. McClaren's job is to get us prem football, I wouldnt begrudge him a top job if he delivered that. He might be better than Clough but clearly not the integrity of the man.

What back track?  He's not saying anything different to what he always said. 

One poster above even quotes Mc as saying cheerio. Wtf?  When did that happen?  Yet he's being criticised as if he said it!  

As I said in one of the other threads (can't remember - there are thousands) McClaren never forward tracked. Never anywhere has he intimated he had interest in the Newcastle job or wanted to leave and go there. Any "unrest" has been brought on by idiot supporters, helped by Radio Derby trying to make a story because that's the job of the press (of course including the newspapers).

I want a world where the futures of Derby's players and management are constantly being speculated about, because it means we're doing well. So long as fans have an ounce of intelligence, they'll understand it is a fool's game to explicit deny any rumour because the press will pounce on you and require you to deny the next 50, or else you're not showing loyalty and on it goes.

Don't get hysterical and enjoy the ride. Sadly that proved beyond much of the fanbase in the run-in, which I think is one of the things that destabilized us.

It was reported after the q&a that mcclaren had said he turned newcastle down in january.....did they all decide to wait until the end of the season.

was that said.

yes or no.

i don't know because i didn't go and no one bothered to post about how to get tickets.....grrrr.

It was reported after the q&a that mcclaren had said he turned newcastle down in january.....did they all decide to wait until the end of the season.

was that said.

yes or no.

i don't know because i didn't go and no one bothered to post about how to get tickets.....grrrr.

​I was there, he didn't say that. He said "there was reported interest in winter, I wasn't interested then.. I spoke to Sam Rush and said I'd have wanted to go 5 years ago"

​I was there, he didn't say that. He said "there was reported interest in winter, I wasn't interested then.. I spoke to Sam Rush and said I'd have wanted to go 5 years ago"

Ok. I accept that. It was therefore misreported.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Steve-McClaren-says-turned-Newcastle/story-26384552-detail/story.html

​How is he back-tracking?

Months ago, when he was asked about the Newcastle situation (to quote one newspaper, "….the worst-kept secret in football", McClaren in as many words implied that he had not been approached, and that he had spoken to Sam Rush at the time saying something along the lines of "…five years ago I would have been interested".

He's saying the same thing now.

It's your own interpretation of the same words that is changing.

As for me, I just don't know what to believe, so for the moment I'll just take the piss out of everybody for getting themselves all in a tizzy about nothing they can do anything about.

Ok. I accept that. It was therefore misreported.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Steve-McClaren-says-turned-Newcastle/story-26384552-detail/story.html

​yes, it was. Someone there (derbyblog or something) tweeted from there saying "McClaren turned down Newcastle in Winter" or something. Then from that, Owen Bradley tweeted something like "I'm astounded McClaren has said...", which then started a reaction amongst his followers, which went full circle, including Steve Nicholson, and before anyone had chance to correct it, the above was posted. But I expect nothing less from the DET nowadays.

I personally did correct Owen Bradley, but it's obvious to me that he's part of the witch hunt.

Archived