Eric Steele- From United to Derby

Ramos

Ronnie.......you make some valid points...but do you realise in business there are many ways to skin a cat. Do you think Rush actually rang McClaren directly? That would have been naive and dumb. An agent contracted to work for by Derby would have spoken to mcclarens agent....this breaks no rules. I am convinced as a successful business man Ashley will likely have done the same to us....hence Rush can say no approach has been to dcfc from Newcastle. All is fair in lov e and war.

both derby and now Newcastle have an "option" to hire mcclaren......

for the record I thought Nigel was harshly treated, in that he was not given enough time with his new way of playing etc. Those last three defeats were very unlucky and as we know Rush was signing players Nigel never approved of ( signed straight after nigels dismissal) we will never know how Nigel would have performs...(play offs would have been achieved I feel) however not getting on with your boss (Rush) is always fatal in the Long run..

this is an interesting article from Steele, but it shows nothing unexpected occurrd, unless you are believing life is fair etc etc. Note:Rush would not have spoken to mcclaren personally.....so I suggest you take care saying he did ....just advice.

​An approach was made to McClaren before the 29th. McClaren knew of the job opportunity before the 29th, whether it was Rush who spoke to him directly or not, I don't really care. The fact that the Mac would talk about the job when NIge was still in work is low level as well.

Rush said clearly in a number of interviews that no approach was made to Steve until after NC was sacked. So there's clearly an exaggeration of facts or some mistruths.

As for being careful Igor, I'm fairly sure there will be someone from the club reading this forum, let them sue me if they want, I've got less than bugger all anyway. They're welcome to take me for all I've got :-)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I can read fine thanks Mostyn.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/24331558

The link is McClaren, Steele and Simpson with Sam Rush on the 30th September, two days after the sacking of Nigel.

The same as I've got a very good memory and I/we was/were told by Sam Rush that NO approach had been made to another manager while Nigel was still in charge.

I don't care about the timing, I care about the lying. He lied. He lied about backing the manager, he lied about why he fired the manager and he lied about how and when he lined up his replacement. He (that's Sam Rush) went into the Forest game hoping we'd lose so he could fire the manager, if we'd won that game we would have been in 8th in the table after a VERY tricky first 9 games and it would have been impossible to justify getting rid of Nigel then.

If you lot choose not to care about that then that's fine. I care, It pissed me off no end at the time and it still pisses me off now. I think Rush is a conman, you all think he's god.

I'm fairly sure which one of us is right.

​So what if he lied? who cares? he did it for the right reasons and those were that no matter how you look at it, had we even beaten Forest (which we did not) we were stagnant as a club. Gates were down, morale was low, fans were disconnected, the football was bland. 

Rush has transformed the club, you cannot deny that, through sponsorship, change of management etc. Gates are now up massively home and away, season ticket sales are at an all time high, we are stable financially, we now attract players like Darren Bent, Jordan Ibe, Tom Ince, Andre Wisdom etc through Macs pull and the way we conduct our business. Our football is the most exciting i have seen since Burleys team. I have never felt better as a Derby fan than i do currently, we are now a club on the up and look likely again to hit the playoffs, for me Rush IS a god! 

Hi Ronnie, long time no speak as they say..................... (Hope the following doesn't sound patronising by the way)

I really do understand and remember the high regard you hold not only Brian Clough but the whole Clough family including Nigel. Your loyalty is born I remember from your personal dealing with Brian which quite rightly you will never forget.

You are right I would suggest in that Nigel was unfairly treated but looking at things dispassionately so are many others and not only in football. Sam Rush did what company executives are paid to do. It wasn't personal to Nigel, Nigel just happened to be the one who wasn't at the time filling the stadium, wasn't uniting the club (remember the divide on here for instance) and wasn't generating a feeling of optimism.

I would be amazed if Sam Rush didn't let it be known to McClaren a job could soon be in the offing in advance. It may be the timing was embarrassing but the timing of who said what to who and when is really the devil in the detail. These things happen I'm afraid. To quote an old cliché' "Its football".

On another matter I noticed the actual Ronnie Ronalde passed away in January this year. Not sure if you were a fan of his or not (my Dad was & I'm 58) but boy could that fellah whistle.............

Anyone who thinks that "taping up" doesnt happen is totally deluded.

I guarantee that Sam Rush has already spoken "informally" with a number of potential managers about the "possibility" fo there being an opening here......just like he would have done with Steve and Nigel...and he isn't goign to come out and say it is he...

No matter what was the result of that game, Rush made correct decision. Timing could've been better, I give you that. It should've happened way earlier.

It was the BEST decision ever at DCFC anyway.  Rush is GOD

@ronnieronalde I cannot see the issue here, there's nothing new here, we know this from a Paul Simpson interview about a week after coming here. Here is roughly the timeline to help you:-

Forest beat Derby - Day 1

Derby sack Clough - Day 1

Derby ring Qpr and then ring McClaren - Day 1

McClaren rings Steele and Simpson to sound them out about the job - Day 1

Media finds out but nothing official - Day 2

Derby announce new coaching setup - Day 3

Derby announce that Wassall will remain in charge for the Ipswich game -Day 3

Steve calls Steele and tells him he's 12miles from Pride Park - Day 4

Ipswich visit - Day 4.

------------------------------------

You're making far too much out of a press conference/interview with a man sharing an anecdote. There's nothing totally factual in there, unless you're saying the iPro drinks deal was done way ahead of when it was announced too! After all, doesn't Steele say McClaren mentioned 'ipro stadium'? which was of course, still pride park then!

As poor a hand as Nige was dealt by being sacked, I think it's fair to say it was best for all parties involved - and I include Nige in that. I backed him to the hilt and was disappointed with the manner he was moved along, but having seen how well he's done at SUFC, I reckon he's probably a bit happier there then he was here. 

Deffo the right decision for Derby. I've never been Rush's biggest fan myself, but even I'm now happy to admit he made the right call. 

I think it shows more about you Ronnie than either rush or Steve Mac.

However he came to the outcome, the underlying factor that cannot be denied, is as a result of it we have progressed as a club and are in a much better posistion than we were after the forest game in which we lost last year.  

I don't think it's no surprise you have surfaced again, fueled by a hate for rush, and a dislike for Mac based upon what happened to Clough, at a time the club is going through a bad run of results.  I appreciate that you think Clough was treated badly, and that is your right, however I applaud Rush for making a call that has been fully vindicated, and don't give a monkeys when he engaged with Steve in the first instance.

I think from your admission, and apologies if I'm wrong, but you have more affection towards Nigel than the club, a lot of people, me included don't, NC never appeared in a derby shirt, I used to boo him when he played against us, and thank him for the job he did, but am glad he is not in charge any more.  

Sam rush has a job to do, and if he wants to be successful I'm sure he will upset more than you on the way.

@ronnieronalde I cannot see the issue here, there's nothing new here, we know this from a Paul Simpson interview about a week after coming here. Here is roughly the timeline to help you:-

Forest beat Derby - Day 1

Derby sack Clough - Day 1

Derby ring Qpr and then ring McClaren - Day 1

McClaren rings Steele and Simpson to sound them out about the job - Day 1

Media finds out but nothing official - Day 2

Derby announce new coaching setup - Day 3

Derby announce that Wassall will remain in charge for the Ipswich game -Day 3

Steve calls Steele and tells him he's 12miles from Pride Park - Day 4

Ipswich visit - Day 4.

------------------------------------

You're making far too much out of a press conference/interview with a man sharing an anecdote. There's nothing totally factual in there, unless you're saying the iPro drinks deal was done way ahead of when it was announced too! After all, doesn't Steele say McClaren mentioned 'ipro stadium'? which was of course, still pride park then!

​Don't really want to get involved here because it doesn't really matter, but you're wrong Mostyn.

Steele was unveiled on Monday Sept 30th 2013. The day before that (refers to the "see you tomorrow" comment) is Sunday 29th, when everyone knew that McClaren was in for it. Four days before that is Wednesday 25th, which is when this conversation is likely to have taken place.

The Ipswich game is a reg herring, McClaren's not going to have a conversation telling Steele how far it is to the ground AFTER Steele's already been there to sign a contract and be unveiled!

Anyway, like I say, it was the right decision and it's all water under the bridge anyway!

​Don't really want to get involved here because it doesn't really matter, but you're wrong Mostyn.

Steele was unveiled on Monday Sept 30th 2013. The day before that (refers to the "see you tomorrow" comment) is Sunday 29th, when everyone knew that McClaren was in for it. Four days before that is Wednesday 25th, which is when this conversation is likely to have taken place.

The Ipswich game is a reg herring, McClaren's not going to have a conversation telling Steele how far it is to the ground AFTER Steele's already been there to sign a contract and be unveiled!

Anyway, like I say, it was the right decision and it's all water under the bridge anyway!

​my thinking is that they did the deal in a hotel and the press conferences at Moor Farm.

Why would he need to visit Pride Park before the Ipswich game?

As poor a hand as Nige was dealt by being sacked, I think it's fair to say it was best for all parties involved - and I include Nige in that. I backed him to the hilt and was disappointed with the manner he was moved along, but having seen how well he's done at SUFC, I reckon he's probably a bit happier there then he was here. 

Deffo the right decision for Derby. I've never been Rush's biggest fan myself, but even I'm now happy to admit he made the right call. 

​Totally agree. Isn't it strange how people see things so differently! Some folks on here "hate" Clough [their words, not mine]. Some are so frightened that he does well that they rejoice in any failure.. but 2 Semi Finals, 23rd to 5th, all in 18 months.

However, lots of United fans want to see the back of him. That record isn't good enough for them. They don't like his style  [this from fans who were "supporting" a team in 23rd position in League 1?]. I was reading yesterday that many fans want Wenger out as " 2nd plus a FA Cup win isn't good enough for Arsenal".

Some fans have gone mad. I can't quite work out why but I suspect that it's something to do with too much top class football on TV and critical analysis frame by frame. There's no room for anything that doesn't look like Barcelona at their best.

All very sad. Instant success in football is very unusual no matter what.

Anyway, based on that theme, I'm hoping Steve stays to carry on getting us to that next level. Too much chopping and changing won't help.

​my thinking is that they did the deal in a hotel and the press conferences at Moor Farm.

Why would he need to visit Pride Park before the Ipswich game?

​doubt they did it in a hotel but ok, it might be Moor Farm, hard to tell from the photo as there are Rams photos on the wall but no clear indication where it is http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24331558

We may be splitting hairs, but the point of the call would be as a joke reference by McClaren (ie it is inconceivable that Steele having lived in Derbyshire for 30 years wouldn't know where PP was and how far it was from his home) that he doesn't have to move in order to take the job.

He was either at PP or just down the road at Moor Farm on the Monday, signing on and being photographed. Again, it isn't feasible that AFTER all of that happens McClaren phones him to inform him how far PP is from his house! The 'see you tomorrow' reference in McClaren's call can only refer to the day Steele signs, which is the Monday. Why else would Eric tell the story like that? 

Anyway, we must really stop this, it's utterly inconsequential.

Archived